PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Mandos, 4 strings

pelone
Aug-28-2011, 3:11pm
Just finished builds #10 and #11--have been distributing them to daughters, sons and grandchildren. The backs are from a piece of Caoba (mahogany) that I brought back from Mexico. I enjoy the shimmering "tiger-eye" in them. I adapted plans from a Martin uke, enlarged by 10% that resulted in a 15 inch scale. Thought that the outline/profile was too slim, so widened the shape to give it more of a guitar look. Nice volume, and the tone is not too uke like. The necks allow small hands to chord more easily. Some of my off-spring prefer to tune them as a mando while others are content to keep to uke. Used Grover tuners and modified tailpieces to fit metal strings.

Ed Goist
Aug-28-2011, 3:47pm
Very cool and attractive instruments.
Congratulations!
I recently posted that I thought an acoustic 4-string mandolin would be a great first instrument choice for a new, young player. You beat me to it! :)
Do you sell these?
Those backs are spectacular!

Tavy
Aug-29-2011, 3:05am
Nice, love those backs!

pelone
Aug-29-2011, 4:22pm
Thanks Ed and Tavy---The backs came out nicely and show the deep red of the old mahogany. The piece that I scored had been sitting in my gardener's garage in Baja for over twenty years so I am pretty sure that it had dried sufficiently. I cut the 8 by 6" by 2" piece in half and brought it through on the flight back with my luggage. The fret board and bridge on one is padauk and the other is Black locust which has a nice yellow glow to it. I started two more and now feel confident enough to put binding on the front and back of each. Have not tried to sell any as then it might be too much of a job rather than the joy of building.

NMOY
Sep-13-2011, 7:15pm
These are beautiful! I lust for a 4 string acoustic Mandola :)

Jake Wildwood
Sep-13-2011, 7:28pm
Very nice! These remind me a lot of the Columbia brand ukes made back in the 20s, especially the 3-piece neck. I like!

Verne Andru
Sep-27-2011, 7:54pm
Sweet!