PDA

View Full Version : Duff F5

Grommet
Aug-25-2011, 1:11am
This http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=50307&query=retrieval
has to be the most mojo per peso I've seen. Paul's F5s were sellling for 8400-8500 in 2009. Would love to been first to slap leather on that'un. Could be a typo though?

Scott

Mike Snyder
Aug-25-2011, 2:03am
It was a very early build and frankly didn't appear to be cleanly done. Could be a hoss or a clinker. I suppose all builders have one or two out there that went out the door less than perfect. My own has finish flaws and an anomoly or two, but the sound and playability are there. If the Duff sounds good someone got a deal.

Mike Romkey
Aug-25-2011, 4:43pm
Duff cognoscenti say Paul really hit his stride ... I can't remember the date, 2007 or '08? Mike Compton described it as a "walking through some kind of door" breakthrough. As said above, this one could be a great deal, but his more recent builds are said to be the real deal. I'll let you know when mine gets here; I ordered a new one a week or two back.

jonwints
Sep-28-2011, 2:35am
My 2010, Duff F5, one-piece back with a fern peghead sleeps on my wall next to my bed. I think it's looks beautiful in the morning light. I try to play on it each day before breakfast. I think it's a calming way to start the day.The instrument sings so perfectly.
Of course my partner is jealous, but she knows I still love her the most and that it's not a really competition. How could a man love his mandolin more than his partner I ask? What a foolish question!

mandotool
Sep-28-2011, 10:51am
I had a go on a recent Duff F5 (8/11 vintage ..it was 3 weeks old)..
absolute monster right out of the box..and a stunning thing to behold..
One can only imagine what years of properly measured abuse will yield?
I want.need.must have one immediately..and that will be it ...

Brian Ray
Sep-28-2011, 11:05am
Paul's door opened late 2006. His stuff is the stuff!

Nelson Peddycoart
Sep-28-2011, 11:14am
The Duff that Tom Quinn references is mine and I agree with his assessment. It is a joy to play and to listen to.

John Gardinsky
Sep-28-2011, 11:19am
Tom, you gonna sell me that Gil when you go for a Duff? Great seeing you in Owensboro.

sgarrity
Sep-28-2011, 7:30pm
Playing Nelson's Duff gave me a serious case of scroll fever. I'm valiantly resisting the urge but a Duff will probably be the next one I add to the stable. They are a LOT of mandolin for the money. He's got a great traditional look and feel to his instruments, not to mention the tone. Definitely the total package!

blauserk
Sep-29-2011, 12:42pm
Playing Nelson's Duff gave me a serious case of scroll fever.

Shaun, did you play the Duff at Gruhn during your recent visit? The price seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting.

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/MF8009.jpg

sgarrity
Sep-29-2011, 1:26pm
No I didn't. An F5 and H5 had just arrived when we got there and they weren't unpacked yet. The H5 only lasted about 2 days on the website. They are definitely a lot of bang for the buck!

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-30-2011, 5:52am
... and no soundclips/videos yet. I am a little disappointed.

strings777
Sep-30-2011, 10:50am
I was thoroughly impressed with the sound of his A5's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGs8NrllHI

:mandosmiley:

banjoboy
Sep-30-2011, 11:13am
Shaun, did you play the Duff at Gruhn during your recent visit? The price seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting.

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/MF8009.jpg

I got to play the F5 mandolin. I went down to the Monroe camp this year. I arrived in Nashville a few days early and went to Gruhns. They didn't have any Duff mandos at that time. I then went to camp, and Paul was there. He told me that Gruhns just got a mando and mandola in and that they weren't displayed yet cause they were processing the paperwork attesting to the fact that Paul hadn't used any illegal woods. After camp, on that Monday, I went back to Gruhns. Still no Duff. I asked the sales staff and they said they were still processing the instruments, but they pulled the mando our for me and I got to play it for about thirty minutes. I'd heard that Paul turned a corner in his instruments. I've played a few Duffs before. I'd have to agree, he's getter better and better at his craft.

Don Grieser
Sep-30-2011, 12:58pm
That A model has the stuff, doesn't it?

blauserk
Sep-30-2011, 1:10pm
That A model has the stuff, don't it?

You are not kidding.

Mark Seale
Oct-01-2011, 7:02pm
Tom, you gonna sell me that Gil when you go for a Duff? Great seeing you in Owensboro.

Sorry John, I've got dibs... :)

John Gardinsky
Oct-01-2011, 8:55pm
:(

mandotool
Oct-03-2011, 11:27am
sorry lads...there'll be no parting with that one....thats jus plain crazytalk..

as for Owensboro this year ...it was over the top...words fail me.
I was just proud to be there..