PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass From Colorado?

mandopete
Aug-15-2011, 10:21am
Hiya,

I'm putting together a list of bluegrass bands that are or were based in the bluegrass state of Colorado. I guess the list would probably start with Hot Rize, but I'm looking for other names. I would appreciate any other band names you might have.

Thanks!

man dough nollij
Aug-15-2011, 10:30am
I'm not sure if Hit and Run Bluegrass is still together, but they're (or were) from the Fort Collins area. Lyons, CO is kind of a hub of acoustic music activity. K.C. Groves is from there-- not sure what she's up to these days.

catmandu2
Aug-15-2011, 10:34am
Pete, you could call Kit at Pickin Parlor in Arvada to get the latest

maj34
Aug-15-2011, 10:45am
The great traditional bluegrass band Open Road (no longer together) was based in Colorado. Finnders and Youngberg is based in Colorado.

Don Grieser
Aug-15-2011, 11:30am
TMI

http://www.coloradobluegrass.org/bands.html

mandopete
Aug-15-2011, 12:21pm
Just thought of Front Range (good name for a band from Colorado, eh?).

Thanks folks - keep 'em comming!

:)

allenhopkins
Aug-15-2011, 5:44pm
City Limits from the '70's: the amazing, astounding, absolutely wonderful Lynn Morris on banjo, Pat Rossiter on guitar, and my ol' friend Mary "Sunshine" Stribling (later of the MotherFolkers) on bass fiddle. I have their one and only LP, and here's Peanut Butter Conspiracy from that 1976 record:

-W5Qe8Lcf_4

The late Dave Feretta, whom I met in Denver in 1967 when he was doing his conscientious objector service at a VA hospital, and I was a Sp5 in the infantry, later ran the Global Village coffeehouse and had a bluegrass band. Can't remember the band's name -- ah, wait a minute, a second Google search reveals the Sunday River Boys. I have their (probably only) LP as well.

Monroe Doctrine was another Denver-based band, which included Danny Weiss, later of Skyline; Mark Hembree, who played with a bunch of bands; and Bill Millet (Bluegrass Alliance, Mark O'Connor, etc.)

KEB
Aug-15-2011, 7:02pm
Monroe Doctrine was another Denver-based band, which included Danny Weiss, later of Skyline; Mark Hembree, who played with a bunch of bands; and Bill Millet (Bluegrass Alliance, Mark O'Connor, etc.)

My mando teacher was the Doctrine's fiddle player, Kerry Craig. Good guy and a fun fellow to play with.

allenhopkins
Aug-15-2011, 11:25pm
Addendum to my previous post: I spelled Dave Ferretta's name wrong, and the band was the Sunday River Bluegrass Show. (http://marines12.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunday-river-bluegrass-show-you-can.html)

Rroyd
Aug-16-2011, 1:02am
Charlie Sawtelle also played with Monroe Doctrine, and may have been a founding member. It was about 1973 or 1974, and at that time they had a mandolin player who was in the Air Force and played a Loar. His name tag is no longer visible in my memory; all I remember was the Loar and that he was tall, skinny, and wore a cowboy hat.

SkitownPicker
Aug-16-2011, 9:11am
The Old Town Pickers - Steamboat Springs
The Fallen Pines - Denver
Trout Steak Rivival - Denver
Highland Ramblers - Denver
The Holler! - Ft Collins
Long Road Home - Boulder
Slipstream - Boulder
Whitewater Ramble - Ft Collins
Oakhurst - Denver

Eliot Greenspan
Aug-16-2011, 9:56am
Even though they're DFHippies and have been known to venture away from trad grass, Emmitt-Nershi Band is playing some good ole fashioned bluegrass out of Colorado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0IAfKmT7I&feature=related

Trey Young
Aug-16-2011, 10:37am
I know Robb Brophy, who builds Elkhorn mandolins, also played mandolin in a band called The Badly Bent from (I believe) Durango, CO. I think as of earlier this year they are no longer playing together.

AlanN
Aug-16-2011, 11:32am
Ferretta's Music, does this store still exist? I visted that nice place in the 70's, seem to recall a gaudy F-5 hanging on the wall. And whilst I was in the store, Michael Martin Murphy walked in, of 'Widfire' fame. I *think* I got his autograph.

SkitownPicker
Aug-16-2011, 12:49pm
Head For The Hills - Ft Collins

jsphrdvs
Aug-16-2011, 1:56pm
I believe Spring Creek are from Colorado.

allenhopkins
Aug-16-2011, 3:33pm
Ferretta's Music, does this store still exist?...

Doubt it does; I believe Dave Ferretta passed on a while ago. Harry Tuft's Denver Folklore Center (http://www.denverfolklore.com/) is still in business, fifty years or more...

Tbone
Aug-19-2011, 2:30pm
'suppose I better put in a shameless plug for my band, the Acoustic Mining Company. We're playing at Nedfest next weekend, right in between Cornmeal and Hot Buttered Rum. Come on up!

www.facebook.com/acousticminingcompany

Christopher Howard-Williams
Aug-26-2011, 4:00pm
Another one for Spring Creek. Yup, Colorado based.

mandopete
Aug-29-2011, 10:34am
Okay here's what I played....

Hot Rize-Bending Blades
Front Range-Montana Gal
Spring Creek-My Love Is Way Up On A Mountain
Drew Emmitt-Meet Me In The Morning
Open Road-Lucky Drive
Hit & Run Bluegrass-Get Outta Town
Head For The Hills-Time To Spare
Hot Rize-Walkin' The Dog

If you wanna hear 'em you can always bring up the archived audio stream at www.kbcs.fm