PDA

View Full Version : double point on Ebay

jim simpson
Sep-08-2011, 3:36pm
Here is a double point, Shutt (sp?) design for sale. It looks like a rodent found the f-hole tasty. I've always like this particular design out of all of the double points I've seen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dual-point-Mandolin-/140600971265?_trksid=p5197.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26otn%3D8%26po%3DLCA%26p s%3D63%26clkid%3D2642352572132348954&autorefresh=true

mrmando
Sep-08-2011, 4:33pm
These were Shutt copies made by Harmony.

allenhopkins
Sep-08-2011, 8:03pm
Went for $169, which would be a bargain if it's playable, even if it's a Shutt-copy Harmony.

jim simpson
Sep-09-2011, 10:48am
I pulled the trigger on this one, I couldn't resist. I put my best bid in before going out for a band practice. I got it below my max limit. I'll have to report on it after I receive it.

MandoSquirrel
Sep-09-2011, 6:51pm
I wonder if the F hole damage is from a pickup haviong been installed & removed?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-09-2011, 10:18pm
Congrats Jim. I was also drawn to this one as well but decided against it because of the f-hole crack. Felt like I should concentrate on the projects mandolin I do have instead of the one I dont :)

Hope to hear a detailed review once you have it in your hands.

jim simpson
Sep-09-2011, 11:30pm
I believe the f-hole damage was listed as being done by a rat. Perhaps I could leave a rat's tail inside instead of a snake's rattle.

I wish there weren't top cracks but It does look like the neck is solid to the body.

I will post a review (hopefully a positive one!)

Thanks all.

woodwizard
Sep-10-2011, 12:01am
Way to go Jim...do let us know what you think when you get it. Getting any mandolin is kinda exciting aint it?

jim simpson
Sep-12-2011, 11:49pm
Well, the mandolin arrived today at work. It was mostly in tune out of the box. It played easily and sounded good. I don't think it will replace my Daley but it's a different animal. There is movement from the long crack that goes from the bridge to the tail end. I should be able to cleat this. I noticed that the bridge wasn't seated too well to the top. It was then that I noticed the threaded screws were sticking out at the bottom thus digging into the top. I believe the pressure from one the studs may have caused the crack as it is so close. The action seems fine with the bridge as it is. This bridge looks to be non-original plus the wheels have been removed. Too bad they didn't cut the threads shorter. I'm really pleased with the sound, playability, and prospect of the project to address the issues with it.

jim simpson
Sep-12-2011, 11:52pm
I wanted to add that the photo of the back of the neck shows that it was well played but the frets are in great shape. I thought it looked good hanging in my shop next to a recently restored archtop (an Audition sold through Woolworths).

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-13-2011, 1:34am
Jim - glad it turned out to be a worthy acquisition. If you do end up putting some work into it, I'm sure we all would love to see the mandolin in its new glory. Congrats again.