PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Kreinberg 3-pt., 1911

mrmando
Oct-10-2011, 7:14pm
On fleaBay (www.ebay.com/itm/1911-HOLY-GRAIL-MANDOLIN-ONE-KIND-RESTORATION-PROJECT-/360400422209a). Never seen anything like it.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-10-2011, 9:24pm
Correct link here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-HOLY-GRAIL-MANDOLIN-ONE-KIND-RESTORATION-PROJECT-/360400422209). Fascinating indeed

jim simpson
Oct-10-2011, 9:34pm
That's very interesting and tempting. I like different.

allenhopkins
Oct-11-2011, 12:09pm
Interesting home-made instrument, but after reviewing the pix I found my feet getting really icy -- major top sinkage, back coming off, cracks etc. More for "show" than for "dough," IMHO, but surely unique.

journeybear
Oct-11-2011, 1:16pm
"One of a kind" is right ("holy grail" is a bit much). The third point - a scroll of sorts - is located 180 degrees from where they usually are, and is more of a knob than a scroll, very likely intended to keep the instrument from sliding around. Using wood from a church to build this does indeed lend credence to the supposition that this is more akin to cabinetry than luthiery. For those wondering what "woody" tone is - I'll bet this has it, in spades. ;) It's a wall hanger, not a restoration project, and overpriced by an order of magnitude. BTW, Berlin CT is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, ICICU. :)

Jim Garber
Oct-11-2011, 1:20pm
Hah! Yes, built by a cabinet maker. It is hard to tell but I would probably say that that top looks pretty thick and that even if you could tune it up, it would not really sound like anything. just my guess. Is that an ivory or ivoroid fretboard? Elegant bridge, eh?

For sale is one of the most interesting mandolins I've ever seen. I nick named it the holy grain because the maker built the mandolin from wood from a church as stated on internal hand written labels. As you can see it will require repair. As far as the fingerboard, headstock and neck heel cover. Let's just say it's bone. The diamond inlays are another type of organic material. So here's what the label says "This mandolin is made of wood from St. Mary's church which stood on Myrtle St. New Britain, CT." The other label says " -Violin-Mandolin- R.E. Kreinberg, Berlin CT. 1911" My opinion is he was a cabinet maker by trade with knowledge in building instruments because it was very well constructed. Neck is straight. Angle is a tiny bit off but all is needed is shave down the bridge base. Obviously can't tune to pitch but it seems to have a nice tone. If only Loyd Loar used a fingerboard like this on the F5. I will eventually restore if it doesn't sell. This is with certainty a one of a kind and it can be yours !

delsbrother
Oct-11-2011, 2:37pm
I played one of those once, in Germany, near the town of Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

barney 59
Oct-11-2011, 3:52pm
If the fretboard is Ivory ----that's like 1/4 elephant!

jim simpson
Oct-12-2011, 9:34pm
It ended with no sale.

Jim Garber
Oct-12-2011, 10:07pm
This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

The seller got an offer he could not refuse. Ok, which one of you made that offer?

journeybear
Oct-12-2011, 11:15pm
More likely he realized he was asking wayyy too much! Perhaps he took a look at this thread. Good old peer pressure. ;)

brunello97
Feb-29-2012, 10:40am
Looks like possibly another Kreinberg is up for sale on the ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-carved-mandolin-/230754027723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba0308cb#ht_500wt_1346

With the fuzzy photos it is hard to tell whether the top is sinking on the bass side near the sound hole. The tailpiece is wonderful--I wonder if he had them custom made or made himself? Could be he used the rest of that elephant tusk on this one.
Mick

Jim Garber
Feb-29-2012, 11:45am
The seller is a Cafe member. Perhaps he will chime in here. For some reason, I wonder if this is the same one as the original one with the pickguard removed and the fretboard replaced. if this is a second mandolin by the same maker, I wonder if it also was made from the wood of the same church.

This one looks like it used to have a screwed on pickguard. The original one had two screws with one at the end of the fretboard. See detail pic below of this "newer" one.

brunello97
Feb-29-2012, 12:25pm
The seller is a Cafe member. Perhaps he will chime in here. For some reason, I wonder if this is the same one as the original one with the pickguard removed and the fretboard replaced. if this is a second mandolin by the same maker, I wonder if it also was made from the wood of the same church.

This one looks like it used to have a screwed on pickguard. The original one had two screws with one at the end of the fretboard. See detail pic below of this "newer" one.

Yeah, or maybe a modification of the original fretboard. That would be kind of a shame, unless absolutely necessary along with needed repairs. I like the original 'floating' pickguard under the strings.

Mick

Charlieshafer
Feb-29-2012, 6:10pm
BTW, Berlin CT is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable, ICICU. :)

Glad to know an old local knows the proper pronunciation of our insignificant towns! I'm tempted just because it'll be the only other mandolin I would have made in Connecticut. I kind of like the label in the first one, though. An early use of "green" recycling. There's a guy in Vermont making violins out of old wood from failed covered bridges, and supposedly they're really nice. Wish I could remember his name..

Fast forward to a quick search... covered bridge violins. (http://www.violinviolacello.com/MovieStar.htm)

Jim Garber
Feb-29-2012, 9:12pm
Another view of the fretboard end of the original Kreinberg. It looks like that trefoil (or whatever you call it) is cut out of the ivoroid.

brunello97
Feb-29-2012, 9:31pm
Jim, seeing that view makes me hope there is two. That would be a pretty nice piece of work to cut away. Seems like you can get a few instruments out of a whole church. ;)

Mick

Dobe
Mar-01-2012, 12:37pm
Just inquired about the pickguard & end of board modification. Ad says it's been repaired. Looks like the same instrument to me. Label writing, crack right at lower point. Shame about the mods if it is !

Jim Garber
Mar-01-2012, 12:46pm
There must have been a good reason. The seller has a nice collection of mandolins and he is pretty tuned in to keeping it original. Not sure why he would lop off the end of the fretboard unless it was replaced altogether.

nickster60
Mar-01-2012, 1:28pm
Wasnt a lot happening in Berlin Ct back 1911. It would have been out in the country back then.Before all of the seedy motels and drive-ins.

nickster60
Mar-01-2012, 1:29pm

Dobe
Mar-01-2012, 4:42pm
Seller just responded. 'All that's included is pictured'. Doesn't have anything to say about the fbd end or pickguard. Thanks alot, nice PR.

brunello97
Mar-01-2012, 5:09pm
Seller just responded. 'All that's included is pictured'. Doesn't have anything to say about the fbd end or pickguard. Thanks alot, nice PR.

:disbelief:
That's like a sign on an auto parts store up on Lamar in Austin: "If it's in stock, we have it."

Mick

Jim Garber
Mar-06-2012, 10:10am
Yikes. Over $200 and 4 hours to go. This could be a world's record for a Kreinberg 3-point mandolin. :)