PDA

View Full Version : Post A Picture Of Yourself

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Aprilibre
Aug-04-2003, 12:31pm
By OM, do you mean octave mandolin? And could someone tell me what an octave mandolin is? What makes it different from a regular mandolin?

Oh, I know, I could search the net or *gasp* the library and find out for myself, but it seems a little slow right now and I'm sure there are several people who would be happy to tell me...

mandodude
Aug-04-2003, 1:16pm
...I'm sure there are several people who would be happy to tell me...
...only if you first post a pic of yourself...

;-)

...blackmail?? ...who, me??

mandofiddle
Aug-04-2003, 1:29pm
Here's a more recent pic of me and my band. Taken 2 weekends ago at a wedding we played at.

Aprilibre
Aug-04-2003, 5:32pm
Haha, m'dude, I get it! But I ain't lyin' when I say I am technologically unable to post a pic. I don't have a digital camera, and I don't have a scanner. Shoot, I'm still resisting the cell phone! I don't have mp3, no cd burner (my teenagers despise me most of all for this shortcoming), no dvd player. I just recently got cable tv. It's a wonder I even have this here machine that makes it possible for me to hook up with the likes of all of you! =:)

So, fine--I'll just get my bad luddite self on over to the library...

mandodude
Aug-04-2003, 5:42pm
Didn't mean to give you a hard time, Aprilibre... HONEST!!

;-)

Might wanna start here...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/faq.html#mandolintypes

BTW - WOW! #You just recently got cable TV?? #Well, I just recently got color TV... so there!! #And what's this new-fangled thing you call a... what is it, now?... a cell phone??

M'dude

Aprilibre
Aug-04-2003, 6:04pm
Wow, thanks, m'dude! It never occurred to me to check out the mandolin cafe's resources, I am so ashamed of myself...

Tell ya what. I could mail to you (or some neutral techie), the old-fashioned way, a picture of myself and YOU could post it on my behalf (what, she says to herself, are you crazy?? You've seen his edits, by the time he's done you could have a goatee!), thereby negating any need for blackmail and making me part of the club. =;)

MOP
Aug-05-2003, 8:06am
Aprilibre,are you,like me, a "prehistoricelectronicman" ?
I can use just the "minimum".

JGWoods
Aug-05-2003, 9:57am
BTW - WOW! #You just recently got cable TV?? #Well, I just recently got color TV... so there!! #
M'dude
I am way ahead of you- entering the post TV phase, ready to heave the cell phone in the Pacific- only problem is I live on the Atlantic side. Time for a road trip.
gw

Aprilibre
Aug-05-2003, 10:12am
MOP, yep--I'm kind of prehistoric that way. And I can think of so many other good uses for my limited resources than those electronic gadgets that we supposedly "need."

GW, toss them and take the trip! I recommed it! Nobody needs to be available ALL the time...

halfdeadhippie
Aug-05-2003, 10:30am
I'll jump on the no TV thing, haven't had one for 20 years, kids all read a few grade levels ahead, and we actually talk to each other!

A very good friend of mine has a sticker on her guitar case

"KIll YOUR TELEVISON"

I reccomend it.

Andy R
Aug-05-2003, 11:06am
Now that you guys are talking about this, I am noticing that my 4 track tape player is starting to wear out. I may need to upgrade to an 8 track soon.

Aprilibre
Aug-05-2003, 12:09pm
Andy, yer killin' me--go reel-to-reel, it's state of the art!

ronlane3
Aug-05-2003, 5:56pm
me, without a mando in hand.

mandopete
Aug-05-2003, 6:08pm
Are those contacts or was it a rough night! :)

Glad to see someone's still posting pictures. Looks like this thread is up over 29K views.....

Crowder
Aug-05-2003, 9:47pm
Yep, 11 pages and 29000 views, and I am still the best looking guy on the thread. Maybe in the world, or on the whole internet for that matter. Maybe I need my own site.....

midmando
Aug-05-2003, 10:17pm
Man, talk about this place needing some excitement, Crowder - I think that might do it!

Seriously, your better half makes you look pretty good...

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 4:16am
Hey ronlane3... You seem to have a cigar stickin' out of yer chest...or somethin'???

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2003, 4:21am
Maybe I just need an eye check.

MOP
Aug-06-2003, 8:13am
Ronlane,you are terrible with the reds eyes.Is that the photo or is you!

ronlane3
Aug-06-2003, 10:36am
dang guys,

No that is not my normal eyes, sometimes camera's just don't agree with me. :)

That was taken on the last night of a 4 day bluegrass festival, in which I was awake for what seemed like the whole 4 days. (went to bed about 2-3 each morning and then got back up at 7)

mandopete
Aug-06-2003, 1:08pm
Ron

We're just kiddin' with you :)

I know what it's like to have your picture taken after 4 or 5 days at a bluegrass festival (see above). #That's why I'm wearing the hat and please, no close-ups!

ronlane3
Aug-06-2003, 2:43pm
Hey Pete,

I understand the kiddin', I can take it (note: I'm a BIG boy)...lol.

(guess I SHOULD have posted in the Hunk's Thread)... NOT!!!!

Scott Tichenor
Aug-08-2003, 6:12am
Last night's very successful Mandolin Cafe lemonade stand run by Shannon. Customers got a tune with every glass. Her lemonade is made with real lemons & oranges and lots of sugar.

mandopete
Aug-08-2003, 9:03am
Hey Scott - Nice Gams Buddy!

Is that the Collings mandolin?

Ted Eschliman
Aug-08-2003, 11:12am
Her lemonade is made with real lemons & oranges and lots of sugar.
Sounds dangerous! I know from experience how much those six-year-olds likes them sugary beverages...
And talk about stopping cars with a great pair of legs! ('course Shannon's are cute, too...)

ronlane3
Aug-08-2003, 11:33am
Now there is the pic for the mandohunks thread. Actually may be the winner for the mandobabes thread that didn't get started.

evanreilly
Aug-08-2003, 12:13pm
Here is a recent pic of me playing with David Long & Mike Compton at one of their recent shows. Richie Brown didn't do overalls that day.

mandopete
Aug-08-2003, 4:09pm
Yeah, so what is up with overalls anyway? I know that Mike Compton began wearing them when he started playing with John Hartford. I once saw him in overalls with a sportcoat - talk about a contradiction of terms! Looks like David Long is going for the same look too!

Andy R
Aug-10-2003, 11:12am
Evan, Richie and everyone else, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do not regard this in any way to be racist. It is not meant that way. It is just funny. I was looking at the picture of your band and I couldn't help but think of my cousins bowling team which had on it a good friend of ours who was the only black fellow on the team. The name of the team was 'Three strikes and a Spare.' I always got a kick out of that.

evanreilly
Aug-10-2003, 11:35am
Howabout fancy dress: Overalls witha bow-tie!
Could even do a black bow-tie for formal..

Skip Kelley
Aug-10-2003, 12:05pm
Here's a picture of me and 007 in the white.

mandopete
Aug-10-2003, 2:13pm
Howabout fancy dress: Overalls witha bow-tie!
Yeah, I think Mike Compton invented that look!

BTW - Less than 200 views to 30K !!!

Harrmob
Aug-11-2003, 4:44pm
I'm the 30,000th VIEWER WHOOOPPEEEE!!!!!

OdnamNool
Aug-12-2003, 4:49am
Voyeur! (Hey, how come the "emoticons" don't work?)

davestem
Aug-22-2003, 10:42am
Here's one of the few pics where I don't have a funny mouth thing going on. #With Johnson A (MA-380)...hmm...looks like a B minor...

http://www.nativebluestem.com/images/Davecomstage1.jpg

mandopete
Aug-22-2003, 6:24pm
Dave,

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, it looks like it was heading south! Funny thing about those "action" shots, it always seems like some part of your body is doing something that is non photogenic when the camera goes off. Just look at this poor fellow . . . . .

mandobsessed
Aug-22-2003, 7:31pm
Yeah I hate it when my hair does that when I play.

ethanwalnut
Aug-23-2003, 8:24am
This is me at a bluegrass festival in northern Japan. Can you guess which one is me?

mandopete
Aug-23-2003, 11:08am
Hey, is that one of them Lloyd-Loar Flat-Beds?

ethanwalnut
Aug-24-2003, 1:10am
Possibly. I forgot to check the serial number, but it seems more likely that a flat-bed of that vintage would be an Ibenez, an Aria, or maybe a Kentucky. I hear a few of the old Gibsons did make it accross the Pacific into the hands of Japanese collectors, so I can't completely rule out the possibility. I'd be surprised if they rolled them out for festivals though.

delsbrother
Aug-24-2003, 1:37am
Off topic, but does anyone know what Chris Thile is doing in MP's pic? (seriously) Is he doing the Eddie Van Halen fingerboard hammering thing, playing a false harmonic, or ?? He certainly has that tongue workin' overtime.

mandopete
Aug-24-2003, 11:17am
I think that he had drooled on the mando and was trying to wipe it off http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Yah know, I was sort of wondering the same thing, but I have never seen (or heard) him do that sort of thing. #Maybe one of our Nickel Creek/Chris Thile experts will chime in here - does Chris employ the Eddie Van Halen "tapping" technique? #If not, I think it would be pretty cool. #I have experimented with using the edge of a pick to do this.

Jim Hilburn
Aug-24-2003, 12:08pm
I believe he's chiming harmonics with the middle finger an octave up from where the left hand is playing while plucking the string with the ring finger while keeping the pick ready between the thumb and first. Van Halen probably did it ,but I'm most familiar with the technique being done by Steve Morse. Eric Johnson does it a bit ,too.

jasona
Aug-24-2003, 12:33pm
Alright. Here is me, just before my move to California, so the place is a bit of a mess. Note the glass of Talisker on the desk in front of me. That is one of the vital bits of information I have gleaned from this board--good plinking starts with good scotch!

mandopete
Aug-24-2003, 11:40pm
--good plinking starts with good scotch!
I prefer a nice Cabernet or Merlot!

Scott Rucker
Aug-25-2003, 11:46am
Me on guitar

Scott Rucker
Aug-25-2003, 11:58am
Me with mandolin.

Scott Rucker
Aug-27-2003, 8:55am
Would someone please reply? I don't want to be the one that killed the longest thread in the history of the board.:(

Scotti Adams
Aug-27-2003, 8:58am
..heres myself with Harley Allen and Mike Lilly recently...man looks I need to get back on the Slim Slow...lol

mandopete
Aug-27-2003, 9:02am
Nice pic's Scott, looks like you folks are into the bluegrass uniforms, eh http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

It's odd that this thread will sort of die down and then pick up again. I don't know if there are any physical limtits to a thread size. I imagine that with all of the photos, this one must be taking up a lot of space.

This thread is sort of like all the brown lawns we have here in Seattle (no rain for two months) - you just can't kill it.

Scott Rucker
Aug-27-2003, 9:25am
Yes, we did the uniforms that night. It was a band contest, and my first time playing into a mic for a crowd. There were about 600 people there, SRO. Needless to say, I was puckered up.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone from Seattle complain about a LACK of rain.

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-27-2003, 3:00pm
OK I'll give in too. #I play my A-model as much as my Loar

ftp://ftp.f5journal.com/pic_day/mandodgwy.JPG

Joe F
Aug-28-2003, 10:59am
I recently got a digital camera for my 50th birthday, so I no longer have any excuses. #Here's me in the back yard with the Freshwater.

Harrmob
Aug-28-2003, 1:43pm
Here I am getting into the groove of things at a local competition. The well known and famous guitar virtuoso Harry Smith is accompanying me on the guitar.

HDSJR
Aug-28-2003, 3:08pm
I knew I would be famous some day, if I just hung around Kevin (Harrmob) long enough. That is a picture of Kevin winning the South Alabama mandolin championship, for the second straight year from among a big field of outstanding contestants. He played El Cumbunchero and he scorched it. I was just along for the ride, and a heck of a ride it was!

mandopete
Aug-29-2003, 9:43am
Ole!

Keith Newell
Aug-29-2003, 1:13pm
Well, I finally got around to getting a picture of ME with one of my mandolins and not just my mandolins.

Keith Newell

rixter
Sep-03-2003, 10:24am
If the ER is empty then might as well mess around with the Snakehead ('24 A1)

mandopete
Sep-04-2003, 6:38pm
..........or you could always wait for the freak mandolin accident http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Nice pic!

rixter
Sep-04-2003, 7:50pm
Hmmmmmmmm........... # http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Aprilibre
Sep-05-2003, 5:13am
Yeah, see Nik-Chiks recent post...

=:)

mandopete
Sep-05-2003, 8:50am
"Hello, emergency room? #Help, help I've just run over my mandolin, send an ambulance quick!"

"Where are you?"

"In the driveway!"

http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

rixter
Sep-05-2003, 2:04pm
I believe that it was Zeke, the "Mando-looney at Large" that once described to me the unforgettable crunching sound that is made by a circa 191x Gibson A mandolin as it is being run over by a car. A sound, may I add, that I never hope to hear.
# # # # # # :>0

Plamen Ivanov
Sep-06-2003, 3:00pm
Well, I`m also in!

I have some mandolin pictures here (http://www.plami.com/duodialogue)
And that`s another hobby of mine...

Good luck!

bratsche
Sep-06-2003, 9:43pm
Wooohoooo, Plami - very nice, indeed! It's rare (unfortunately) to see musicians who are also athletic in the U.S.!

Now, if only someone would Photoshop a nice bowlback instrument in Plami's hand, I think we would have ourselves a serious contender for the cover of the MandoHunk Calendar! Whaddya say, gals??

http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

bratsche

OdnamNool
Sep-07-2003, 2:24am
Well...I suppose...yet..........there's this frog...

Also, a bowlback??? Come on, now...this hunk is flyin'!!! How 'bout a mandobird?

OdnamNool
Sep-07-2003, 2:31am
Oops. I just read the "Dialog"... Tasteful representation and skilled execution (or whatever it said...) Nix the bird. Bowlback would suit him better...

Plamen Ivanov
Sep-07-2003, 5:27am
:-)))))

In fact that was 10 years ago, but I think I still have an athlethic body. At least I feel very good in it and the girls like it too, so it`s OK! ;-)))
By the way this picture was published in a magazine for East fighting arts as a "picture of the month". 50 % from the merit belongs to my brother who made the picture.

Good luck!

Nik-chick
Sep-11-2003, 12:10am
bratsche: That works. I didn't know we were doing a calendar! Can I be in charge of the wardrobe for the shoots?

April: No wonder I came over to this thread (that I didn't even know was still going) my ears were burning.

Whoever said scotch makes your playing better: Dern, I wonder how many I'd have to have before mine even sounded okay? *L*

mandomaniac
Sep-11-2003, 12:37pm
Pardon the interruption in the video entertainment...but figured with all the activity here, it would warrant a gentle reminder to folks......I kicked in a contribution to PSF....did YOU??? Check out the discussion at the top of the General saction. Your help is needed. It will benefit the entire mandolin community! DO IT! #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mikey2
Sep-11-2003, 1:26pm
Pickin" Paul

You sent the pic in gif form. send it jpg format

Mike in OR

ira
Sep-11-2003, 1:29pm
HOW DO YOU GET THE PIC INTO THE POST.

SIGNED,

THE TECHNICALLY INEPT.

THANKS

stanley
Sep-11-2003, 2:55pm
Pickin'Paul,

and as young teen with a double aniversary Gretch?? I've got an old single aniverary stored at my bother's house (across the country&#33http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif...I wouldn't mind having it back.

mandopete
Sep-11-2003, 10:24pm
No wonder I came over to this thread (that I didn't even know was still going) my ears were burning.
Did it ever stop ?

Nik-chick
Sep-12-2003, 8:54am
ira: When you post, hit the image button (above the text field on the far right of the row with the bold and quote buttons). It will prompt you to put in the URL.

mandopete: I don't know if the thread ever stopped or not...probubly not. I wasn't around for a while.

Pickin' Paul
Sep-12-2003, 9:35am
yeah, stanley...i totally agree. i pawned off a lot of things when i got married i wish i had back, i.e. baseball cards, guitars, free time...do i need to go on, hee, hee!

ira
Sep-12-2003, 10:38am
nik-chik, but it is not an internet photo. i have it on my hard drive????????????????

goldtopper
Sep-12-2003, 10:44am
Ira-
For posting an image on your drive, at the bottom of the screen where you post, hit the browse button under:
File Attachments
You may attach a file to this
. You'll then get a drop down menu on your computer and you can then select the picture from the area where you are storing it.
Good Luck!

Pickin' Paul
Sep-12-2003, 11:56am
pix of this ole' hillbilly with the chicks: my niece, sister and wife on fiddle
http://www.angelfire.com/band2/eastkyakers/EKAband5.JPG
East Kentucky Akers (http://www.angelfire.com/band2/eastkyakers)

ira
Sep-12-2003, 4:09pm
i'm the short one with the small instrument (lol) actually this pic goes well with the song i wrote "inside i'm really built and 6'2".

pretty dark pic- a friend sent it to me from his phone camera (its like star trek stuff)

vince59
Sep-12-2003, 9:01pm
I don't have any pictures of me playing my mandolin...people seem to find someplace else to be when I pull it out! But this is me a couple of months ago.

vince59
Sep-12-2003, 9:04pm
It happened again...no pic...and this time my file was definitely small enough. Grrrrrrr. Oh well, I may try again.

jasona
Sep-13-2003, 2:30am
*scratches his head*

OdnamNool
Sep-13-2003, 2:31am
Nice shirt, Vince.

vince59
Sep-13-2003, 8:37am
Jason,
I figured out that after I browse for the picture and preview the post, I have to browse again because the preview deletes the picture...may be in my settings...oh well, now I know what works.
OdnamNool,
Big, loose, Hawaiian shirts rule. Somewhere around 40 I decided that comfort was way more important than fashion.

mandopete
Sep-13-2003, 10:38am
...a friend sent it to me from his phone camera (its like star trek stuff)
Can you hear me now? http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Maybe we need need to start a thread of people taking pictures with those phone/cameras. For the life of me I can't figure out why in the h*ll anyone would need one of those - perhaps we now have a reason.

Aprilibre
Sep-13-2003, 11:33am
Odnam, more importantly than the flashy shirt, he has the required mando-hunk goatee! =;)

Vince, around 40ish I decided on a comfort uniform, too. Everything is denim or black, except for flashy socks. OK, I am also fond of red shoes (oh, wait, I promised never to mention shoes again...)

jasona
Sep-13-2003, 11:51am
Vince: I didn't notice that forum bug before. Well caught. And nice shirt!

I've also noticed that the smileys don't work when you post from "quick reply" for some odd reason. :O

vince59
Sep-13-2003, 12:28pm
Aprilbre - Shucks, Ma'am, yer makin' me blush.

Jasona - I think it was the Jim Beam I had just before posting last night that opened up my eyes to the forum bug. Bourbon is an amazing tool for the whole revelation process, whether it's before breakfast, during, or after! #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Nik-chick
Sep-13-2003, 12:30pm
Vince: Your shirt looks like something the other Vince (Gill) would have. Cool!

April: I may get you in trouble, but why no more mentions of shoes?

OdnamNool
Sep-14-2003, 3:54am
Odnam, more importantly than the flashy shirt, he has the required mando-hunk goatee! #=http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Aprilbre... I would say that all of the fine looking gentlemen on this page would most certainly qualify for mandohunk. #But! #From what I gather, I'm afraid we cannot accept "Vince" into the Mandohunk Hall of Fame. #From the statistics I've compiled so far, I would have to say that he is a "poser". #Read on...

True identity:

Name: # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Gumbograss
Identifying characteristics: # # #Baggy clothes, 2 tatoos,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #ear-ring in ear
Hobbies: # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Claims interest in guitar and
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #mandolin, but true love is:
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #[/B]B@#J0!!!

That's right! #You heard me correctly!

(I wonder what kind of shoes[B] he wears...............)

Aprilibre
Sep-14-2003, 6:46am
Ah, hahahah! Good work, Odnam! I am guessing boxes, "Clementine" style? Which begs the question, what kind of earrings does one wear with boxes....

;)

vince59
Sep-14-2003, 10:16am
You two are too funny! Some minor corrections:
Office Worker = Call Center Manager and Training Manager.
Tats and earring -- true, hey, I lived in Cali for 5 years!
BANJO (hey, look, I spelled it out and didn't get struck by lightening) -- also true! But I'm trying to learn this mando thing.
Shoes - at work, mostly wingtips or loafers, but at home, most comfortable in no shoes at all. If I must wear shoes, I prefer Air Walk tennis shoes.
And just for the record, not that anyone asked, boxers, not briefs! #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

mandopete
Sep-14-2003, 11:28am
And what exactly is Gumbograss?

That sounds tasty!

Calvaux
Sep-14-2003, 12:34pm
I'm a newbie at this. Here is an peek at my "house band".

vince59
Sep-14-2003, 2:36pm
Gumbo - my favorite thing to cook and eat!
Grass (as in blue) - my favorite type of music to play!

Gumbograss - Bluegrass in Louisiana. Loosen your belt, kick your shoes off, eat a little, play a little, pass a good time. Oh, it's also the name I use on banjohangout.org. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Nik-chick
Sep-14-2003, 4:41pm
But how would Odnam Nool have known Vince's b@njohangout name unless... I CAN'T SAY IT! He has a...I CAN'T SAY IT!

vince59
Sep-14-2003, 10:38pm
Just as I was about to yell, "Busted!" I remembered that I had mentioned my Gumbograss handle in another post. So, he may have learned this, here. I will say, however, that I know of a few who frequent both sites. Don't worry, banjo playing brothers (and sisters&#33http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif, your secret is safe with me. I won't "out" you here at the cafe. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

OdnamNool
Sep-15-2003, 2:08am
You're a good sport, Vince. And, by the way, my first guess was indeed loafers... :D

OdnamNool
Sep-15-2003, 2:14am
Now how about posting a picture of those tatoos??? http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

OdnamNool
Sep-15-2003, 4:51am
(heh heh..................stay tuned, goils................) #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tom C
Sep-15-2003, 9:53am
Finally, somebody took a pic. -And with one of my many facial expressions

Russ(String-Alley)
Sep-15-2003, 10:00am
Nothing wrong with wingtips and cool shirts. Great mando-playing minds do tend to think alike. its very much like my uniform, cept im know to wear a hat to cover my hair-challenged dome. see click here for the horror (http://www.vpsouth.com/Photos/viewphotos.mv?xdir=openmic&xphoto=36) I think the only way folks remember me is my bad taste in shirts and that ol' black hat, I know it'tant my mando playing. Cheers y'all!
Russ

Joe F
Sep-15-2003, 10:00am
Tom C,
I love the red sunburst. #What kind of mandolin are you playing?

Tom C
Sep-15-2003, 10:03am
That's just the pic it not red at all. I have a '95 Flatiron performer. I'll post a pic shortly showing infamous attached fretboard.

FrankenMouse
Sep-15-2003, 3:39pm
C'est moi.

Bobbie Dier
Sep-15-2003, 7:12pm
Hey! There are sure a bunch of goooood loooking mandolin pickers on here!! :;):

dwmand
Sep-16-2003, 11:43pm
This is a photo of me a couple weeks ago celebrating my birthday in Yellowstone, shortly after a great visit to the Weber Mandolin Factory!

jasona
Sep-17-2003, 12:16am
I like that shot! But that doesn't look like a Weber to me dwmand

OdnamNool
Sep-17-2003, 6:05am
Ah, hahahah! #Good work, Odnam! #I am guessing boxes, "Clementine" style? #
Indeed, boxes. Thongs "thwap, thwap" just alittle too much! But..."Clementine" style??? What the heck is that??? O ma darlin', O ma darlin' Oh my darrrrrrrrrrr------lin...... http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

OdnamNool
Sep-17-2003, 6:15am
Oh yeah...Tom C... meaningful facial expression! (and incredibly nice shirt! FrankenMouse... what a smile!!! dwmand...Happy Birthday!

OdnamNool
Sep-17-2003, 6:31am
Quick! Change the subject!!!

E_Stringus_Breakus
Sep-17-2003, 10:37am
Russ...looks like your playing a Weber...And BTW..I have a theory that only a mando player can see past the facade...ESB

Nik-chick
Sep-17-2003, 1:08pm
Did someone say thongs? What?

dvatchka
Sep-17-2003, 1:43pm
And her shoes were number nine
Herring boxes, without tops-es
Sandals were, for Clementine

Russ(String-Alley)
Sep-17-2003, 2:09pm
ESB, you got that right! a Bitterroot. but the facade, dunno......is it the hat?
Cheers!!
Russ

dwmand
Sep-18-2003, 12:00am
I like that shot! But that doesn't look like a Weber to me dwmand
Well I was expecting a reply about Grisman's mandola, but I left Bozeman a couple days before the concert. #I kept telling my Girlfriend I was expecting a birthday present with strings and I hoped the factory visit would help, but I still walked away empty handed. #They were absolutely wonderful at Weber, and I was drooling over the octave mandos and mandocellos. #Maybe someday... #I have an ex-girlfriend with a Flatiron Performer A that I bought her for Christmas 10 years ago, and it's still sitting in her house unplayed in a case... #That's the closest I've come to owning a Weber/Flatiron.

mandoJeremy
Sep-18-2003, 5:02pm
Me without a mando and that is something you will never see! Also, the fire extinguisher is there because my brain does overload, causing it to smoke!

mandoJeremy
Sep-18-2003, 8:19pm
Oops, not an extinguisher but a smoke detector!

Calvaux
Sep-24-2003, 7:03am
okay, i'll try one more time.
my "house band"

ronlane3
Sep-24-2003, 3:52pm
Calvaux,

Do they work for milk and cookies, or ice cream and cake?

Calvaux
Sep-24-2003, 6:34pm
The little one absolutely refuses to keep her hands off the mando when I'm trying to practice. #I have to give HER the blue uke to keep her occupied. #

The 4-year-old has started piano lessons and has shifted focus, only breaking into the musical toybox when friends come over for playdates.

Which reminds me, can anyone tell me if a HOHNER SPECIAL 20 HARMONICA is dishwasher safe?

Nik-chick
Sep-24-2003, 8:30pm
Reminds me of the story about a little girl who kept saying "Daddy's guitar pretty!" and the father was like "That's nice honey." and stuff. He gets to his gig, takes out the guitar, and it's covered in purple crayon, strings and all. (My dad STILL tells that story on me about 20yrs later! )

If I ever have kids, and some 2yr old makes mommy's mandolin pretty...well....they'd better use purple too! (I think my dad would have prefured blue or green though)

P.S. I was going to have an updated pic soon. I lost the cable and driver CD to my camera. I was the high bidder on replacements until my bid was canceled! http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

dirk van coevorden
Sep-25-2003, 3:33am
Well,

Haven't had the opportunity to properly introduce myself to y'all....
My name is Dirk, I'm a not a very good mandoplayer and eh... maybe a pic says more than words...
http://www.dirkvancoevorden.nl/images/Dirk.jpg

fmspinc
Sep-26-2003, 10:04pm
Here is our little rocker girl. She showed some interest in my 1919 A at first, but has really taken to the Bird.

mandoJeremy
Sep-26-2003, 11:38pm
Well then, give her a MandoBird!!!! There's only one "true" position to a scale and the guitar can't lay fame to it!

rakelly3
Sep-27-2003, 1:32am
Here's me. Looks like im hacking away on a rousing 27th verse of Twinkle Twinkle... 27th or 28th... I can't remember... the banjo had the lead.

rakelly3
Sep-27-2003, 1:35am
here.

D.Lightning
Sep-27-2003, 11:52am
Here's me.

craig
Sep-27-2003, 2:27pm
my cool nephew, keaton (3), with my flatiron:

Yonkle
Sep-30-2003, 10:51pm
http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif Here is my Homemade Mandolin, pickin with my brother. This is my Second Mandolin, first was an A5, this is a F5, plays good....Shalom JD

Flatpick
Oct-03-2003, 5:06pm
Some backroom pick'in...Rhonda and me.

Yonkle
Oct-03-2003, 7:48pm
Here's one of me late 60's Pickin with a few of my Pals. They could'nt keep up so they were resting in this shot! http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif JD

mandocats
Oct-04-2003, 12:52am
Some of the banter going on around here is awfully silly...I'm getting alot more laughs than I would watching an Arnie film this evening....
Here's the only photo of me with mando in hand-I'm the one in the green t-shirt. Loki is on my right. The (mando) cats weren't around for a photo that day.
Cheers!

mandobsessed
Oct-09-2003, 1:29pm
GaryM asked me not to do it but I couldn't deny the mandolincafe community the shining glory of his visage. (Certainly not haggard)

The band is Roberts Creek's only excuse for a bluegrass band and we have a strange habit of changing our name for every gig. Makes it seem like there is a huge bluegrass scene up here.

Anyway Gary is the handsome guy on the left tearing up the Martin D-28 http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Harrmob
Oct-09-2003, 4:43pm
You know, just when you think your getting the hang of the mandolin, THIS IS HOW YOUR BAND TREATS YOU!!!!! (I knew I put on deodorant that day, hmmmm)

ira
Oct-09-2003, 7:04pm
isn't the banjo player the guy who should get shunned?:;):

mandobsessed
Oct-09-2003, 7:09pm
Don't worry about it Hrmob, you have a mandolin and don't need all those other "musicians" http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Nik-chick
Oct-14-2003, 9:06pm
JOC, what was REALLY happening in that pic?

Plamen Ivanov
Oct-15-2003, 2:40am
I like the last pic and the comments on it!!!http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

goldtopper
Oct-15-2003, 7:34am
Harrmob-
I can see why you are a good distance from the others-

That dreaded b*njo is about 3" from a mike!
Cruel punishment to put an audience through!

Jim Hilburn
Oct-16-2003, 12:27pm
This is me in '80-'81 doing my best Sam Bush impersonation and it's not working. I'm obviously trying to figure out what the banjo player is doing.
That's my first home made mandolin ,which was less than a year old.

mandopete
Oct-16-2003, 9:08pm
Jim - Love the photo!

I'm thinking that we need a new thread.......

Post A Picture Of Yourself When You Used To Be A Hippie!

Fuzzyway
Oct-16-2003, 9:50pm
Well here is a picture of me with Hilburn #24 in August of 2003.

Fuzzy

mrmando
Oct-17-2003, 11:40pm
Me with my Flatiron (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3356091828&category=200)

Pre-surgery or post? You decide...

levin4now
Oct-18-2003, 6:35am
Jim,

Does a strap of that width help with weight distribution? Your first mandolin wasn't a solid body was it? :D

Just kidding. Nice mando. Speaking of Sam Bush, I had a carpenter come to my place I am renovating to do a few tasks, and his helper stepped out of the truck and I thought "Holy Cow, he brought Sam Bush! - forget the renovation, gimme a mandolin lesson/concert..." Obviously it wasn't him.

rakelly3
Oct-19-2003, 10:38pm
Fuzzy, how'd you get the mando to stick out of your ear like that? That's pretty cool. So do you actually perform that way? I bet it's a big hit with the crowds. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Fuzzyway
Oct-20-2003, 9:09am
rakelly3,

It's all done with smoke and mirrors. You just never know where the second mandolin will appear.

Fuzzy

Nik-chick
Oct-21-2003, 8:44pm
Whoever linked to the nude...please warn that something is a nude. I saw it from the neck up thankfully the way the window popped up (Thank God).

If it was covered then iggy this msg!

rakelly3
Oct-23-2003, 12:03pm
It wasn't. It blocked out one section and the mando covered the other.
~James

f5joe
Oct-23-2003, 9:58pm
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/1f0e3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4/66_p18596.jpg

OdnamNool
Oct-24-2003, 4:15am
Did anyone ever tell you that you look like a lion?

f5joe
Oct-24-2003, 4:58am
Well, yes. #Actually, I'm a big alley cat.

OdnamNool
Oct-24-2003, 5:47am
meee owww...

Darryl Wolfe
Oct-24-2003, 6:11am
Here's the real F5Joe and his Daddy

OdnamNool
Oct-24-2003, 6:32am
Well, then...who's the fake F5Joe?

OdnamNool
Oct-24-2003, 6:34am
(As if I care...)

f5loar
Oct-24-2003, 8:54am
I don't know who the old man is holding the mandolin but I own that suit! I will second that this is indeed the real
F5 "The Stomp" Joe and rumor has it the man beside him is
the one who actually wrote the Stomp.

Darryl Wolfe
Oct-24-2003, 9:12am
Tommy..post a pic of a double bound fingerboard on the Loar pic thread for Evan R

dgw

f5joe
Oct-24-2003, 9:28am
Yes, that's really me w/ Big Mon right after I taught him how to play Bluegrass Stomp. He was very appreciative. Later that day, I showed him how to kick off Roanoke properly. He was a fast learner and an awfully nice fellow. I told him he'd go far. I miss him.

Pittbull
Oct-24-2003, 9:46am
You know, I've seen a million pictures of Big Mon in my life, but in that one with F5Joe i noticed something for the first time. Bill had Chops! Not only on the Mandolin, but on his face! Not only did Elvis steal his song, he stole his look too (LOL)! I gotta grow mine back in! He was too cool for his time!

Nik-chick
Oct-24-2003, 1:01pm
Why does the fake F5Joe remind me of Grisman?

mrmando
Oct-24-2003, 2:15pm
Why does the fake F5Joe remind me of Grisman?
Hm. Well, it reminds me of my old German pal Herbert Dobner.

f5loar
Oct-24-2003, 3:45pm
It reminds you of Grisman because without the face it would
look exactly like him.

OdnamNool
Oct-25-2003, 4:08am
Hmmmm. Do you all suppose it's the real F5Joe's face with the fake F5Joe's hair?

dixiecreek
Oct-26-2003, 4:29am
I don't have any pix of myself with my mando (yet...) so here's the next best thing. ;)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procser....0001610 (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d729b3127cce8e4cc455ecfb0000001610)

Nik-chick
Oct-30-2003, 12:26am
So, who is that with you dixiecreek? *j/k* Did you teach him anything?

I'd have posted sooner, but I couldn't see the pics clearly on WebTV.

P.S. I just got a cable for my digital camera to replace the one I lost, so you should all be able to see what happened to Lazarus (my mando's new middle name) soon. It's REALLY not as bad as the description looks in words.

dixiecreek
Oct-31-2003, 3:43am
So, who is that with you dixiecreek? *j/k* Did you teach him anything?
I taught him everything he knows. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

(HA! ) #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandolooter
Oct-31-2003, 3:11pm
Dixie...that pic is Pre-Do it seems. There has been as much talk about his hair around here as his pickin! You'all make a cute couple BTW:)

dixiecreek
Oct-31-2003, 6:14pm
hehe thanks... so what's this "pre-do" business? sounds humorous http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif (BTW that pic is from less than 2 months ago...)

mandolooter
Oct-31-2003, 6:17pm
....as in hair-do...most of the recent pic's I've seen its standing straight up! Guess it was a no-gel day... http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

dixiecreek
Oct-31-2003, 6:26pm
oh, haha! #well it was certainly standing straight up during the show, the way he plays!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procser....0001610 (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d729b3127cce8e75ba8f4d6c0000001610) http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nik-chick
Nov-07-2003, 2:48pm
I just got my camera working again...so I was taking pics of my short hair so a friend of mine could see what I look like now. I learned a couple things. Seeing pictures of one's self is a VERY humbling expierence (I deleted 90% of them!...I tried to be real and just go with one that was done in one take like the other folks around here...but I can't. I tried). The second was that I will NEVER make fun of anyone for looking tiny next to their instrument again! I swear this is a mandolin not a mandola *LOL*:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/nikchick/NikMando.jpg

No, I don't look like that (not the greatest, but a whole lot better than reality once again). The one at the top of the following page looks more like me than any I haven't deleted (don't feel obligated to look):

Some crazy chick (http://www.geocities.com/strongheart_7/mypics2.htm)

Russ(String-Alley)
Nov-07-2003, 4:31pm
Now there ain't nothing wrong from what I'm seeing, dig the vintage looking blouse!

cheers gal!

Nik-chick
Nov-07-2003, 4:44pm
Meant to ask you, Russ, which one was you in the pics you posted? I couldn't go to the link when you first did that...but I saw alot of people...some obviously weren't you because they were female. Which was?

Russ(String-Alley)
Nov-07-2003, 4:55pm
They moved some stuff around on that site, heres where:here (http://www.vpsouth.com/Photos/viewphotos.mv?xdir=openmic&xphoto=27)

my own site has real tiny pics on it thats not really visible and its probably for the best anyway,
cheers gal!

MandoMichael
Nov-07-2003, 5:42pm
Hi Nik-chick. Nice pic. I like the color scheme used in the picture; the oranges and the subtle hues of red.

JMUSIC
Nov-07-2003, 5:58pm
Dang Nik-chick, you sure are a cutie! John :p

chirorehab
Nov-07-2003, 6:07pm
Me & my MK.... Taking a break in Key Biscayne...

http://chiropracticrehab.com/images/mando1.jpg

mandoJeremy
Nov-07-2003, 9:45pm
JMUSIC, I would have to correct you and say that she is definitely a HOTTIE!!! The mandolin only adds to her beauty!! The dream woman: Beautiful and plays mando!!!

FrankenMouse
Nov-07-2003, 10:24pm
Dibs.

mandoJeremy
Nov-07-2003, 10:27pm
Oh yeah, I have (but only with permission) first!!!!!!!!!!

chirorehab
Nov-07-2003, 11:20pm
Hey, what about me?

fishdawg40
Nov-08-2003, 9:20am
You guys sound like a bunch of rabid dogs. #Get a hold of yourself. # http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Chirorehab, your mandolin is very nice. #http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Nik-chick
Nov-08-2003, 5:12pm
*getting off of things that make her blush quickly*

cheriorehab..oh man did I mess that up! YES! So cool, you're in UNIFORM! (I wore the closest thing to a hawaiian shirt I have myself...but yours is totally right) and it's great you have an MK, they are so underrated. (And, yes, I was going to say all of that BEFORE you asked for feedback *L*)

Nik-chick
Nov-08-2003, 5:13pm
P.S. (I don't have time to go back and edit) I don't play mando...I hold it. *L* I'll get around to learning it though.

chirorehab
Nov-08-2003, 6:37pm
Nik-check (or is it Neck-chik),

Oh, it's all about the shirt... and don't worry I mostly hold mine too! Although, chopping makes it appear that I actually know what I am doing!

Cherio,

Eric

GVD
Nov-08-2003, 6:45pm
Hey Nik-chick what kind of mandolin are you just holding ? http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

GVD

Nik-chick
Nov-09-2003, 2:51pm
*ignoring distortion of handle*

---

GVD: It USED to be an Alvarez (see less than glam mando thread)

chirorehab
Nov-09-2003, 3:00pm
Ok, but Nik-check is better than Cheriorehab.

Fishdawg - thanks & Bluegrassbox rocks!

Eric

Nik-chick
Nov-09-2003, 10:54pm
*L* THAT was an accident! As I assumed Nik-Check was. I was refuring to the second distortion of the handle...bad timing. *LOL* I realize you didn't mean anything except getting me back for cheriorehab now. Atleast I tried. I could have called you Cheerio rehab. =P

Joe F
Nov-10-2003, 8:31am
Is Cheerio rehab the place where they send cereal killers?

chirorehab
Nov-10-2003, 9:44am
I guess it's better than Fruitloop!

I gotta run - I have a cheerio (er, guitar-playing patient) to rehab!

Eric

Scotti Adams
Nov-10-2003, 6:19pm
..in my hometown they found a man dead behind a grocery store...lying in a puddle of milk and a with a banana stuck in his mouth...yep..you guessed it...the work of a Cereal Killer....

Nik-chick
Nov-11-2003, 1:22am
Whew-Lordy! How punny. When did this turn into auditions for Hee-Haw? That show's done off. :p

Scotti Adams
Nov-11-2003, 8:27am
Whew-Lordy! How punny. When did this turn into auditions for Hee-Haw? That show's done off. :p
hey..wait I resemble that remark.. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ....wheres your sense of humor Nik....sorry I struck a nerve http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/oh.gif

AlanN
Nov-11-2003, 8:33am
A preacher ran into a woman of the night. He said "You know, I prayed for your soul for two hours last night." She said "Heck, you should've called on the phone, I'd have been over in 5 minutes."

Don't thank me, thank Mike Snider.

Scotti Adams
Nov-11-2003, 9:33am
...ok ...I couldnt resist..my little Kaylee Laine...7 months old....Ive got another pic some place where she is chewing the scroll on the headstock....literally cutting her teeth on the mando...it took me a little while to get the baby goo off the mando but it was worth it. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/love.gif

ira
Nov-11-2003, 10:52am
look at that right hand, poised for a power chord!

Nik-chick
Nov-11-2003, 5:26pm
hey..wait I resemble that remark.. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ....wheres your sense of humor Nik....sorry I struck a nerve http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/oh.gif
Only one explanation for my post: My @** has always been smarter than me. It's a fact I've learned to live with. http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

skippy
Nov-11-2003, 7:27pm
OK I give up, here is a picture my wife took of me when I wasn't expecting it... (I had just looked up&#33http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandopete
Nov-11-2003, 7:31pm
Just stoppin' by the ol' Cafe to see how things were going....41,468 hits! Man, that has got to be a record of some sort.

Bsck to my nap - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bluesmandolinman
Nov-15-2003, 4:25pm
Why not...
That´s me with my ´27 Ajr Bluesmachine
Cheers,René http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

bluesmandolinman
Nov-15-2003, 4:27pm
http://de.geocities.com/fotos_fr_ebay/mandocafe.jpg

TomBrisk
Nov-15-2003, 8:38pm
This is with my old Sullivan, a '92 A model at the back porch after our Darrington set in what, 2000?

I'll find that photo of the new (12/01) monster John Sullivan F, and get one of the Dick Linke electric model as well...

Some fun, Pete- must be nice to have all that bandwidth at work for maintaining these things, eh ;-)

-Tom

mandopete
Nov-18-2003, 10:44am
Some fun, Pete- must be nice to have all that bandwidth at work for maintaining these things, eh ;-)
Yeah - ever since I got me a 1200 baud modem, I'm SMOKIN'

http://mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

ira
Nov-18-2003, 10:48am
after viewing the last pic , i need to get me a bolo tie! not sure how it would go over in new england, but i dig it!

fidla
Nov-18-2003, 1:52pm
Here's one from '96 with my band Maple Ridge. That's John Rough on the 5 string, Joe Blumenthal on the doghouse and Terry Atkinson on the D28. Me with a beard and not a gray hair on my head...

Dead image link removed by moderator. Jamie Stanek

Russ(String-Alley)
Nov-18-2003, 4:18pm
I wear bolo's around all the time in NYC, folks just look at me wierd....

cheers y'all

oldwave maker
Nov-18-2003, 4:45pm
homade bolo-rama:
mandofretboard extensionectomy- what else would you use it for?
fender 6v6 w/ patchcord- now flashes red thanks to gizmo coors light girls gave me at the last defibrillators gig....
bighorn sheep fiddlescroll- grafted on a new scroll with a monkey with the hands over the ears!
regular fiddlescroll- make 2 from each fiddle!
bullet lodged in hearts-n-flowers banjo fretboard- self explanatory, sure sign of bad aim.

mrmando
Nov-18-2003, 4:54pm
Love the bolos, Bill. Got any extra fiddle scrolls? The tube is a great idea as well. I have made a few out of CDs, radio dials, coins, wristwatches and old alarm clock parts.

pdxmando
Nov-18-2003, 11:24pm
Ok, no mando, but here's me and my boy Aaron enjoying some guitar picking.

mandoJeremy
Nov-18-2003, 11:32pm
He looks too happy with an instrument in hand. #You BETTER give him a mando! OM's do rock!

Scotti Adams
Dec-05-2003, 1:17pm
....I think I seen you on that reality show.."Extreme Dating"....Ive seen that face somewhere...

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-05-2003, 3:10pm
I know this has been covered in other theads but I can't seem to make it work. How do you post pics? Nothing I try works...

midmando
Dec-05-2003, 6:11pm
Here are a coupla future stars - my two middle kids, Jay and Heidi

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-05-2003, 6:24pm
How did you post that pick midmando??

midmando
Dec-05-2003, 6:32pm
at the bottom of the reply it says "You may attach a file to this message" I shrunk the picture down to a small enough size, saved it on my computer, and selected it.

mandolooter
Dec-05-2003, 6:39pm
He sure made it sound easy huh TNVol.!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-05-2003, 7:06pm
thnx a bunch.

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-05-2003, 10:50pm
Here ya go..Thats me waiting till that helo refuels..

f5loar
Dec-06-2003, 3:02am
Okay here is my attempt at a photo of me but not with
my mandolin. It's my alter ego.

Eugene
Dec-06-2003, 9:46am
Well, f5loar, at least it's not a Gretsche.

mandopete
Dec-06-2003, 12:17pm
Looks like the Roger McGuinn style mandolin!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mandovt
Dec-08-2003, 2:15pm
here is a picture of me and my Absaroka with a newly installed Weber tailpiece/armrest. I also have a tone guard on. Bruce and Family rock http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Jeff_Stallard
Dec-08-2003, 3:14pm
Okay fine...I'll contribute to this perpetual thread. Here's the most recent picture I have. I look nice and calm, but I was trying to fix my granparents' computer and it was very frustrating.

Russ(String-Alley)
Dec-08-2003, 4:26pm
Here is one Sean of the duo SAGEWIND and myself showing off our favorite website in the world. We were in NYC for a gig. This was the first show that I have ever done that had two mando related bands on the bill. we had a great time.
this one is for you Scott. You Rule!! thanks for everything buddy!

Jeff_Stallard
Dec-09-2003, 11:43am
45,000 views!!! Amazing!!!

mandopete
Dec-12-2003, 1:01pm
45K + and going strong - whodathought?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-13-2003, 6:26pm
Here's one of my daughter..

Dagger Gordon
Dec-15-2003, 5:24am
This is such a good thread that I feel a party pooper not to have put anything in, so you can see me on

http://www.tradmusic.com/artistinfo.asp?artistID=427

A summer 2001 promotional shot, I'm afraid, which I realise isn't quite what's wanted. I'll try and organise a more informal picture of me playing music with my 3 kids (on guitar, double bass and fiddle).

Just getting a light covering of snow here in the North of Scotland -the first of the winter. The weather here has been extraordinarily warm and dry for well over a year now.

Seasons greetings to all.

jasona
Dec-16-2003, 12:05am
Not bad Dagger!

All the best to you and all the rest!

mandopete
Dec-16-2003, 11:10am
Yes - Seasoned Greetings to all!

mad dawg
Dec-16-2003, 12:24pm
Great shot Dagger.

(I see that you were playing with only 1 C-string on your Sobell at the time.)

Dagger Gordon
Dec-17-2003, 3:42am
Pretty sharp-eyed, Mad Dawg.

You are right. I actually tune the bottom string(s) to D; it works far better for chords. I sometimes find that if I play through a pick-up, the bass strings can be a bit loud, particularly if the sound is a bit toppy and we roll the treble back.
At the time I was experimenting with just one at the bottom, believing that it would provide enough sound from the bottom D but perhaps have a more balanced amplified sound. I have since decided it didn't really make all that much difference and have gone back to 10 strings.
I don't do an awful lot of melody playing on the bottom D, but I always fret it for chords, usually with my thumb.

Cheers,

mad dawg
Dec-17-2003, 3:36pm
Thanks for the feedback Dagger; I am still adapting to my 10-string Freshwater, and I think I'll experiment with tuning the lowest course to D. BTW, I just ordered your newest CD -- which tracks should I take a close listen to in order to study your use of the low D string(s)?

Dagger Gordon
Dec-18-2003, 4:12am
Thanks for that, Mad Dawg.

Generally I use the bottom string when I'm playing chords, as opposed to playing melody, particularly if I'm accompanying someone.

The last album The Frozen River mostly featured my melody playing on the mandolin, with more chordal stuff being done on the 8 string cittern.

There's therefore maybe not as much bottom string work as I've perhaps led you to believe, but all the tunes in keys that involve the note D (ie D, G, G minor,D minor etc) give you a chance to fatten the sound up by playing the bottom D as a drone without much extra effort, while playing mostly melody.

I haven't actually listened to the CD for a while, but from memory, The Gentle Rain and Bonnie At Morn (both G minor) and The Wee Twister and The Spiral Staircase (D and D minor) probably have some bottom D string. Maybe also Cursing The Midges (D).

Three of the tracks (including the hornpipes on Mandolin Cafe MP3) were in any case played on a 1912 A model Gibson. I always use the 10 string Sobell live, but sometimes for recording it's not a bad thing to try to vary the sound.

I hope the CD arrives soon and you're pleased with it.

All the best, #Dagger

levin4now
Dec-18-2003, 7:58am
dagger and maddawg,

why not Post a Picture of Yourself along with your 10 string mando"? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

alan

mad dawg
Dec-21-2003, 6:26pm
Here ya go, Alan: a pic of me practicing some Xmas carols...

mad dawg
Dec-21-2003, 6:31pm
Thanks again Dagger, and I'm looking forward to giving The Frozen River a listen (or more likely, a listen after listen after listen...).

ira
Dec-21-2003, 11:07pm
here are me and my new baby, rocking and pickin at our yearly chanukah party after playing the dreidel song for the youth for i think the 40th time (and still smiling unbelievably)

ira
Dec-21-2003, 11:10pm
don't know if it worked here goes again

ira
Dec-21-2003, 11:12pm
sorry, seem to have put something on there that was not a pic- but, first one came up....i can't figure out this posting pic thing for the life of me.

Burbs
Dec-22-2003, 3:42pm
Here is me and my LaPlant #116 Sittin' by my Koi pond in sunny AZ....

mandocrustacean
Dec-23-2003, 8:41am
Here is a "mug" shot I took with a pinhole camera that I made. I had to sit still for thirty seconds. Sorry no mandolin is pictured. I play a Weber Hyalite.

Songbird
Dec-26-2003, 4:34pm
Well it's not a great picture but I'm so pleased to finally have a mandolin so I thought I'd stick it up anyway http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Michael H Geimer
Dec-28-2003, 1:49pm
Xmas was fun. The nieces and nephews just adore the mandolin. I even think this might be the first ever picture of me with a mandolin.

Here's me with Danny(3), and Mikayla(5). Great kids!

- Benignus (a.k.a Uncle Mike)

mando bandage
Dec-28-2003, 9:55pm
Benignus (a.k.a Uncle Mike)

I admire someone who lets his nieces and nephews get their fingerprints all over his Weber. They'll sooner learn appreciation for music from that than from "no, don't touch that."

Rob

Michael H Geimer
Dec-28-2003, 10:22pm
Hey thanks. That's the whole point, too. To make sure the kids know that music is something we can make ourselves, and that it's really fun!

mandoJeremy
Dec-28-2003, 11:42pm
Okay, here's a more updated and recent photo of me with a dang guitar! I don't know what I was thinking!