PDA

View Full Version : What to buy

Kenpen123
Oct-01-2011, 9:34pm
I am looking at mandolins to purchase. I've looked at so many that I'm confused. What would be good in the 4 to 5 hundred dollar range. I'm looking at the Loar 520 f and the Kentucky 505 A. Please give me your opinions. Om open for suggestions
Thanks

jmalmsteen
Oct-01-2011, 9:38pm
Go for the Kentucky.

allenhopkins
Oct-02-2011, 12:42am
You've "looked at" a lot of them; how many have you actually played? These threads come up constantly -- must be three or four active now -- and what you're going to get is a large number of opinions, some saying one, some the other, some suggesting a third choice...

But it's your choice, your personal preference, your money. If you live anywhere near a dealer that stocks a selection of mandolins within your budget, go there and play every one of them. Remember, every LM-520 or KM-505 is a little bit different, so the Loar Sam Yehudi loves may not be just like the one you try and say, "Eeeeuw!" Hands-on is the secret, IMHO.

Not always easy to follow this advice, if you live in Mando Desert country where there are no well-stocked dealers. But I'd make a day's trip, were I spending $500, to a city where I could try a few out. At the least, if you're internet buying, get it from a dealer who (a) does dealer set-up on instruments, and (b) offers a reasonable return policy.

At the very least, hit up all your mandolin-playing friends (assuming you have some, which you probably do), try out their instruments, and get a good concept of what you most like and dislike in an instrument. Oh, and consider buying used, if you have a decent reliable source; lots more bang for the buck.

Ed Goist
Oct-02-2011, 12:59am
At this price range, I'd recommend you use your leg-work and research to choose a dealer (who has a good selection and reputation for set-ups and customer service) and not a mandolin.

Then, once you've selected your dealer, provide them with your general desired specs, and ask them to send you the best mandolin they have that meets your criteria.

mandobassman
Oct-03-2011, 9:12pm
Both of those you listed are fine mandolins to start with. I have heard nothing but good things about the quality and sound of the Kentucky 505 for the money.

pager
Oct-04-2011, 11:20am
You've "looked at" a lot of them; how many have you actually played? These threads come up constantly -- must be three or four active now -- and what you're going to get is a large number of opinions, some saying one, some the other, some suggesting a third choice...

But it's your choice, your personal preference, your money. If you live anywhere near a dealer that stocks a selection of mandolins within your budget, go there and play every one of them. Remember, every LM-520 or KM-505 is a little bit different, so the Loar Sam Yehudi loves may not be just like the one you try and say, "Eeeeuw!" Hands-on is the secret, IMHO.

Not always easy to follow this advice, if you live in Mando Desert country where there are no well-stocked dealers. But I'd make a day's trip, were I spending $500, to a city where I could try a few out. At the least, if you're internet buying, get it from a dealer who (a) does dealer set-up on instruments, and (b) offers a reasonable return policy.

At the very least, hit up all your mandolin-playing friends (assuming you have some, which you probably do), try out their instruments, and get a good concept of what you most like and dislike in an instrument. Oh, and consider buying used, if you have a decent reliable source; lots more bang for the buck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sam Yehudi ... :)) Oh Allen, you are a gem on this Cafe! Thank you for that post. Besides the FANTASTIC advice, you made my morning by introducing me to Sam. :redface:

Jillian

Markus
Oct-04-2011, 11:34am
Completely agree with Allen.

Put a couple in your hands. Bring a friend, if just to listen and give their opinion.

Play some cheaper, and play one or two well above your price range. It's useful knowing what a very nice mandolin plays like. [I'm thinking Collings, Gibson, etc] Also what it sounds/resonates like ... but I was surprised at how easy they played in comparison to [often not set up well] low end models.

Then stop, realize it's your opinion that matters as you may be spending hundreds or thousands of hours practicing by yourself and that no one will hear that instrument played anywhere near as much as you will.

Get one that plays well, that makes you smile. The internet can help focus your search on good models/brands ... but your opinion is the only one that really matters.

A road trip to a place with a great shop is a fun trip, a good story about the instrument, and an idea worth considering. A great shop might charge you more than online, but it's nice to play a selection and choose what your hands like best.

Brent Hutto
Oct-04-2011, 11:41am
For some of us the only way to "put a mandolin in our hands" is to buy it from a dealer who will let us return it if we don't like it. Nothing wrong with that approach although there is certainly a cost involved if you end up sending one or two back (even if it just costs you postage both ways that can run a hundred bucks).

As for where I live, unless I'm willing to drive four hours each way to a real dealer any mandolin I could find in person is all but guaranteed to be one that would convince me I'll never be able to play the darned thing. The few places who do have them to sell most certainly do not have them set up where a beginner can get a decent sound of them.

allenhopkins
Oct-04-2011, 7:34pm
...unless I'm willing to drive four hours each way to a real dealer...

I'd do that if I were spending $500, in preference to ordering on-line and sending instruments back. Nice trip, nice store, have a good meal at a restaurant, maybe check out a club or coffeehouse, rent a motel room, go to the water park the next morning...

Yeah, it does add up, doesn't it?

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-05-2011, 3:17am
Allen's right - take a trip & visit a dealer who has a decent range of instruments that you can try out. You may even come across a 'used' one in your price range that would have cost far more new. I've personally made 3 x 10 hour round trips by train to visit the best dealer in the UK & it was worth it every time,
Ivan