PDA

View Full Version : New Newson Mandola coming my way soon

scapier
Sep-10-2011, 6:14pm
Thought folks would be interested. I should get it next week or so. Great guy to work with. :) Very excited!

Spencer

Bill Snyder
Sep-10-2011, 6:23pm
That is a good looking mandola. Every bit as nice as any f-style.

rico mando
Sep-10-2011, 7:11pm
luv to hear a sound clip when you get a chance . awesome looking mando .

Steve Sorensen
Sep-10-2011, 8:34pm
Wow, that is pretty. Love the finish color!
Steve

scapier
Sep-11-2011, 10:16am
I will get sound samples up when it arrives.

JEStanek
Sep-11-2011, 10:35am
Those Newson's are fine looking mandolins. Congrats!

Jamie

Don Grieser
Sep-11-2011, 10:59am
Love the color of the Indian corn next to it. Gorgeous.

mtk
Sep-11-2011, 6:12pm
Don't have a Newson mandolin, but I did have him do a complete re-fret and place a new nut on my Gibson. He did a great job, was fast, and charged a very fair price. He even called me about a week after he mailed it back to me just to see if I was satisfied.

Jim M.
Sep-11-2011, 10:00pm
That's a great looking instrument! I've played a Newson mandola and it was a hoss. I'm partial to my Newson F5 too.

scapier
Sep-11-2011, 11:28pm
How does Newson's F5 compare to other makers F5s Jim? Have you played many other high end f5s? Just curious as I might try to get him to build me one if this mandola works out like I think it will.

Jim M.
Sep-12-2011, 2:47pm
How does Newson's F5 compare to other makers F5s Jim? Have you played many other high end f5s? Just curious as I might try to get him to build me one if this mandola works out like I think it will.

I think Paul is a bit under the radar but his work is top tier. My first exposure was from a bandmate whose main axe was a Newson. Also, I live near a shop that sells Newsons so I've been able to try several. I've played a Loar, Monteleones, Gilchrists, Nuggets, Brentrups, Heidens, Michael Lewis -- no Dude's though. I think you'll be impressed enough by the mandola that you'll order an F5 too.

There are some pics of mine in this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?9037-Newson-Back-at-F5s&highlight=Newson

scapier
Sep-12-2011, 9:55pm
Wow, nice looking f5. Why is he so under the radar? Thanks for the info Jim.

scapier
Sep-18-2011, 10:53pm
Okay holy cow this is a great sounding and playing mandola! I promise to get mp3's up soon, but so far it's exceeded expectations. The C string needs a bit of tweaking as it's tad floppy (ideas for strings?) but it still thinks it's a tree and already sounds fantastic. I'd love suggestions for a good strap and an arm rest btw....

rico mando
Sep-18-2011, 11:06pm
hey scapier . just realized your from the other side of the pond , i am using jazzdola flatwounds on my newishly acquired eastwood dola . i find the C to be a little dull also , though not as surprising on an eastwood . i can not wait to hear your newson mp3 and fully expect to be in total envy .

scapier
Sep-20-2011, 10:16pm
Here is a good quality mp3 of the Newson Mandola. I was just noodling rather than playing a piece; just like you all would if you were trying it out for the first time. If interested, I used km184's through a pair of John Hardy M1 Preamps into a BLA modded Digi 002. The pick was a bluechip and the strings are semi flat d'addario's. There's a slight buzz coming off the machine heads and the C still needs some tweaking. It's a hoot to play. Scale is 15.75 I think.

Spencer

ps hey the mp3 came out as html. I'll try again.

scapier
Sep-20-2011, 10:23pm
okay I give up, how do I post an mp3?

rico mando
Sep-20-2011, 11:24pm
i got it as a download . great sounding mandola thanks for recording and posting

Bruce Clausen
Sep-21-2011, 1:31am
Nice sound, Spencer, and interesting playing too. Hope I'll get to hear you in person some time.

scapier
Sep-21-2011, 1:37am
Hey Bruce, you're local I see. What kind of music do you play?

Jonathan James
Sep-21-2011, 2:31am
Paul's work is indeed first rate. I've owned a couple of Newson F5s and an A5. His fit & finish are great, and his instruments have a consistent, outstanding tone. I think Paul is "under the radar" because he is more focused on being a luthier first and foremost, as opposed to the business aspects of building (marketing, PR, etc.). He is a humble guy, but I feel his work stands up to the best in the tier 1 builders.

Bruce Clausen
Sep-21-2011, 3:21pm
I've sent you a PM, Spencer.

Charlie Ayers
Sep-23-2011, 7:29am
I owned a Newson F5 that was custom-built for me. It was a fine mandolin in every way. Paul trained as a violin builder, and seems to approach each instrument as a unique undertaking. The finish he applies to maple achieves this incredible 3D sort of aspect, which is beautiful.

Charlie

Bill Van Liere
Sep-23-2011, 9:35pm
Paul makes a very mandolin indeed, my favorite A models are Brentrups and Newsons.

Jim M.
Sep-24-2011, 7:16pm
Looks great; sounds wonderful! Did you order your F5 yet? :grin:

scapier
Sep-25-2011, 11:19pm
I haven't ordered the F5 yet, as the divorce wouldbe filed right after the downpayment. Just kidding. I hope to do so in the next few years though. really stellar mandola, I can't stop playing it.

mtk
Oct-09-2011, 12:10pm
I think Paul Hoffman in Greensky Bluegrass played/plays a Newson F5.