PDA

View Full Version : Sad News from the Sizemores

Scotti Adams
Oct-12-2011, 6:28pm
I was reluctant to post this but I feel it is worthy

Herschel and Joyce Sizemore received separate cancer diagnoses. I spoke with Joyce this morning, who relayed that she and Herschel took calls from their doctors less than 15 minutes apart.

Herschel, of course, is a legendary figure in bluegrass mandolin, widely regarded as among, if not the first mandolinist to develop a playing style wholly outside of what Bill Monroe had established. His distinctive technique, often called the Sizemore Roll, is now a commonplace in modern mandolin playing. It involves using adjacent strings in an alternating pattern to fill a “pause” in a musical idea, in much the way a banjo roll is used, as opposed to the tremolo Monroe would commonly employ.

Joyce has been by his side for more than 50 years, and is equally beloved within the bluegrass community. They, and their three adult children, live in and around the Roanoke, VA area.

Herschel had been experiencing some throat problems, and was scheduled for a tonsillectomy in late September, preventing him from attending IBMA as has been his custom. The biopsy revealed a tumor, and he is scheduled to begin radiation shortly.

Joyce went for a mammogram last week, where a mass was found which also showed a tumor. Like Herschel, she expects a course of radiation.

Fortunately, both of these cancers have a high curability rate, and their prognoses are good. Those who know them recognize the Sizemores as “tough old birds,” well-positioned to fight yet another battle.

Paul Cowham
Oct-12-2011, 6:48pm
Sad news indeed..., especially both diagnoses at the same time, I can't imagine what a hard time it must be for Herschel, Joyce and their families.

Cafe member Ivan Kelsall introduced me to Herschel's music recently and I am deeply impressed. But, it is good to hear that their prognoses are good and that these cancers have a high curability rate and advances in treatment seem to have come on rapidly in recent years. I know quite a few people who have beaten this terrible disease, lets hope that Herschel and Joyce do and will be here for many years to come.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-13-2011, 1:35am
Hi Scotti - Thanks for the news re.Herschel & his wife. I'd never heard of him prior to hearing his classic tune "Rebecca" on a Jim Mills banjo CD. I just had to learn to play it & it was a total MUST play,when i began Mandolin,6 years back.
To say that Herschel is a 'hero' of mine is a bit of an understatement. Along with John Reischman, he's the biggest influence in my own playing. I know that one 'Cafe member,'Big Joe',knows Herschel personally,& this news is going to come as a great shock.
As my friend Paul above says,this dreadful disease can be beaten,& we can only hope that Herschel & Joyce will overcome it,but it's going to be a tough time for them & their family. Let's hope that all their friends & family gather round to offer their support at this time,
Ivan

fatt-dad
Oct-13-2011, 7:32am
My wife was just telling me about a guy she knows that just completed throat cancer treatment (radiation) after his lump was removed. I think the biggest problem with this whole throat cancer thing is your diet limitations. This guy was just beginning to eat real food.

I wish the Sizemores all the best and will remain hopeful that the treatments will be successful.

f-d

greg_tsam
Oct-13-2011, 5:54pm
Cancer ain't pretty and it ain't easy but it's not the end of the world it used to be. Attitude is important and stubbornness is golden. My mother has fought to be alive for 4 years now after doctors gave her weeks. Keep fighting and best wishes to the Sizemores.

Marty Henrickson
Oct-14-2011, 4:51pm
My mother was given 6 months to live with small-cell lung cancer in 1983, and survived that against astronomic odds. She beat breast cancer as well, before passing on in 2006. Of course, many do not win this fight, but the doctors now have better and more effective treatments than ever before. My prayers go out for the Sizemores.

re simmers
Oct-15-2011, 6:55am
My mother had throat cancer about 5 years ago. Minor surgery plus 6 weeks of radiation and the cancer is gone. She gets checked every 6 months. Mom is 72. I will pray for Herschel and Joyce.

Blessings,

Bob

Gan Ainm
Oct-21-2011, 2:29pm
I really appreciate the sharing of this news ( I assume of course the information was publicized with their permission). It will allow those of us who have taken his workshops or met Herschel and Joyce in other contexts, to send along our encouragement and appreciation. I too have encouraging family stories and share the hopeful optimism but recognition of the struggles ahead. I’m SO glad from a personal and musical perspective I got to hang out with both at Augusta two summers ago.

thewhitegts
Oct-23-2011, 2:41pm
What awful news. I couldn't imagine finding out so close together. I hope to try and remember to add them to the prayer list at our church. Hope both of theirs were caught early enough and wont spread! God bless them!