PDA

View Full Version : My new gibson and my 'old' breedlove

hogrider
Aug-20-2011, 9:07am
I just recieved my new Gibson F-9 Master Model yesterday and it is amazingly similar to my old (2 yrs) breedlove in appearance only. What a differnt sound and ease of play especially for an absolute beginner such as myself.

Ed Goist
Aug-20-2011, 9:20am
Congratulations! Those are two beautiful mandolins.
I like the increased hint of yellow in the heart of the Gibson's burst. Nice!
Tell us about the sound and playability differences.
Again, congratulations...Great mandolins!

Miked
Aug-20-2011, 10:18am
Congratulations! I'm sure your F-9 will provide a lot of enjoyment!

woodwizard
Aug-20-2011, 11:09am
Nice one ! enjoy !

DerTiefster
Aug-20-2011, 11:08pm
One of the most entertaining and illuminating things I've done with respect to mandolin instruments is to try out a few side-by-side. I looked for a "mandotasting" near me and found one in 2009, attended its annual repeat in 2010, and I'm looking forward to another this year. Norfolk, VA, area. In between times, I've tried a few mandolins of different styles (but much more moderate cost than the F9). I've found that I can't really use more mandolin than I already have. If I hold a better instrument, it sounds the same in my hands. Well, mandolins, anyway. The mandolas I've had the good fortune to experience have much more sustain and ring out more clearly than the mandolins do (even in -my- hands). But that's also part of the education and fascination. Seek out a local mandotasting.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-20-2011, 11:58pm
Beautiful looking F-9 -- congrats. Good purchase I'd say -- hard beat for a reasonably priced American mandolin. Great looks, classic sound and fine value with near certain resale if you should choose to go that way or upgrade later. I know you'll really like it -- now you have your own piece of that Gibson 100 year plus mandolin heritage! That Breedlove looks nice too.