PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Budget Models

dustyamps
Aug-20-2011, 12:31am
Here is a pair of budget models made by Gibson in the 1930's. A Gibson A-00 and a Kalamazoo KM-11. While these were budget models, they both have quality workmanship and good necks that play accurate. These don't ring out and sustain like the other A models but they still play and sound good. I consider these of value for a beginning player or a great second voice.75467

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-20-2011, 1:01am
I can't agree more. I've been hankering for a Kalamazoo oval or f hole after hearing so much about them. Great looking pairs you got - BTW is the A-00 a flat or carved top? I don't think I've seen one with a pickguard like that.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-20-2011, 1:16am
Ah.. just looked it up - carved top and flat back, and a glued on pickguard. Looks like oval hole was only available in '33, with the introduction of the f hole models in '34. And I also stand corrected about not having seen one with that particular pickguard: There was one on eBay not long ago that has one as well. Very nice pair - just love how they look together side by side. I'm sure they sound wonderful as well.

dustyamps
Aug-20-2011, 10:12pm
Hey barrangatan, this A-00 was likely the one you saw recently on ebay as that is where I just bought it from. I was real curious how this carved top, flat back A-00 would sound. I installed a set of StewMac vintage style tuners, a bone nut and shaped this ebony bridge since the original was missing... and I knew it would look good with the Kalamazoo. Grateful to have the pair.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-21-2011, 8:59am
What a great looking pair of mandolins -- they really compliment each other I think! Amazing how well the sunbursts match up --they could have been made from the same piece of spruce and stained by the same guy the same day! Likewise the celluloid pickguards.

As you look at the construction do you see anywhere obvious that they "cut corners" for the bargain brand Kalamazoo versus the Gibson? I assume the fingerboard is rosewood on the Gibson as well? I guess the Orville Gibson mustache at top of the headstock was "extra"! Either that or they cut it off at the end to lower the status of the Kal! :)

fatt-dad
Aug-21-2011, 9:46am
Here's a pair of Gibson budget models.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/uploads/post-15-60597-gibamazoo_small.jpg

I've since sold the Kalamazoo, but keep the Gibson as my favorite guitar. I just preferred my Flatiron pancake to my old Kalamazoo.

f-d

Bernie Daniel
Aug-21-2011, 10:50am
Here's a pair of Gibson budget models.

image deleted

I've since sold the Kalamazoo, but keep the Gibson as my favorite guitar. I just preferred my Flatiron pancake to my old Kalamazoo.

f-d

Lovely! They must have had 10,000 gallons of those stains and many square miles of the celluloid! What model is that Gibson its not an L-00 is it? The body shape is like an SJ-100 but its older than that....

P.S. Opps just realized it must be the L-1 from your signature line!!! But I thought they were smaller and more dreadnought shaped -- not jumbo?

fatt-dad
Aug-21-2011, 1:04pm
my old Gibson (http://home.comcast.net/~fatt-dad/l-00.html) is a 12-fret L-1, likely from 1930. It is just about 14 inches at the lower bout and short scale.

f-d

Bernie Daniel
Aug-21-2011, 3:31pm
my old Gibson (http://home.comcast.net/~fatt-dad/l-00.html) is a 12-fret L-1, likely from 1930. It is just about 14 inches at the lower bout and short scale.f-d

Ok thanks. Well if even George Gruhn is not sure I feel better about being confused -- sure has some major league distressing -- just mo-jo now. But I wonder how it got scarred up by the 14 to 16th frets? Isn't that an odd place to strum that hard?

fatt-dad
Aug-21-2011, 4:03pm
I made all the injury. Church retreat and I was strumming too hard (leading 50 folks or so in hymn singing). It really doesn't look as bad as some photos show. They are there though, but have no affect on resale. I'm not selling this guitar!

f-d

Bernie Daniel
Aug-21-2011, 6:58pm
Certainly looks like you have it pegged. I have a Gibson "budget" guitar too. A 1935 TG-0. It has a very similar size box, (14 5/8" lower bout) but a slightly different shape (less "hourglass"), with 14 frets clear of body, medium sunburst, white pins, white tuners, amber tortoise pick guard, & fret markers the same places.

MandoSquirrel
Aug-21-2011, 7:13pm
I can't agree more. I've been hankering for a Kalamazoo oval or f hole after hearing so much about them. Great looking pairs you got - BTW is the A-00 a flat or carved top? I don't think I've seen one with a pickguard like that.

Local store has(or had) a Kalamazoo F holer, with the stain stripped off & refinished natural. It plays nice & sounds good, but when I stopped by thinking to put a deposit down, I found he had a Kay that played & sounded even better, for about a third of the money, so I bought that, instead. Still, Kalamazoos are excellent values.