PDA

View Full Version : Guitarist looking for mandolin info for personal purchase

mulholland76
Oct-09-2011, 9:33pm
For anyone that has a second: I'm a performing guitarist that has decided to branch out a little and purchase a mandolin. After being referred to this site, can anyone give me a tip or two on if there is a quality mandolin made for around $300, maybe even used? I've already been told that there isn't a middle ground like there is for guitars when it comes to mandolins, you either buy something worthy or a real piece of junk. Just trying to avoid junk to sit next to my Taylors as I continue to have fun playing music! Please don't take that as snobby I'm not trying to be. Thanks.

Jim
Oct-09-2011, 9:52pm
At $300 I'd suggest a lower end Kentucky and used would be better, A style will get you more mandolin for the money than F. Used "The Loar" might be had at this price and I heard a fine sounding A style Gold tone ( also by Saga like Kentucky) in the hands of a friend last year, don't know the model but she payed exactly 300 for it. Play ( or play with) all of them you can as there is a great deal of difference between individual instruments at this price point.

GRW3
Oct-09-2011, 10:00pm
Quality? $300? ----- No.

Starter mandolin? Playable? Possible, more so if it's used.

To be comparable to your Taylor will take more money than the Taylor cost. Assuming equal bling levels. Instruments are valued on labor more than wood quantity. Everybody that comes to mando from guitar gets sticker shock.

mulholland76
Oct-09-2011, 10:08pm
Thank you both. At the risk of being shunned on this forum site I'll add that I'm more of an acoustic blues and classic rock player than i am any bluegrass. For that matter i was just reading up on the Ovation MM68 since I saw one played on youtube and thought it had a very full sound plugged in, good resonation and tone. Should I avoid a composite instrument like that or is the ovation respectable?

Bill Snyder
Oct-09-2011, 11:06pm
FWIW there are a lot of forum members here that don't play bluegrass (there is a section for several different genres including rock and blues). One of the regular posters Tim2723 plays professionally and he has an Ovation. Perhaps he will see this thread and chime in about them.

mrmando
Oct-09-2011, 11:08pm
The MM68 is respectable. I personally don't have any respect for the overseas-built Ovations (MM68AX, MCS148, MAE148), but opinions differ.

A used MM68 is likely to set you back a good deal more than $300, however. If you can find one for that amount, grab it. If it does not float your boat, you can double your money when you sell it.

allenhopkins
Oct-09-2011, 11:14pm
At the risk of being shunned on this forum site I'll add that I'm more of an acoustic blues and classic rock player than i am any bluegrass. For that matter i was just reading up on the Ovation MM68 since I saw one played on youtube and thought it had a very full sound plugged in, good resonation and tone. Should I avoid a composite instrument like that or is the ovation respectable?

1. You won't get "shunned" for playing rock or blues. Scroll down, and you'll see forums (fora?) devoted to these genres. Almost certainly bluegrass mandolinists are the largest Cafe constituency, but there are plenty of others.

2. Ovation acoustic-electric mandolins get widespread "props" for their amplified sound; they're a little "off-center" as mandolins go, with fixed rather than floating bridges and their fiberglas bodies, but are rated as well-designed for "plugged in" playing.

3. I'd like to slightly differ with some of the above posts. You can get a respectable mandolin, A-model, all solid wood, carved top, by Kentucky or other Asian labels, for around the price you describe, especially if you're buying a used one. Not a "pro grade" instrument, but surely not "junk." Assuming your first guitar wasn't a Taylor, Martin, Santa Cruz, or other high-grade instrument. No harm in making a modest investment in your first mandolin, to see if you take to it, and then stepping up into four figures for the second one, if you do. Just make sure whatever you buy is properly set up; this is a bit more complex for mandolins than it generally is for guitars.

robert.najlis
Oct-10-2011, 12:03am
Maybe an Eastman 300 series? I am not sure of the exact price on them, but they should be fairly close to your price range I think.

Ron McMillan
Oct-10-2011, 2:07am
You can surely get an instrument within your budget (or very close to it), one that will allow you to learn and grow as a mandolin player, and that won't need thrown away or exchanged within six months even if you do get serious about the mandolin.

If you browse this forum you will find countless references to 'set up', and its crucial importance. So if you can buy a decent starter mandolin, for example the The Loar LM220 from FolkMusician.com - see it here (http://www.folkmusician.com/The-Loar-LM-220-Mandolin/productinfo/LM-220/)- then you will get a good mandolin that is well set up (by all reports the folks at Folk Musician are justifiably proud of their attention to detail regarding set up). At $340, it's pretty much on budget.

The 220 is the bottom of the range A model, but seemingly not the lesser instrument for being so. Its 'superior' siblings cost more mostly because they have more decorative finishing, more bling.

ron

8ch(pl)
Oct-10-2011, 5:19am
Mid Missouri, now called Big Muddy is a Flat top US built mandolin that is usually found for about $350 in the used market. Normally has good setup, you will find that these are great sounding mandolins. They are all solid wood construction.

Other Flat tops, such as Redline Traveller, Trinity College, etc. are also worth a look.

multidon
Oct-10-2011, 8:24am
If you are a fan of Taylor guitar quality then surely you are familiar with Breedlove, as he used to work with Taylor. They make a really nice USA made mandolin line. A style oval hole is street price around 999, with F holes 1199. If you keep your eye on the cafe classifieds, sometimes eBay, Craigslist, used gear Guitar center Web site, Elderly, etc. you can find good used Breedloves in the 700-800 range. I know that's more than you wanted to spend but it would be a worthy purchase, believe me. And I think you could always sell it easily for close to what you have in it if you purchase used. Breedlove builds their mandolins with radiused ebony fingerboards, larger frets, and a bit wider nut than "normal", features which those moving to the mandolin from guitar seem to appreciate.

multidon
Oct-10-2011, 3:31pm
You should check out the Guitar Center Web site right now. Just go to Used Gear and search for "Mandolin" nationwide. One store has a Breedlove oval hole A style for 699. Another store has a Godin A8 for 449. The Godin is another choice I forgot to mention. They are nice instruments but designed primarily for playing plugged in.

JeffD
Oct-10-2011, 3:38pm
been told that there isn't a middle ground like there is for guitars when it comes to mandolins, you either buy something worthy or a real piece of junk..

One kind of guideline is that quality for quality a mandolin costs about twice what a guitar does. So for example, you know from your experience kind of what you can get in a guitar for around $300.00. That level of quality in a mandolin will be around $600.00. In general, with exceptions and special deals and OMG aside.

So for a budget of $300 mandolin dollars, the quality you can get, in general, will be roughly what you expect in a $150.00 guitar.

For what its worth....

JeffD
Oct-10-2011, 3:42pm
OH, and I forgot my manners. Welcome to the site and to our obsession. For every question there are more than a few answers. But I think you will find us a friendly bunch with a very diverse range of interests and experience. There are quite a few accoustic blues and rock folks on here.

We don't make them wear any special uniform or badge or anything. :)

eadg145
Oct-10-2011, 3:55pm
Welcome to the Cafe!

I just want to second the recommendations for the Mid Missouri and Redline Traveler mandolins. Both are slightly above your budget, but once the bug bites (and it will, oh it will...) you won't feel compelled to replace either of them. Be sure to check the Classifieds here often as well. Lots of great instruments on offer, from very respectable and trustworthy folks (as a general rule).

Good luck on finding your first mandolin. I'll be interested to know how many you have after five years. ;)

mulholland76
Oct-10-2011, 9:22pm
OH, and I forgot my manners. Welcome to the site and to our obsession. For every question there are more than a few answers. But I think you will find us a friendly bunch with a very diverse range of interests and experience. There are quite a few accoustic blues and rock folks on here.

We don't make them wear any special uniform or badge or anything. :)

Thanks for taking the time. I do see that people don't mind taking a few minutes to put their 2 cents in. I just missed an ovation MM68 on craigslist this morning, he wanted $300. Swing and a miss!

MandoSquirrel
Oct-11-2011, 8:05pm
Mid Missouri, now called Big Muddy is a Flat top US built mandolin that is usually found for about $350 in the used market. Normally has good setup, you will find that these are great sounding mandolins. They are all solid wood construction.

Other Flat tops, such as Redline Traveller, Trinity College, etc. are also worth a look.

Another vote that you consider used flatties.

yankees1
Oct-11-2011, 8:27pm
I do have an Eastman 505 that I bought new and played on for three months before upgrading. Great condition. $400. I paid $600.00

RikJohnson
Oct-21-2011, 1:24pm
This is great. I started searching the net specifically seeking the same info as yankees1 and for the same reason. I even own the mentioned expensive Taylor. :) I'll continue my search with all the suggestions mentioned here in mind. Thanks!

Treblemaker
Oct-21-2011, 1:58pm
Purchasing a mandolin online takes a leap of faith.
I'd aver that you are much more likely to love the instrument you invest in if you play it before you buy it... so look for sellers who offer a few days evaluation period in case you have second thoughts once you receive what you have purchased. Also, be aware, you may have to pony up the shipping cost if you change your mind.

This is one of the grand challenges of finding satisfaction in the mandolin world.
This obviously applies to other instruments too - but there are a lot more guitars and basses out there for the trying then good quality mandolins.

YMMV