PDA

View Full Version : 1906 Gibson A style

raycantu
Sep-20-2011, 6:18pm
I just ran into a person that has a Gibson 1906 A body with the round sound hole or oval, It has a crack in the back about 2" that could be fixed...Anyways we started talking and she said she would take $700.00 for it but she also said make me an offer....It has the original case with the key and a gig bag you put the case in and they are in great condition.
Now can any one tell me anything about the Gibson mandolin???And would it be a good buy for $600.00 if this person would take it?
I will try to get pictures in the next day or so.

MandoSquirrel
Sep-20-2011, 7:57pm
Not much info, but an '06 A for $6 - 700 sounds like a bargain

Jim Garber
Sep-20-2011, 9:38pm
Those early Gibsons are an acquired taste. Make sure that you like the tone. It also depends on the crack. You might want to take it to a luthier before purchase and see what the work would cost to make it right.

raycantu
Sep-20-2011, 10:00pm
Those early Gibsons are an acquired taste. Make sure that you like the tone. It also depends on the crack. You might want to take it to a luthier before purchase and see what the work would cost to make it right.

Thats the thing being that I know next to nothing about Mandolins I would hate to pay $700.00 for it then spend another $4-500.00 on it to get it all fixed and still not be woth much.
Iam thinking if I did have it maybe later I could trade it for the Mandolin that I want.
I will take pictures tomorrow and post them up.

allenhopkins
Sep-20-2011, 10:50pm
1. All Gibson mandolins from Orville's initial designs up until Lloyd Loar designed the F-5, had oval sound holes, as far as I know.

2. You need to determine what model "A" mandolin it is. Gibson made A, A-1, A-2, A-3 and A-4 mandolins starting in 1902. They have different binding, soundhole rosettes, headstock inlays. If there's a legible label inside the mandolin, it should have the model number written in pencil.

3. $700 would be a very reasonable price for a Gibson mandolin of that vintage, if it's playable and restorable without undue cost. You needn't worry that it "won't be worth much" -- if it is what you say it is -- because an early Gibson in good restored condition, without a refinish or significant component replacement, will always evoke interest among Gibson aficionados and collectors.

4. If you don't like the mandolin as an instrument to play, buying it to trade for one you do like is a questionable strategy. IMHO you'd be better off buying one you do like.

5. Before you buy it, get some verification of the seller's claims. Get the serial number, factory order number, model number. Take a look at the label. Get professional estimates of the repair costs. Gibsons, despite their crazy serial number system (or systems), are among the best documented of vintage instruments. You should run little risk of being scammed by a phony "vintage" Gibson, if you take advantage of the information resources available.

barney 59
Sep-20-2011, 11:02pm
The pictures will help a lot. Many,many Gibson mandolins get attributed to being of a particular vintage and it turns out to be incorrect. many people that frequent this site can correctly date your instrument. Does this one have an inlayed pickguard? Where did the "1906" come from? A stamped date perhaps on a piece of hardware? A couple of years ago I would have said that any time that you find a vintage Gibson for under a $1000 your a fool if you don't buy it-- in practically any condition. I no longer think that but $6/700 you won't ever feel bad about spending that money on an old Gibson.

raycantu
Sep-21-2011, 5:37pm
O.K. i just took some pictures and I dont think its a 1906, I will try to up load some pictures in a bit.

raycantu
Sep-21-2011, 5:55pm
Here are some pictures:
Now the Ser # is 33513
And all it has is the letter A on the inside tag.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/flyrayfishing/photobucket-4102-1316645096831.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/flyrayfishing/photobucket-3800-1316645124220.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/flyrayfishing/photobucket-4426-1316645151130.jpg

Andrew B. Carlson
Sep-21-2011, 6:09pm
Headstock looks brand spankin new! Seems a bit fishy. Tail piece looks funny from here. Does it really say "The Gibson"?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-21-2011, 7:01pm
The headstock does look very shiny, but that could just be lighting. All the other features seem right, and nothing really jumps out that would make me dispute the authenticity. But then I have a pair of really untrained eyes :)

The serial number is from 1916/1917, and the look of the mandolin does conform to a pre-1918 A. If you paid $600 for it, then I'd say it's a steal. The pickguard clamp mechanism alone could fetch $100 or so on eBay. Does it have the original case also? If it does, that's another $100-$150 right there.

mrmando
Sep-21-2011, 7:27pm
Style A mandolins had plain headstocks. "The Gibson" script was added to this one later. It might have gotten a whole new headplate. 1906 is the patent date on the label, so it's very common for people to assume an old Gibson is from 1906 if they don't know any better ... that is, unless they happen to notice the 1911 patent date on the pickguard clamp. Did you get a photo of the crack?

barney 59
Sep-21-2011, 7:48pm
O heck buy the thing! So if it turns out that the "The Gibson" is an add-on so what! That is a pretty nice job if it is. That could be a total refinish. Collectors will tell you that that changes the value,another so what! Your not a collector are you? Probably most people with a plain A wish that theirs had the logo. That one does! Fix the back and you have a nice mandolin at a very reasonable price.

RayMan7
Sep-21-2011, 8:51pm
Probably most people with a plain A wish that theirs had the logo. .

So true! Was there a peticular year they brought the "The Gibson" on the headstock? Cause I`m getting an A like Ray`s (haha, my name too!) but doesnt say The Gibson on the head. It`s all shiny too, except for the cracked top, so nobody played it at all, everything else is mint, except the crack. So that could be what happened to this one too, nobody played it, cause of the crack, but luckily knew enough to keep it safe! By the way I`m getting mine for $475 shipped to Canada. :)

raycantu
Sep-21-2011, 10:24pm
yes the pick gaurd clamp did say PAT 1911, Thats one thing that gave it away that it was not a 1906...And it does have the original case which is in mint condition then their is a gig bag that the hard shell case goes in....I will take more pictures tomorow and post them up....

mrmando
Sep-21-2011, 11:23pm
So true! Was there a peticular year they brought the "The Gibson" on the headstock?
Style A mandolins never had "The Gibson" on the headstock ... not per the original factory specs, anyhow. That honor was reserved for higher-end models (A1, A2, A3, A4, A2Z).

barney 59
Sep-22-2011, 4:20am
Yes,even a "0" is higher than an "A"! The thing is, on most models in any given year ,there is almost no difference as to quality or playability, the differences are almost all in "bling" --OK an A4 is the exception and mine of course ----