PDA

View Full Version : Band-in-a Box

SMH
Aug-22-2011, 4:42pm
I am considering buying this software, but I would like to hear the pro's and con's from people who have used it.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

Sean
:confused:

SincereCorgi
Aug-23-2011, 4:43am
Well, as an Apple user, I can say that the PC version seems to have a ton more features. It's kind of a weird program so the learning curve is pretty steep if you want to do anything besides fairly basic songs– it feels like they just piled on features over the years one by one so that by now it's just this giant mass of buttons and icons. It seems like a fairly powerful piece of software in need of a redesign to clean up the usability. (A lot of composition programs are like that, too.)

Having said that, it is pretty easy to enter basic songs, and to transpose them or whatever once they're entered. Getting it to do tunes with time changes and irregular measures is not that intuitive, and it can feel somewhat limited in the different styles available, although many of their new 'real tracks' are admittedly excellent. It is, I would say, mostly geared toward very swingy jazz, although there are a few quite good bluegrass and blues and rock styles. It can be frustrating when you want to find a really genre-generic vamping piano style but everything seems designed to be computer-generated Cedar Walton.

Unfortunately, I just don't use it as much as I thought I would; most of what I want I can get from a metronome.

yankees1
Aug-23-2011, 7:18am
I use this program and I feel it is very easy to setup and use and very worhwhile !It has definitely helped me with my timing.

jeffo
Aug-23-2011, 8:51am
I've been using Band In a Box for at least a decade. I barely use any of the features, but what I use, I use a lot. Years ago I used it a lot for jazz--now that I started mandolin, I've been practicing bluegrass and old time tunes. You can enter a song in and pick a style and tempo. That usually takes under 5 minutes. Then you're all set--practice the melody, the chords, solos. If you want to transpose or play in a different style or tempo--it's just a few clicks. It's basic features alone are worth the price of the software. I've also used it for some arranging and composing projects. I've probably used about 5% of the functionality.

montana
Aug-23-2011, 11:46am
I think it is the best software to learn to play. Also I don't think the learning curve is steep at all. You'll be jamming in no time. You get to pick the songs and the banjo player doesn't get drunk.

Pete Martin
Aug-23-2011, 11:49am
The best music investment I've made. Been using it since it first came out. A must for practicing improvisation.

PG Music is one of the best companies I've ever dealt with as well, from the sales to the help. They have a great forum, a lot of folks that answer any questions.

I'd definitely recommend getting the Real Tracks for what ever style you want to practice.

"Umm, fish?"
Aug-23-2011, 6:58pm
It really is great software, but the setup in the program is really idiosyncratic. I've found it difficult to do things in it until I track down a tutorial that tells me exactly what to do. And ... I'm really good with software. BiB just has a ton of features and hides them away in weird places.

But ... I love it anyway.

swampy
Aug-23-2011, 7:14pm
I loved it and sadly, I lost it when my computer crashed a few months back. I too didn't use any of the features. I just plugged in fiddle tunes and song chord progressions and had instant backup on every song I was learning. It took all of 2 minutes to add a new song and it was like a metronome and then some. I miss it dearly, but I can't afford to replace it for a while.

Jean Fugal
Aug-26-2011, 5:34pm
If anyone on a mac is looking for a Band in A Box this is a goodun, New is $129 or so ....
don't pay too much LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290603295005&category=41786&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_500wt_1413