PDA

View Full Version : Basic mutitrack recording gear w/ capacity

catmandu2
Sep-03-2011, 8:22pm
I'm interested in orchestration and so need something with some capacity. I have some experience with basic decks like the old Teac reels. However, one of the real limitations of the portable digital decks I've used is storage capacity.

What are folks using and/or recommendations? Thanks

Don Grieser
Sep-04-2011, 11:51am
If you need lots of capacity, you could go to a computer based system. Just add another hard drive for more storage. Most portable digital decks only give you 2 inputs at a time. There are a few that will do 8 inputs at a time like the Boss BR1600, but they pale compared to a computer based system for editing, recording capacity, variety of plugins, etc. Unless you find one used for cheap, you'd be better off getting a good computer DAW, IMHO.

I'm on an older MacBook Pro, can record 8 tracks at 24/44.1 to my internal drive for a couple hour live show without a hiccup. Reaper is an inexpensive DAW with amazing capabilities. I use it and Logic Express 8 now, depending on what I'm doing. Hope that helps.

catmandu2
Sep-04-2011, 12:16pm
Yes, thanks Don. Yep, no doubt the PC or mac is the way to go. And it's what I'll have to do ultimately to enable what I'm needing. I've been doing some session work for others with these computer-based systems, and they are great. The reason I haven't done my own projects yet is because I lack the recording means. But I've decided to make the transition to my own projects rather than playing on other people's sessions. So I'll have to spring I guess.

I was hoping to find somehting portable in the meanwhile--until I can get everything set up: something to compile pieces that I have stored on various media and my synth sequencers. But it probably makes more sense to get the storage now before I diffuse any more media. Thanks for the input--much appreciated.

almeriastrings
Sep-04-2011, 12:16pm
Macbook Pro + Apogee Ensemble + Logic Studio 9.1 + Frontier Alphatrack DAW controller + Dynaudio monitors.

Rock solid, excellent system. Sounds just great across the board. The Alphatrack controller is compact, and works extremely well. Full automation.

rico mando
Sep-04-2011, 12:27pm
Most porta studios are able to connect to a computer these days . so i do not know what you are looking for as far as inputs and immediate storage capability . but you can transfer your files to your computer . the tascam dp-02 that i have will store files on my computer or a cd but it does it in a format that only my tascam will read . i have to master files into a wave format if i want it to play on my computer or if i want to send it to the sound engineer . this adds time to the process . my tascam has a 40 GB hard drive and can burn rewriteable cd as storage also .

Jim
Sep-04-2011, 1:24pm
I use a Fostex 8trk Flash memory system for most recording these days though I also use an older Roland 1824 cd. For ease of use its hard to beat the Fostex the Roland is nice for situations where you need more than 2 mics at a time. Fostex will export to a PC ( Mac too I think) via USB and The Roland burns CDs. I found the learning curve a bit long on the Roland but it is a very powerful work station. The Fostex is a bit limitted on functions but easy and fun to use. Flash memory is cheap and available efectively making the fostex storage unlimitted.

catmandu2
Sep-04-2011, 7:18pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll have to look into a few portable units. If they have pc/mac interface, that should be good. Seems to me the last one I used was supposed to do this, but I never got the upload down. With some of these small units with a plethora of multi-function buttons, the learning curve is pretty steep. I like to spend my time pressing musical instruments--my technological chops suffer as a result.

~:>

J.Albert
Sep-04-2011, 10:10pm
"I'm interested in orchestration and so need something with some capacity."

Important question (before going further):
How many simultaneous input channels do you want?
Would that be, two, four, eight, or more (gets expensive!)

Also, the _next_ question is:
What kind of computer will you be using this with?

And...
Realistically, do you have a "spending limit"? :)

I'd suggest a Mac as your platform, and firewire as your connection method between the Mac and interface.

- John