PDA

View Full Version : Beginner here

ciudadmarron
Oct-09-2011, 12:32am
Just wanted to share my story and post pictures of my brand new toy.
I'm a bass player (don't hold it against me!), and as a high school teacher I made a passing comment to my senior class a couple of months back that if I ever picked up another instrument it might be a mandolin. This was purely after stumbling across some vintage instruments at Elderlys when I was actually looking at basses I might add, and nothing more.
So after giving my farewell speech at their graduation a couple of weeks back I was completely blown away when they presented me with this:

Guess I'm going to have to learn - but I'm looking forward to i!

Grommet
Oct-09-2011, 2:19am
Something to treasure for sure. Welcome to the Cafe. May it bring you years of joy.

Scott

Ron McMillan
Oct-09-2011, 6:01am
Something to treasure for sure. Welcome to the Cafe. May it bring you years of joy.

Scott

I echo Grommet's sentiments. Enjoy!

Paul Busman
Oct-09-2011, 6:26am
Man, you must be a great teacher to have your class do that. Congratulations. Now, do them the honor of playing the heck out of that thing. Prepare yourself for having your bass oriented fingers feeling REALLY cramped.

Ed Goist
Oct-09-2011, 6:49am
Congratulations!
What a wonderful story. You made my day.

Denny Gies
Oct-09-2011, 7:03am
Yea, I agree with Ed, great story to start the day. You will have a lot of fun and frustration with this new friend but it should bring you the same kind of rewards that your students feedback to you. Congratulations.

Driftertex
Oct-09-2011, 3:05pm
Congrats and I bet you are a wonderful teacher. Now show them all n learn it.

ciudadmarron
Oct-09-2011, 6:47pm
Thankyou all for the comments - it's made my year and is honestly the best present I have ever received. Don't know what it says about my teaching - and I was their year advisor/grade co-ordinator/whatever you want to call it as well - but it's nice to know I've been appreciated and that they took the time to think about it!

I've already got a little blues shuffle in G happening but you are right about those fingers... plus I play bass with smooth flatwound strings and no pick so there are a few things to get used to - finger tips are still hardening up! Pretty sure I'll be hitting up this place for the odd question :)

ciudadmarron
Oct-09-2011, 6:48pm
Congrats and I bet you are a wonderful teacher. Now show them all n learn it.

Will catch up with them in the new year and have already been told in no uncertain terms that I have to demonstrate my new skills :)

Paul Busman
Oct-09-2011, 7:09pm
There are flatwound mandolin strings which you may want to consider when the current ones go flat on you.

ciudadmarron
Oct-09-2011, 7:57pm
There are flatwound mandolin strings which you may want to consider when the current ones go flat on you.

Interesting - thanks for the tip! Anywhere I can check out some soundclips? What type of music are they good for?

Dave Weiss
Oct-10-2011, 12:53am
Check out the thread in the equipment section on the FW-74's. They seem to be good for about about any kind of music. I know I like 'em. And congrats on your gift, I work at a High School and know how special it is to get something from the kids. Somehow makes it all worthwhile...

billkilpatrick
Oct-10-2011, 3:20am
great story, congratulations. my first mandolin was an epiphone mm-30 - i gave it to my eldest son and whenever we visit, it's always a pleasure to get reacquainted.

nota bene: beware of MAS ...

ciudadmarron
Oct-10-2011, 5:27pm
great story, congratulations. my first mandolin was an epiphone mm-30 - i gave it to my eldest son and whenever we visit, it's always a pleasure to get reacquainted.

nota bene: beware of MAS ...

I'm already all too familiar with GAS... now I've got to deal with MAS as well! :))

Having a look last night it seems it's strung with Sam Bushes... think I will persist with these for a while. I use monel strings for one of my basses... while the idea of flatwounds appeals for the mandolin as well just to get my fingers used to it and for ease of not having to replace so often I'm thinking I still want a bit more of that classic twangy sound out of it which from what I understand these still have.