PDA

View Full Version : Dawg picks vs Ivory

Bobby Brite
Feb-18-2004, 2:05pm
I just bought a dozen of the Dawg picks and like them a lot but I am still thinking about trying out the Ivory picks. I know that the Ivory picks can be pretty expensive so I just wanted to get some feedback on them before I shell out the money.

Oh, the reason the Ivory seem expensive to me is because I've never spent more than 4 dollars on a pick.

Thanks, Bobby

mando bandage
Feb-18-2004, 2:56pm
Bobby,

I yielded to the same temptation and ordered a Dawg-shaped ivory pick with a slightly sharper bevel on the edge from our very own Bratsche (Cafe Member). Couldn't be more satisfied. Smoother on the strings with less pick-click than plastic and far less slippery in the hand.

Best testimonial is from my 9 yoa son. First time I tried the pick, he was sitting nearby playing. Suddenly, he looked up and said "do that again." Do what, I replied. "Make it sound like it came from all over the room." He's right, it does sound different.

Rob

Bobby Brite
Feb-18-2004, 3:54pm
Sounds like it makes a world of difference. Thanks Rob, Bobby

Potosimando
Feb-18-2004, 9:57pm
I bought a Dawg-shaped Ivory from Bratsche without a bevel on the edge (i.e. rounded edge) and was very disappointed--I thought the real Dawg sounded much better. #Could be that I prefer the mellow Dawg tone compared to the overly hard, brash sound that I get from the ivory (in other words, most likely it is an individual tone preference).

Every few months, usually whenever I read something complimentary about B.'s ivory picks, I drag out my Ivory to see if I missed something and I always come to the same conclusion: #what a waste of money...not to mention the indirect encouragement of the poaching of elephants for their ivory (the apparent legality of her "old ivory" aside).

With the above said however, if you don't care about the elephants, or choose to conveniently ignore the ethics of the matter, then you probably should have a bevel put on your ivory pick because the rounded edge doesn't seem to cut it (at least not for me).

mando bandage
Feb-19-2004, 4:40pm
Could be a marriage of strings to pick issue too. FWIW I use T-I Starks (heavies), which made a BIG difference in tonal clarity on my Washburn.

R

MandoPicker
Feb-19-2004, 7:28pm
Potosimando, isn't your quote:

not to mention the indirect encouragement of the poaching of elephants for their ivory (the apparent legality of her "old ivory" aside).

With the above said however, if you don't care about the elephants, or choose to conveniently ignore the ethics of the matter

a bit like the pot calling the kettle black? In other words, I think you're crying over spilled milk. Your comments about ethics, well, I think you're buying it in the first place is as unethical as selling it. You have contributed your fair share by encouraging the poaching of the ivory by creating a market for it when you plunked down your money.

John

Potosimando
Feb-19-2004, 9:48pm
You're exactly right...I'm glad the message came through loud and clear. #I didn't even stop to think of the big picture until long after I had purchased my "second" Ivory pick--slow mind, I guess, or maybe just too much enthusiasm in the search for perfect pick.

Wish I could turn back the clock re. my buying before thinking about it, but obviously can't. #I was just trying to throw my error out to others in case they hadn't stopped to think the matter through.

So...glad you pointed out what I assumed was obvious--i.e. don't make the same inadvertent mistake I made by running in and buying an ivory pick without considering the ethical implications. #

Thanks, John.

P.S. #I don't fault anyone for not agreeing with me--we all have our own ways of looking at such things. #Just think it through first is all. #I didn't.