PDA

View Full Version : 1974 mandolin (12 string mandriola?)

kbolk
Sep-15-2011, 6:46pm
Howdy all! I have a 12 string Mandolin, some might call it a madriola. I was wondering if any one could give me some info on it before I decide to get it repaired(it needs a bit of work on one of the joints)
The only partial label I can see on it through the sound hole says "Jezek 1974" , Thanks for any info that you may have on this paticular instrument.

Payit Forward
Sep-16-2011, 8:01pm
I have one just like that which was handed down from my German grandfather. I would guess that he bought it in the 1970s - maybe late 60's. He lived in the Swabian area of Germany (southern Germany) and would play it nightly at local establishments where everyone would sing along to the old folk songs.

Mine has the same (lacquered?) design around the sound hole, same bridge, tailpiece, and alternating strips of wood on the back. The purfling on mine looks slightly different. I believe the sides and neck are solid wood. The back appears to be glued up from strips of wood alternately stained; I'm not sure what species of wood. It has a rosewood fretboard with a zero fret.

The label in mine says GEWA which I think indicates the name of the company that made it. It also says "Miesterarbeit aus dem Geigenbauerort Mittenwald im Karwendel". Loosely translated that means master-built by luthiers in the village of Mittenwald in the Karwendel region of the Bavarian alps. Mittenwald has a long and respected history of violin making. I think this style of mandolin / mandriola was a pretty common product there at that time.

I have it strung as a mandolin, but someday I will add the octave to each of the courses. I think that will add a fuller sound.