baptist mando55
Sep-10-2011, 7:16pm
What ever happened to Dempsey Youngs Hutto

dcoventry
Sep-10-2011, 8:56pm
It's buried in Grant's Tomb.

Willie Poole
Sep-10-2011, 9:49pm
I believe it was offered for sale on here in the classifieds but some people thought it was just a feeler to see if the person selling it could find out how much it was worth...I never have heard about anyone buying it though...I sure would like to have it myself....

f5loar
Sep-10-2011, 10:05pm
Was it priced at $90,000 ? A bit much for a $10,000 F5 copy. At 90K you can your pick of the 20's Ferns out there.

re simmers
Sep-10-2011, 10:21pm
I sure would like to hear what that Hutto sounds like with someone other than Dempsey. The only mandolins that I ever heard that sounded better (to me) were 2 of Herschel's Loars that were consecutive numbers. Dempsey's Hutto had that big, deep sound that I love...........similar to my Buckeye.

I know the Gibs from the 20's are more valuable on the market, but, if it were just about sound and playability.........assuming it plays good,...........if money were no object, I would $90K and take Dempsey's Hutto, and practice Goofus and The Alley Cat Song.

Bob

Vernon Hughes
Sep-11-2011, 2:24am
I think I saw it for sale by his wife on the internet a little while back for 45,000.00

baptist mando55
Sep-11-2011, 7:27am
thats a pretty good return for his invesment. If i remember correctly he told me during a break at mineral springs music barn that he gave around 750 dollars for it that would have been late 70s.I dont think i have ever heard a better on. but i have never heard a bad Hutto Darrell Webbs is a killer.

mandobassman
Sep-11-2011, 7:51am
Was it priced at $90,000 ? A bit much for a $10,000 F5 copy. At 90K you can your pick of the 20's Ferns out there.

Just my opinion but I think that Hutto was better than most any Gibson I have ever heard. Maybe it was because it was in Dempsey's hands (after all, he got much the same sound out of his Dearstone), but that was the richest sounding mandolin I ever heard. If I was buying with investment in mind, I'd go with the Ferns, but if I was buying based solely on sound, I'd go with Hutto.

AlanN
Sep-11-2011, 8:14am
Great mandolin. Played it on the bus once or twice. And he played mine on-stage once. I miss that guy.

Bigtuna
Sep-11-2011, 8:18am
I may be wrong, but i want to say it was for sale at Smokey Mountain Guitars for something like 25k. I can't remember off the top of my head the story behind it, I do remember hearing Dempsey's name being mentioned as the salesman handed it to me. I remember it played nice and had a nice tone, but it wasn't my favorite mandolin there. Maybe it was the price tag that made it a little easy to put down.

Here is the one they had, I just found this pic.

http://www.smokymtguitars.com/assets/images/products/c163.1l.jpg

P.S. This was about a year ago.

Danny Clark
Sep-11-2011, 8:47am
it sold earlier this year to a private buyer ,he may chime in on this thread,he may want to remain private.

AlanN
Sep-11-2011, 9:07am
He had 2 Hutto mandolins. That one above is not what we're talking about, here:

mandobassman
Sep-11-2011, 11:33am
Is that mandolin above even made by Hutto? All of the Hutto mandolins I have seen (probably about 4) had "The Hutto" on the headstock.

baptist mando55
Sep-11-2011, 12:47pm
the one at smoky mountain guitars i believe was Huttos personal mandolin. Ive seen several with The Gibson on the Peghed I saw one at mabe the banjo peddler that had someting else. If someone can post a picture of Darrell Webbs i think it just has a small Hutto

Russ Jordan
Sep-11-2011, 12:48pm
You can see a pretty good shot of Dempsey's Hutto here--it had The Gibson on the headstock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiewiens/3456176587/

fredfrank
Sep-11-2011, 9:08pm
I saw Lost & Found about a year ago, and there was a young fellow by the name of Scott Napier playing with 'em. He was playing a Hutto, and not only did the mandolin sound a lot like Dempsey's, Scotty's playing also emulated Dempsey's style.

AlanN
Sep-12-2011, 6:32am
Scott was the logical choice for the mandolin chair in that band. Having gotten his pro start with Sparks at age 16, he has blossomed into an all-around great player. He has his own style, and pays homage to the master when the L&F performs some of their signature tunes. Pick up his solo CD if you get a chance, has some good playing and composing.

I was doing the door at last year's Burlington festival, the L&F was on the bill. As I was sitting there checking wrist bands, with mandolin out and noodling, he came over and we did the Dempsey. A small crowd formed as we ran through Goofus, Dem Golden Slippers, etc. We tried to out-D each other...I think he won :mandosmiley:

mandobassman
Sep-12-2011, 7:26am
" You can see a pretty good shot of Dempsey's Hutto here--it had The Gibson on the headstock:"

Dempsey played an actual Gibson before he had his Hutto, if I'm not mistaken. I think his best sound was from his Hutto. I first saw him perform after he started playing the Dearstone. It sounded great in his hands, but I would have loved to see him playing the Hutto. I did see Darrell Webb play his Hutto when he was with J. D. Crowe. It sounded unbelievable as well.

baptist mando55
Sep-12-2011, 7:59am
I also saw dempsey play guitar banjo and fiddle he could go pretty good on all of them.

Jeroen
Sep-12-2011, 8:58am
Dempsey Young's mandolin sound developed my taste for some extra oomph under the bite in a good f hole mandolin. More important, I have always deeply admired the creativity and fun he put in his playing. I'd be curious to play a few Huttos to hear and feel how much of Dempsey's sound can be attributed to his mandolin.

mandobassman
Sep-12-2011, 9:15am
Dempsey Young's mandolin sound developed my taste for some extra oomph under the bite in a good f hole mandolin. More important, I have always deeply admired the creativity and fun he put in his playing. I'd be curious to play a few Huttos to hear and feel how much of Dempsey's sound can be attributed to his mandolin.

Dempsey influenced my playing greatly and I would have to say that "creativity" and "fun" are the best way to describe his playing. When I saw him live I spent most of the night smiling. I have a fine recording of that night's performance with L&F and I listen to it often and have attempted to learn much of what he played. I still use some of his licks from time to time. I would venture to say that his technique was responsible for much of his tone. I have heard many Dearstone mandolins and, while they are fine mandolins, none of them had the punchy, low end warmth that I heard from Dempsey's.

baptist mando55
Sep-12-2011, 9:19am
never heard a average player play one everyone that i heard play a Hutto was a superior player Demsey Young,Scott Napier, Darrell Webb and a few more.I remember a quote by Curtis McPeak about players being able to pull tone. Certainly all of these can do that. but i guess thy could have played most any mandolin they wanted. but they chose a Hutto. I think even when Dempsey had the Dearstone he still Played the Hutto More

AlanN
Sep-12-2011, 9:23am
And to understand his technique a bit better, try to find his instructional video he put out in the mid 80's. You see it (and The Hutto) up close and personal, like his special way of sliding into chord voicings. Nobody does it like he did.

Scotti Adams
Sep-12-2011, 9:33am
Its good to see Dempsey getting talked up here. One of my favs....hell of a nice guy as well.

mandobassman
Sep-12-2011, 9:40am
I have a .wmv file of that video and, while the resolution is fairly low, I thought that was the Gibson he was playing.

Scotti Adams
Sep-12-2011, 10:03am
I have a .wmv file of that video and, while the resolution is fairly low, I thought that was the Gibson he was playing.

Nope..that would be his Hoss of a Hutto. Never heard a Gibby sound like that. Not throwing flames here at Gibby. Those who know...well..know.

AlanN
Sep-12-2011, 10:17am
Don't forget, many builders inlaid The Gibson back then.

baptist mando55
Sep-12-2011, 10:28am
Does anyone have a picture of Darrell Webbs Hutto?

Spruce
Sep-12-2011, 11:02am
Nope..that would be his Hoss of a Hutto. Never heard a Gibby sound like that. Not throwing flames here at Gibby. Those who know...well..know.

Any clips on YouToob or elsewhere you could link to?
Love to hear it in action....

Scotti Adams
Sep-12-2011, 11:11am
Pics of Darrels Hutto

Scotti Adams
Sep-12-2011, 11:18am
Any clips on YouToob or elsewhere you could link to?
Love to hear it in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JFS4mxi_o&feature=related

AlanN
Sep-12-2011, 11:27am
Regrettably, Dempsey's passing occurred just prior to the YouTube explosion, so there ain't much. Scotti linked to one of the very few vids out there.

Scotti Adams
Sep-12-2011, 11:48am
Regrettably, Dempsey's passing occurred just prior to the YouTube explosion, so there ain't much. Scotti linked to one of the very few vids out there.

And thats not a very good one. Ive played that mando yrs ago and to this day it stands out as one of those deserted island mandos. What I remember most besides the sound was it was a dream to play. If memory serves me..Dempsey told me that Gary Henderson had just done doing some set up work to it. When I handed him my Gil #8084 he said " Oh you have one of those high dollar manlins" We both laughed. I would have traded that Gil for that Hutto on the spot. Thats saying alot because that Gil also one of them deserted island mandos...just the other side of the island.

baptist mando55
Sep-12-2011, 12:34pm
What did the Huttos end up selling for new. Iam pretty sure Dempsey told me 750 dollars. I guess you can see from the trim the price probably varied. some ferns som flower pots and Darrells was plain ecept a small The Hutto.

Spruce
Sep-12-2011, 1:25pm
Ive played that mando yrs ago and to this day it stands out as one of those deserted island mandos.

That loud, eh? ;)

You can hear it a little better on this clip:

AlanN
Sep-12-2011, 1:36pm
Hadn't seen that one in a while, thanks for digging it up. Even there, you can hear the woof and bark. That was with Ronald Smith on banjo (new to the band) - or was it still Lynwood? - and Steve Wilson on guitar. Man.

msh_mando
Sep-12-2011, 2:39pm
There is an empty site (http://www.huttomandolin.zoomshare.com/) for information about Hutto mandolins. Does anyone know whats up with it? So far no pictures or other information. It would be cool to have a repository for Hutto info.

Spruce
Sep-12-2011, 3:19pm
Looking through my records, it seems that Mr. Hutto had a fondness for Engelmann spruce up until the mid-90's or so...
Anyone know whether any Red spruce appeared in his mandolins later on??
Just curious...

Vernon Hughes
Sep-12-2011, 7:04pm
I'll second the fine fellow post from above..He always took the time to show me a lick when asked..And loved to talk about anything but music!

Grassman
Sep-13-2011, 2:20am
Hadn't seen that one in a while, thanks for digging it up. Even there, you can hear the woof and bark. That was with Ronald Smith on banjo (new to the band) - or was it still Lynwood? - and Steve Wilson on guitar. Man.

That's Scotty Sparks - guitar, Ronald Smith - banjo

Scotti Adams
Sep-13-2011, 6:48am
That's Scotty Sparks - guitar, Ronald Smith - banjo

Thats not Scotty Sparks...that I know. Looks like Shayne Bartley

Jimmy Kittle
Sep-13-2011, 7:21am
I had the pleasure of running sound for L&F with Dempsey playing his Hutto, Dearstone and Gibson, also with Scott in the band and earlier this year for Darrel Webb. I have heard and mic'd a few Huttos over the years and all have been pretty consistant and have had that deep woody sound. And Demspsey could get that tone is spades. Pete Hart get's that tone from his Buckeyes and that is what convince me to buy one of his.

adizz
Sep-13-2011, 8:48am
I have a DVD copy of a public access show they used to do. Its about an hour of the lost and found at their best. The hutto stuck right in front of an sm 57 and it sounds incredible as does Dempsey's playing. Does anyone know if that waa a video the sold at shows or am I just lucky enough to have a copy someone recorded off the TV

baptist mando55
Sep-13-2011, 8:53am
Is there anybody who know how much the later ones sold for new ...PLEASE

AlanN
Sep-13-2011, 9:44am
I think I have the same video, albeit on VHS tape. Looks like it was recorded at a TV studio, Bubba Chandler was in the band and they do a song about a ship, Dempsey plays twin guitar with Gene Parker and they end with Dempsey's Ride. Is that the same one?

adizz
Sep-13-2011, 11:30am
That would be the one. The comnination of parker on banjo and dempsey on mandolin is hard to beat. They should really concider releasing that again, there wont be another Dempsey young. He was all smiles in that video.

Grassman
Sep-13-2011, 2:11pm
Thats not Scotty Sparks...that I know. Looks like Shayne Bartley

In this video posted its Scottie Sparks - guitar, Dempsey Young - mandolin, Ronald Smith - banjo, Alan Mills - bass. Absolutely positive on that.

Satchel
Sep-13-2011, 2:48pm

In this video posted its Scottie Sparks - guitar, Dempsey Young - mandolin, Ronald Smith - banjo, Alan Mills - bass. Absolutely positive on that.

Yep- that's Scottie Sparks

AlanN
Sep-13-2011, 5:34pm
Here's the man on one of the band's signature numbers. Camera work is shoddy, but you get the idea...

AlanN
Sep-14-2011, 6:37am
Dempsey on stage always reminded me of Jethro, another smiling wonder. Hard to fathom the inner turmoil he lived within.

Going through my L&F archive the past few days (I have virtually everything they ever did, including the first 3 records on the Outlet label, Gene Parker's solo record from 1980, live shows, etc.), I have a renewed admiration for Dempsey. His playing was unexpected, unique and very great. Nobody did it quite like he did. He had a way with chord voicings. He of course did the Monroe chop shape, but he also had this thing where he would slide into a shape, creating a very hip groove. He shows a little of that in his instruction tape (not too much...lol).

Andrew B. Carlson
Sep-16-2011, 9:43am
Here's another Hutto video. Only picks up the trebles really, but a good picker honoring the Hutto. I loved the "woof" coming out of the mandolin in that first video. Truly great instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6PgFVjgqsk

Brent Hutto
Sep-16-2011, 10:53am
You know it can't take a whole lot of effort to look like you're having fun up there. It's funny how few players do it and it's also funny just how big a difference it makes when someone like Mr. Young does...

baptist mando55
Sep-16-2011, 11:56am
Still no one knows what they sold for new????

Danny Clark
Sep-16-2011, 12:10pm
i am thinking 3500 or so,most of the later ones were sold in the white so they may have been cheaper.

Spruce
Sep-16-2011, 12:58pm
...most of the later ones were sold in the white so they may have been cheaper.

Interesting....
What's the story behind that??

Danny Clark
Sep-16-2011, 1:28pm
in the later days ,he either felt he could not put finish on like he had in the past or he maybe wanted to make all he could,i remember speaking to a man in Va several yrs ago that told me he had 3 in the white,

Russ Jordan
Sep-16-2011, 1:52pm
sometimes Hutto would tell the owner to play it in the white, and that he would finish it later. I have a friend who could never get his finished, and had to get someone else to do it.