PDA

View Full Version : What do Famous Musicians Recommend about Practicing?

JonZ
Aug-19-2011, 6:09pm
It would be interesting to start a list of direct quotes from famous musicians (any instrument) about how to practice. The list would not have to be just household names. It could include musicians recognized by other musicians for their technique.

Quotes could be text or media clips.

Mike Bunting
Aug-19-2011, 6:32pm
http://www.howtopractice.com/quotes/

Crabgrass
Aug-19-2011, 6:41pm
I like this one.

Never ever practice. Always perform.
— Dave Martin

I think he means to put as much effort and heart into practice as you would if you were performing before an audience. Hmmmm

Miss Lonelyhearts
Aug-20-2011, 12:45am
As a music coach, I have quotes about playing and practicing all over my studio walls. One of my favorites that resonates with a lot of players is from Dan Crary: "I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal."

Wynton Marsalis has this to say:

12 rules of practicing

Seek out private instruction. It could take years to figure out what a good teacher could show you quickly.
Write/work out a regular practice schedule. Always include the fundamentals.
Set realistic goals. Chart your development.
Concentrate when practicing. Don't just "go through the motions".
Relax and practice slowly.
Practice what you can't play - the hard parts.
Always play with maximum expression. Play as if you are singing it.
Learn from your mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Don't show off. Expression, not tricks or gimmicks.
Think for yourself. Respect your teacher, but think things through for yourself.
Be optimistic. There is nothing worse than pessimism coming out of an instrument.
Look for connections between your music and other things. Try to find concepts or ideas that connect with each other.

Then there's the old adage, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

JonZ
Aug-20-2011, 11:08am
That howtopractice site is a little misleading. Seems more heavy on aphorisms, some pithy, than recommendations.

I like the Wynton Marsalis suggestions. They are very down to earth and practical.

mandolino maximus
Aug-23-2011, 11:57am
Chris Thile said that the metronome was his friend. So does my instructor, but he doesn't count.

Brent Hutto
Aug-23-2011, 12:04pm
The great pianist Rudolf Serkin famously said "All I did was practice, practice, practice" as a summary of his career.

I took that to mean if the only thing that matters to you is practicing and getting better, the performance results will take care of themselves.

Not a musician but the Cheshire Cat rightly pointed out that if you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

JeffD
Aug-23-2011, 4:08pm
Johann Sebastian Bach said:

"Bring me a bowl of coffee before I turn into a goat."

JonZ
Aug-24-2011, 10:08am
That Johann, what a corker!

Elliesdad
Mar-10-2023, 4:09am
Hi. This is an old thread but it's a good question that is still relevant. I got the audiobook of "The practice of practice," which is repeatedly lauded on this site, and listened to the book the whole way through in one session. It was a great book, and also the very first audiobook I have ever completed. There are tons and tons of these quotes on practice by famous musicians as well as endless good advice on what practice is, what it does, how to do it and how not to do it. If you find it hard to sit down and read a book, get the Audible version and put in your earbuds. You won't be disappointed.

Toni Schula
Mar-10-2023, 5:50am
Tomo Fujita has ton's of good advice on his YT channel. Focuses on guitar, much is useful for mandolin as well.

https://youtube.com/@TomoFujitaMusic

CES
Mar-10-2023, 8:02am
When the world shut down in 2020 I was playing a couple of hours a day, probably. It would have been more but I was still able to work. Anyway, I remember Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell doing “Iso Lounging,” and Jason casually stated that he’d been playing guitar for 8-10 hours a day and would be doing more if it weren’t for life/family responsibilities. The most I’ve ever put in was 4-5 hours, and that was when I was heading up the youth praise band at church and we’d play multiple services. Even if I had the time I don’t think I’d practice for 6-8 hours a day. Which is why Jason and crew will keep playing sold out shows at the Ryman (and much bigger venues) and I’ll keep plinking away on my couch. Props to those that have that drive.

T.D.Nydn
Mar-10-2023, 8:31am
“The more I practiced, the better I got.The better I got,the more I practiced”..Yngwie Malmsteen

Rick Jones
Mar-10-2023, 9:51am
“The more I practiced, the better I got.The better I got,the more I practiced”..Yngwie Malmsteen

Golfer Gary Player said something similar: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

JeffD
Mar-10-2023, 11:41am
Pablo Casals, in his 80s, was asked why he still practiced 4 to 5 hours a day, said: "Because I think I am making progress."

Mando Esq
Mar-10-2023, 9:55pm
Golfer Gary Player said something similar: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

In a similar fashion, my dad has always said “luck is when preparation meets opportunity.”

chris.burcher
Mar-11-2023, 7:23am
The great John Duffy was credited with claiming, "I open my case when the man opens his wallet". Some support for the other side of the practicing coin. If you don't know John, don't be offended. If you know John, you aren't.

journeybear
Mar-11-2023, 1:35pm
From a purely statistical standpoint, this is one of the most amazing threads I've seen here. Over 7600 views and only 18 posts, :disbelief: including this non-essential one. And half of those posts from yesterday's reboot. I wonder what this means, if anything. Perhaps people were curious to see what famous people had recommended, and didn't see much. I hope that improves, but at the moment, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. :confused:

Carry on!

Bill McCall
Mar-11-2023, 4:07pm
Practice only on the days you eat.

Kenny
Mar-13-2023, 2:01am
Someone (Coach John Wooden of UCLA, perhaps?) made a great point when he said something to the effect of, “When opportunity knocks it’s too late to start preparing.” How you practice guides your path. If you practice what you know you’ll stay where you are. Put your effort into the things you don’t yet know. That’s how to become prepared for opportunity.

Michael Manley
Mar-13-2023, 11:25am
“Best Practice” Inspiration and Ideas for Traditional Musicians by Judy Minot
Absolutely the best book I have ever read! Lots of advice on practicing and playing.
Music, as well as all of life, requires good posture, relaxing, focusing, mindfulness, etc.
The book has helped me immensely to become a better musician and person!
Thanks Judy

Ky Slim
Mar-14-2023, 7:58am
Rome wasn't built in a day

journeybear
Mar-14-2023, 3:59pm
Hmmm ... seems not directly related. Perhaps this is one of the aphorisms from the site mentioned in Post #2 to which the OP alludes somewhat dismissively in Post #5? :confused:

thesecretmandolinist
Mar-14-2023, 8:52pm
Practice every time you get a chance - Bill Monroe

Says it all really.

Mark Gunter
Mar-17-2023, 1:05pm
Practice early and often

Somebody said that sometime

Mark Gunter
Mar-17-2023, 1:07pm
For JB: You should practice at least as often as you scratch your noggin musing over statistics

Can’t remember who said that one, either

journeybear
Mar-18-2023, 8:18am
Did I miss something here? Are you a famous musician with a recommendation about practicing? :confused:

FYI, I spend way more time practicing than the few minutes spent producing the observations on this thread. I hope you do the same.

Mark Gunter
Mar-18-2023, 2:56pm
If you missed anything it would be humor, maybe? ;)

I suppose my brand of humour is easily misunderstood, sorry about that. I’m no more famous or relevant than most contributors to this thread. (Scratching my own noggin now)

journeybear
Mar-18-2023, 3:05pm
Hmmm ... OK. I thought so, maybe, but 'twas pretty dry. Emojis help. ;)

And OMG, do we need an eye-roll emoji! Use it all the time elsewhere. Closest we have is this, which isn't quite the same, though close ... :whistling:

Steve Mead
Mar-18-2023, 6:26pm
Listen to the Mandolins and Beer podcast #167. Very interesting!

journeybear
Mar-18-2023, 7:46pm
Link to it here. (https://mandolinsandbeer.com/the-mandolins-and-beer-podcast-167-wayne-fugate-the-art-of-practice/) Star of the show is Wayne Fugate, who has a decently impressive resume in performing, recording, and teaching.

Simon DS
Mar-19-2023, 4:37am
I think famous musicians often emphasize the importance of regular and focused practice in order to improve their craft.

Some examples:
1 "Practice, practice, practice" - Yo-Yo Ma, world-renowned cellist
2 "It's not necessarily the amount of time you spend at practice, it's what you put into the practice." - Kobe Bryant, former NBA player and musician
3 "Practice like you've never won. Perform like you've never lost." - Alicia Keys, Grammy-winning singer and songwriter
4 "The most important thing about practicing is to make it a habit." - Lang Lang, classical pianist
5 "Practice hard, play harder." - Eddie Van Halen, rock guitarist and songwriter
6 "The more you practice, the more you can let go of the mental part and the more it becomes natural." - Lindsey Stirling, violinist and dancer
7 "If you want to be great at anything, you have to be willing to practice every single day." - John Legend, Grammy-winning singer and songwriter
8 "I tell young musicians, 'Be brave and be disciplined.' Discipline is really important when it comes to practicing." - Wynton Marsalis, jazz trumpeter and composer.

Overall, these musicians stress the importance of discipline, hard work, and consistency in practicing to improve their skills and achieve success in their musical careers.

@Mark, you’re famous enough for me! :))
And from that other famous musician SimonDS: Metronome it, play with it, record it

Joed
Mar-19-2023, 10:32am
While taking up mandolin as a Covid project I spent allot of time playing along with the TV with some foreign shows with opera and classic soundtracks.