PDA

View Full Version : The Mandolin Store New Location Visit - I'm a Lost Cause! :-)

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-12-2011, 2:39pm
(disclaimer: There is NFI for me in any of this. Just reporting a great time for me)

Okay, so Dennis and Brian moved the store about an hour closer to me... Strike One.

Then, they get a new slew of CBOM type instruments in.... Strike Two.

Then, after valiantly holding off paying a visit for a couple-to-few months I finally cave.

I think it was receiving my new Mando Cafe Longsleeve T in the mail that toppled (Strike Three!) my last bit of resistance:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/arcopizz/New%20TMS%20Visit%20and%20Mandos/DennisandMe.jpg?t=1318447333

As a side note: That F5G Dennis is holding is probably the best sounding, and playing Gibby I've ever played. I was VERY tempted!

Here's a pic of just a part of "The Wall of Desire!"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/arcopizz/New%20TMS%20Visit%20and%20Mandos/TMSWallShot.jpg?t=1318447333

....and now I present a visual display of my absolute cave-in to MAS (as I said earlier: I am a lost cause):

Just a sweet sounding and playing Gibson A Jr (ca. 1925 - I think?)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/arcopizz/New%20TMS%20Visit%20and%20Mandos/AJr.jpg?t=1318447333

...and an Eastman DGM3 Mandola

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/arcopizz/New%20TMS%20Visit%20and%20Mandos/Mandola.jpg?t=1318447333

Lastly, a pic of them both home safe & sound just waiting to be played!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/arcopizz/New%20TMS%20Visit%20and%20Mandos/BothTogether.jpg?t=1318447333

Yup. I'm a lost cause. But, dang, it sure is fun!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-12-2011, 2:51pm
Whoa, good catch on the AJr.

Malcolm G.
Oct-12-2011, 2:52pm
You da man, Gerry.

Not lost at all - just finding your groove.

Enjoy your treasures.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-12-2011, 3:09pm
Awesome visit and report. BTW did you pick up the A-Jr at the Mandolin Store? And what you think of the DGM3?

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-12-2011, 3:24pm
Thanks, Fellas.

Mike: Oh yeah. It plays really nicely. Brian had to do a little fretwork, but they are still in good shape. No visual repairs, cracks, or other. Just some finish checking and a few scuffs/dings here and there. I have been looking for an old Gibson for a couple years now. This one made it easy to pull the trigger.

Barrangatan: Yup, got the A Jr. from TMS. As for the DGM3, I owned an Eastman F style 'Dola a couple years back and this one is definitely a good step up from that one. It has great, low action, intonates very well, and has a great old time, almost jazzy tone to it. It has just enough of the tubbiness in tone to remind you that it was modeled after the old Lyon & Healy. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-12-2011, 3:57pm
That's awesome Gerry. Congrats on the two new mandolins. I actually did not know that Dennis carries older, vintage instruments as I had never seen them on his website. But he may be just dealing them locally to avoid shipping damage etc.

JEStanek
Oct-12-2011, 8:04pm
Great visit. I envy the dola!

Jamie

sgarrity
Oct-12-2011, 8:53pm
Congrats!! That 'dola is drool worthy.

John Hill
Oct-12-2011, 9:18pm
Snakehead Jr...nice find.

Randi Gormley
Oct-12-2011, 10:56pm
Beautiful instruments. Congrats!

Ron McMillan
Oct-12-2011, 11:34pm
Great story of your visit. I really hope that some day I'll get to visit the Mandolin Store.

On a separate issue entirely, and with NO criticism of the OP intended: am I the only crotchety git who HATES all this NFI nonsense? It appears all the time on posts where people OBVIOUSLY are not promoting anything they have a business interest in. Somehow it has become almost an expected disclaimer, when surely it is not necessary. It's a forum with hundreds of regular visitors. Surely we can assume that the vast majority of posters are not merely here to promote their own financial interests?

ron

The Mandolin Store
Oct-13-2011, 12:23am
Gerry - sure was good to see you. I wish I'd had known you were bringing the camera, I would have dressed a little better. Kathy saw the post and said "looks like I'll have to start a dress code". In In my defense it was my casual Saturday clothes. Earlier this week I forgot to set the alarm and Brian catches it when he opens the next morning...............says I'm getting off with a verbal warning this time but the next ones written - in trouble twice this week. I can't catch a break - LOL! Seriously, your one of my oldest customers and I really appreciate your business over the years. I told Gerry he could call me anytime day or night if he needed in the shop (he has my cell)..............said if it got too much trouble I'd just make him a key, give him the alarm code, and he could go anytime he wanted.

dcoventry
Oct-13-2011, 1:02am
Great story of your visit. I really hope that some day I'll get to visit the Mandolin Store.

On a separate issue entirely, and with NO criticism of the OP intended: am I the only crotchety git who HATES all this NFI nonsense? It appears all the time on posts where people OBVIOUSLY are not promoting anything they have a business interest in. Somehow it has become almost an expected disclaimer, when surely it is not necessary. It's a forum with hundreds of regular visitors. Surely we can assume that the vast majority of posters are not merely here to promote their own financial interests?

ron

I, too, find the NFI thing funny/strange/annoying. I have wanted to post, "ALL KINDS OF DAMN FINANCIAL INTEREST!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THESE THINGS COST!!!!"

Seriously, don't be so paranoid. Damn.

Ron McMillan
Oct-13-2011, 1:18am
I, too, find the NFI thing funny/strange/annoying. I have wanted to post, "ALL KINDS OF DAMN FINANCIAL INTEREST!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THESE THINGS COST!!!!"

Seriously, don't be so paranoid. Damn.

One response, one voice of support. That's it, I quit while I'm ahead.

:-)

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-13-2011, 10:16am
One response, one voice of support. That's it, I quit while I'm ahead.

:-)

Thanks. This was a pretty good thread there, for awhile.

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-13-2011, 10:20am
Gerry - sure was good to see you. I wish I'd had known you were bringing the camera, I would have dressed a little better. Kathy saw the post and said "looks like I'll have to start a dress code". In In my defense it was my casual Saturday clothes. Earlier this week I forgot to set the alarm and Brian catches it when he opens the next morning...............says I'm getting off with a verbal warning this time but the next ones written - in trouble twice this week. I can't catch a break - LOL! Seriously, your one of my oldest customers and I really appreciate your business over the years. I told Gerry he could call me anytime day or night if he needed in the shop (he has my cell)..............said if it got too much trouble I'd just make him a key, give him the alarm code, and he could go anytime he wanted.

It's the softball, Dennis. You've got softball on the brain! :disbelief: :grin: :))

In Dennis' defense; it was a Saturday morning and he had just come from a softball game. He usually is wearing a tank top and has a beer in hand. I wasn't sure why he got all dressed up for the occasion?... ;)

Jill McAuley
Oct-13-2011, 11:15am
Nice looking pair of acquisitions there Gerry! And man that red F5G looks sweet indeed!

Cheers,
Jill

Gerry Cassidy
Oct-13-2011, 11:34am
Thanks Jill.

Yes, the F5G was definitely a sweetie. It was one of those in which you can tell it's a good one as soon as you get it in your hands.

The action was nice and low with no buzz anywhere on the neck. It had excellent volume and the tone was very nice. Not sharp, or too twangy.

It's the first Gibson I've played from the new shop, so I'm not the expert, but Dennis is telling me the new stuff coming out, post-flood is better than ever.

Gerry Cassidy
Nov-17-2011, 5:02pm
I am rehashing this thread to ask a question: With regard to the A Jr, does anyone have any input on a handy-dandy way to attach a strap to the TP end?

There is no strap button and the clamshell tailpiece cover doesn't allow the option of adding one (no, I wouldn't do that, regardless).

I won't have a problem strapping one end to the peghead. I could see threading a leather shoestring through the TP end, but was wondering if the more innovative minds that visit this forum may have seen, or devised some other way to achieve such purpose?

mtucker
Nov-18-2011, 3:44pm
we don't need no stinkin strap ;)

djc227
Nov-18-2011, 3:59pm
What kind of mandolin is the guy on the right holding in the top pic?

Payit Forward
Nov-18-2011, 4:03pm
I could see threading a leather shoestring through the TP end

This is what I have seen done. I can't think of any other way to do it.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Nov-18-2011, 4:14pm

That's exactly what I did on my A-Jr. There is a small 'groove' or bent in the tailpiece end that you can thread a leather shoe lace through. Either use it to tie the end of a strap made out of leather shoe lace, or thread a small piece of shoe lace through the groove, then 'cap' both ends with some kind of wooden beads, to make it into something that you can tie a strap to.

I'll take a picture of mine tonight when I get home and post it here.

Gerry Cassidy
Nov-18-2011, 4:48pm
What kind of mandolin is the guy on the right holding in the top pic?

It's the mandola in the last 2 pictures.

Gerry Cassidy
Nov-18-2011, 4:52pm

Thanks guys. I figured there really wasn't any other safe way to do it.

Barrang: I look forward to seeing the pic of how you did yours...

I've had it a month, or so and have tried to get used to playing it without a strap. I really would prefer to have the stability of a strap. I can get to picking pretty hard and I end up limiting the mobility of my left hand by splitting fretting duties with holding onto the neck to keep it from launching.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Nov-19-2011, 1:21am
Gerry - here's a crude shot of the tailpiece on my A-Jr. The tailpiece is noticeably bent at the 'groove', and as you can see there is some gap between the tailpiece and the mandolin itself. But even if it was flush with the mandolin, you can still thread a piece of leather shoe lace through the groove in a similar fashion. I put a wooden bead at each end of the shoe lace before I tied it off. I can then attach the loop end of my strap to the wooden bead as needed.

Gerry Cassidy
Nov-19-2011, 3:00pm
Gerry - here's a crude shot of the tailpiece on my A-Jr. The tailpiece is noticeably bent at the 'groove', and as you can see there is some gap between the tailpiece and the mandolin itself. But even if it was flush with the mandolin, you can still thread a piece of leather shoe lace through the groove in a similar fashion. I put a wooden bead at each end of the shoe lace before I tied it off. I can then attach the loop end of my strap to the wooden bead as needed.

Looks pretty darn good. I was thinking about a loop, but I like the straight-thru with the bead.

Thank you, kind sir!