PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a Mandolin

Anand
Feb-18-2004, 2:47am
Hi,

I am interested in learning to play Mandolin. I want to buy a new Mandolin with a hard case. I am planning to invest around $200-250 for both included.

Can anyone suggest me a nice model to start off with?

Thanks and Regards,
Andy

Ajvessey
Feb-18-2004, 3:10am
Well I can't speak from experience because I haven't tried any mandos in that price range, however I've been looking around because I want to upgrade to something in that price range, give or take. You can get a Kentucky of some sort for around that range, and they have at least a solid top and all models have adjustable truss rods. For that amount you could get the KM 250 I think, which is an all solid mando, and probably a case for 250, not including shipping. Look around on Folk of the Wood, because they have a 100% trade up policy so you can trade up for a better mando when the time comes.

You can probably find some good deals on used mandos if you keep an eye open though. Occasionally Mid Missouri's and nicer Kentuckys show up on Ebay for around that price, although they usually go for a bit more.

mandolinquent
Feb-18-2004, 3:50am
I was on a road trip with my husband not quite 2 weeks ago (were we on our way to see Ben of BRW mandos) when we passed a small music store in a little town here in Ohio. I asked my husband to pull over and I went inside. They didnt have much- mostly guitars. However, they did have a Kentucky A-style mando. I'm not real familiar with Kentuckys, so I dont know the model. I was really impressed! It sounded pretty good and for only $200! I was the only girl in the store, but the guys were super nice to me and we jammed for a little bit. The owner was playing a much more expensive mando that I thought didnt even come close to the Kentucky (BTW the owner agreed). If I wasnt in the process of buying a more expensive F-style, I woulda laid $200 down that day and used it as a travel mando.

KevinM
Feb-18-2004, 12:54pm
Mid-Missouri or a Weber Y2K.

Feb-18-2004, 12:56pm
Keven; $250 won't buy either of those....

Lee
Feb-18-2004, 1:03pm
My first mandolin was an Epiphone MM-30. This should fall in your price range. All the ones I've seen have been consistently sturdy, good attention to detail, good fretwork.

FrankenMouse
Feb-18-2004, 1:47pm
There's a Mid Mo in the classifieds, just reduced to $275 including gig bag and some instructional materials. Sounds like a great start to me!

Greenmando
Feb-18-2004, 5:04pm
I have a MM30 with a electric pickup in the classifieds in that price range.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif