PDA

View Full Version : info? please?

new mando mom
Feb-18-2004, 1:02am
Hey all!
I'm looking for some help. #I don't play the mandolin but I just bought one for my 13 year old son. #Does anyone have any suggestions as to where he should begin? #He's never played a stringed instrument and right now I can't afford lessons for him. #He's been playing the trombone for a couple of years so he can read music pretty well. #Any thoughts on a particular book or dvd we could get that would help him out, or any other ideas that might set him on the right path? Anything would be appreciated, because until we get the trombone paid off (September), he's pretty much on his own.
Thanks!
Andrea
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif<<-- #My kid, in a couple of months!

Bluemando
Feb-18-2004, 2:13am
There are a lot of good books and videos that will surely help him get started. If he can read music, hes off to a great start already. I would think that the new book that is out by John McGann would be a great start. It will get him going on some pretty cool tunes, while teaching him some basic techniques at the same time.

Bluemando
Feb-18-2004, 2:19am
Oh I almost forgot, you can check it out at his website (http://www.johnmcgann.com)

Ajvessey
Feb-18-2004, 3:24am
I hear the Chris Thile DVD is a great way to learn, although I don't have any experience with it.

Arto
Feb-18-2004, 4:58am
Chris Thile DVD is very good, but it is not for absolute beginners. There are a lot of videos/dvd´s for beginners around, one good place to look at is Homespun Tapes. (http://www.homespuntapes.com/)

best of luck for your son,
Arto

bluegrassjack2
Feb-18-2004, 8:29am
Get the Murphy Henry beginners video. It's great

John Flynn
Feb-18-2004, 8:33am
Some lessons with a good instructor is the best way to start, IMHO.

jeffshuniak
Feb-18-2004, 8:36am
if your son likes classical music, there is a mel bay book "cantabile" that has some easy transcriptions, easy to read mostly. it is available at elderly instruments, many other places too. he has to learn a new clef, but thats no problem I am sure. (also you can find midis of most of these pieces at the "classical music archive" online. )

for actual mandolin technique, one of the other books mentioned, or videos, will be fine. #you may want to get a few things.

Coy Wylie
Feb-18-2004, 9:15am
If your son wants to play bluegrass, the homespun site listed above has Sam Bush's learning the Bluegrass mandolin. It is a book with notation and tab and six CDs. It is paced for a beginner. His DVD series are for advanced beginner/intermediate.

Frank Russell
Feb-18-2004, 10:26am
bluegrassjack2 is right. The Murphy Method Beginner tape is hands down the most accessible and beginner-friendly mando instruction I've seen, out of many. If I had a kid learning to play, that's what I would use. Frank

Eric F.
Feb-18-2004, 10:28am
Simon Mayor's The Mandolin Tutor, book, CD and video would be a nice start. Very basic, but he gets you playing quickly and does get into some more challenging pieces toward the end. He is also funny, and is a pleasure to listen to.

I would avoid the Thile DVD for a beginner, and my understanding of the Murphy Method is that it is for people who don't read standard notation.

LilCreekster
Feb-18-2004, 11:31am
While it's certainly true that Chris Thiles Video is not a complete beginners set (with beginner songs progressing to harder ones, with learning double stops & chords & tremelo, slides, hammer ons, pull offs and all that basic stuff)

BUT... as a supplement it's invaluable. #What is DOES do is teach excellent technique as far as holding the pick, and using your fret and pick hands. #And the scales & arpeggios are excellent. #Both these areas seem to be not covered well (if at all) in many "beginner" books/videos.

I think that a combination of a good starter set (like the Mandolin Primer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1893907333/qid=1077121741//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i12_xgl14/002-8617030-1408056?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)) with Chris Thile's DVD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006G2TO/qid=1077121817//ref=pd_ka_3/002-8617030-1408056?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846) is a good place to start.

There are techniques and material that will be too advanced for him on that DVD, but it will be there when he's ready... and using the basic techniques on there can get him on the right track and get him building good habits that will serve him well in the long run.

grsnovi
Feb-18-2004, 12:36pm
The trick is always to find inspiration.

Having a particular player, or style of music will help a lot with that.

For a young player, there could be a strong "identity" bond with Thile.

Attempting to learn a new instrument with no lessons and no strong affinity to a musical "type" or style would be difficult (I think).

Christine W
Feb-18-2004, 12:48pm
I second the mandolin primer by Bert Casey it's excellent for begginers and a must. I also own the Chris Thile dvd #and it has basic stuff in it and more complicated things so it stays challenging for a long time.

I think it's awesome you are doing this for him There is nothing like a supportive family!! KUdos to you.

Dru Lee Parsec
Feb-18-2004, 12:59pm
Once again, the Bert Casey book "Mandolin Primer" gets my vote.

Something that will really push his skill level as well as his enjoyment of music is if he has friends that play. If you can find a local bluegrass jam and he can play G, C, and D chords then he can sit in and strum along. Playing with other people, even if you're just playing Yankee Doodle, is so much fun that he'll find his own encouragement to practice.

Lee
Feb-18-2004, 1:00pm
Folk of the Wood will probably give you for free Mickey Cochrans "Beginning Mandolin" VCR if you buy a mandolin from them. Probably a strap and a few picks and a set of strings too. Ask and you may receive.

new mando mom
Feb-19-2004, 8:20am
Wow! So many ideas! I've got these all written down and will do some research tonight. Thank you, everyone.
Andrea