PDA

View Full Version : Is it true you never forget your first?

dhpgetsit
Oct-12-2011, 9:41pm
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/daud_photos/LilBigMuddy/Mandolin.jpg
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/daud_photos/LilBigMuddy/Mandolin2.jpg
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/daud_photos/LilBigMuddy/Mandolin3.jpg

Thanks, Ken Cartwright!

JEStanek
Oct-12-2011, 10:05pm
I haven't forgotten my Lone Star. Yours is a nicer first than mine was. Enjoy it!

Jamie

Jean Fugal
Oct-12-2011, 10:53pm
My first was a cheap taterbug, traded it for a 3/4 fiddle for my grand daughter. Forgot about it very quickly. I wish I had my second one back, 96 Flatiron A5 Artist. A good friend of mine has it now and I'm happy he's happy.

strings777
Oct-13-2011, 1:56pm
My first was a Kentucky KM-630....not forgotten, but alas, gone with the wind...sigh.....

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-13-2011, 3:30pm
That's a very nice little flat top you got yourself, right there. Couldn't have bought it from a nicer fella, as well. Enjoy!

I got my first in 1976. I don't remember the name of it. It was a little A style with F holes.

I had to use vise grips to tune it. :disbelief: :)

John Rosett
Oct-13-2011, 3:51pm
My first was a 30's blonde Strad-O-Lin. I put a set of Kluson tuners on it, and it had a spot of melted finish next to the bass F hole. Anybody seen it?

Pete Summers
Oct-13-2011, 4:28pm
My first was a Japanese tater bug from TG&Y for $25 (about 35 years ago). I still remember it as having a sweet tone. Wish I had it back. I traded it for an old reverse scroll Washington mandolin after 3 or 4 years. I wish I still had that one even more, but I ended up trading it for an old fiddle and dropped mandolin altogether -- only began mandolin again a few years ago. That's the part I regret most.

Mandobart
Oct-13-2011, 4:55pm
Being something of a musical instrument hoarder, I still have my first violin, first guitar, and first mando (and their successors). The only instrument I've parted with yet was my first electric bass guitar, which I remember but don't miss at all.

TG&Y! Wow we had one of those in my hometown, ~35 yrs ago. Any "They Gyp You" stores still around?

William Smith
Oct-13-2011, 5:02pm
My first mandolin that is, was one my Grand pappy made,,,Anyone remember him from the 60's and 70's bluegrass days William Howard Smith?? From Auburn NY,later Jamestown NY area,,then California for a while then back homeway....

crazymandolinist
Oct-13-2011, 5:22pm
My first is a regal flat back. I don't play it because I think the top is starting to collapse and it has a few tiny splits and such, so the strings are very loose. While I could play it, it played so nice and sounded so beautiful. I'll never part with it.

Mandolin Mick
Oct-13-2011, 5:50pm
:)) That's right, but I wish I could forget it!!! My first was an Epiphone A model that I traded a guitar straight up for ... what a piece of junk!!! Sold it at a yard sale for something like $25 to get it out of my sight!!! :))

JEStanek
Oct-13-2011, 8:27pm
See, even those that say they have forgotten their first mandolin remember them!

Jamie

Ed Goist
Oct-13-2011, 8:49pm
Kentucky KM-172
A very good first mandolin - In large part responsible for my mandolin obsession.
(If the fretboard had been radiused I'd probably still own her.)

Randi Gormley
Oct-14-2011, 9:06am
Suzuki bowlback from the 1970s that I still have in its case in the living room even though the neck is more like a "C" than an "I." I'd love to replace it with a bowlback that can be played. I've just been too lazy to do anything with it!

Wesley
Oct-14-2011, 9:44am
I still HAVE my first mandolin. It's a cheap plywood "Conqueror" that I paid all of $50.00 for. There isn't enough value in it to use it as a trade of something else so I'll just hang onto it. Like others here I have a very hard time getting rid of a musical instrument. Books and CD's too.

Denny Gies
Oct-14-2011, 10:01am
Yep. My first was an Auria that couldn't keep E strings from breaking no matter how hard or gently they were picked. Well, memories are great but better mandolins are much better.

Vernon Hughes
Oct-14-2011, 10:10am
I still have my 1978 alvarez baroque mando..It had a hard life on the road for nearly 22 years..Just did a neck reset on it and it still sounds fine! I really should post a pic..

bazooka47
Oct-14-2011, 10:24am
Had to think about that one. My first mando was an very inexpensive ($45.00 in early
80's $$) model that I bought via mail order from the Navy Exchange, while I was stationed aboard an aircraft carrier on deployment in the South Pacific. Not surprisingly, it was a rather poorly constructed plywood import, but was sure better than nothing. I ended up selling it to a 2nd Class Radioman, and eventually upgraded to a Kentucky F-style. Sorry, no pic.

billkilpatrick
Oct-14-2011, 10:38am
in fact, i have forgotten my first mandolin ... but not my first mid/muddy - fabulous mandolins

fatt-dad
Oct-14-2011, 11:17am
Yeah, I still have my old Kay. It was given to me in the late '60s and left for a few decades. She's home now though (needs a neck set, unfortunatly).

f-d

baptist mando55
Oct-15-2011, 12:35pm
Aria Pro 2 pm750 bought from CE Ward .Dont know if he had been inside of it but it was very loud.The guy i sold it to said he sold it to Ben Greene of carolina road .It didnt have the best tone but it would peel paint. Very good 300 dollar mandolin

Chip Booth
Oct-17-2011, 4:20pm
My first was a cheap plywood Kentucky that actually played and sounded fairly decent for what it was. Eventually the neck pealed off of it, and these days a friend's young daughter drags it around the house and beats on it. At least it is still enjoyed even if it isn't suitable for playing!

mrmando
Oct-17-2011, 4:35pm
I haven't forgotten my first, after years of trying and thousands of dollars' worth of therapy.

I sold it to my girlfriend. Then I dumped her. It was a clever way to get rid of it, but not without its heartbreaks. Neither one of them was doing me much good at the time, but I did care about one of them. You guess which one.