PDA

View Full Version : $1k to spend... thinking used... imported or domestic?

Phantoj
Aug-12-2011, 3:02pm
Hi folks.

Been away for a while, but still playing my Kentucky 150S from time to time.

I got it pretty cheap and didn't take real good care of it, so it's looking rough -- some of the binding has peeled off the sides of the neck. Still sounds and plays pretty good, though.

My wife has given me the gift of a new mandolin for our 10th anniversary! I'm ready to get a nicer instrument. So I'm going to start looking, playing, trying 'em out.

It looks to me that I can get a low-end US-made instrument, used, at this price point, like a Gibson A9 or matte-finish A-model Weber. Maybe a Breedlove...

OR, I could get one of those Eastmans, maybe a "The Loar"; I really like the looks of the 615 in "natural" finish... watched one of those go on Ebay pretty reasonably recently. I like the looks of the F models a bit more than the A's, but I also think I might prefer a non-Chinese model. At least in guitars, I'd prefer a plain $900 Martin to a super-fancy $900 import. On the other hand, these Eastman models might change my thinking...

Some of the models have radiused fingerboards, some not... I think I really need to try em out and see what I like.

Basically, I don't know what I want, and I'm going to try some stuff out... What do you think?

I know I want an arched top. I'm pretty sure I want f-holes over oval. Maybe.

I like to play fiddle tunes on the mandolin, but I don't go to bluegrass jams. I don't play with others much. But when I play with another guitarist, it's nicer to pick the mandolin than to have dueling guitars.

JEStanek
Aug-12-2011, 3:09pm
Try them out. Buy the nicest playing and sounding one you can afford. Don't worry about country of origin.

Jamie

recordslut
Aug-12-2011, 3:17pm
My Gibson A9 was my first "real" mandolin and think they are a great buy on the used market for around a grand.

Phantoj
Aug-12-2011, 3:21pm
I hear some mandolins in this range are X-braced, some are not... there's even an Eastman with no bracing?!??

Phantoj
Aug-12-2011, 3:23pm
One of my problems is that I'm thinking of buying used... So if I do that, I'm probably not going to get to play it first... but the Classifieds here have a good return policy, right?

Phantoj
Aug-12-2011, 3:25pm
One thing I know: I do not want vintage. Used is OK, but nothing older than 10 or 20 years...

Ed Goist
Aug-12-2011, 3:34pm
Hi Phantoj:
Remarkably, THREE of the mandolins I mentioned at the beginning of this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?75737-The-Mandolin-Upgrade-Iron-is-Hot!) still seem to be available!
A couple are just above your $1,000 threshold, but still worth looking at.
There are also a couple of nice Breedloves (an ff Custom (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49955&query=retrieval) & an Olympic Oval (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49954&query=retrieval)) in the classifieds for $1200, and this Morris A5 for $750 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49934&query=retrieval).
Many Cafe sellers of used mandolins offer a +/- 48 hour return policy. If this is not expressed in the ad just be sure to ask.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
It's a buyer's market for mandolins right now...That's for sure.
(I have no financial interest in any of the mandolins mentioned in this post).

Alex Orr
Aug-12-2011, 3:42pm
The higher end Kentucky models have a very good rep around the Cafe and can usually be found used around $1k. They tend to show up once a month or so on the classifieds. The Loar mandolins also have a really good reputation and go for less than $1k new. Seems like everyone who buys one of those things feels like it was a terrific purchase. For $1500, this used Grey Eagle (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi) is a real bargain.

allenhopkins
Aug-12-2011, 3:51pm
Suggestion: head down to the Folk School of St. Louis (http://www.folk-school.org/) for one of their bluegrass or old-time jams. Listen to as many mandolins as you can, try out ones that their owners will permit, get a feel for what's available, prices, sounds, etc. You can get a decent selection of used US-made, and new and used imports, for $1K.

Fazio's Music (http://www.faziosmusic.com/pdshop/shop/listcats.aspx) lists several brands of mandolin, including Breedlove, Big Muddy, and Weber. Again, trying as many as you can get your hands on, will provide you with information and comparison opportunities.

Good luck!

Phantoj
Aug-12-2011, 4:00pm
Hi Phantoj:
Remarkably, THREE of the mandolins I mentioned at the beginning of this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?75737-The-Mandolin-Upgrade-Iron-is-Hot!) still seem to be available!
A couple are just above your $1,000 threshold, but still worth looking at.
There are also a couple of nice Breedloves (an ff Custom (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49955&query=retrieval) & an Olympic Oval (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49954&query=retrieval)) in the classifieds for $1200, and this Morris A5 for $750 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49934&query=retrieval).
Many Cafe sellers of used mandolins offer a +/- 48 hour return policy. If this is not expressed in the ad just be sure to ask.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
It's a buyer's market for mandolins right now...That's for sure.
(I have no financial interest in any of the mandolins mentioned in this post).

I really like the looks (and price!) of that Morris. I'm already reaching for my wallet -- but I know I need to try some more instruments out before I make the move on anything!

So here are some brands worth checking out in this price range, used:

Eastman
The Loar
Kentucky (I already have a Kentucky; I think I want something different)

Gibson (A9)
Weber (Gallatin, Bitterroot?)
Rigel (??)
Breedlove
Grey Eagle
Morris

anything obvious I'm missing?

Uncle Bob
Aug-12-2011, 4:12pm
Hi Phantoj -

I've been playing my Eastman MD615 now for just over a year and I love it. Great tone, feel, and very well made. I've played "The Loar" and I much prefer the feel of the neck and the sound of the Eastman, that's just my opinion. In your price range, I think an Eastman would be worth looking into.

Here's a photo of my Eastman

Good luck with your search!

Alex Orr
Aug-12-2011, 4:14pm
So here are some brands worth checking out in this price range, used:
Grey Eagle
Just a note about that one... You probably won't find many used in the range the seller has it at; they usually go for around $2k or higher. You probably won't have much of a chance to try one out in the wild either since they come from a small shop builder in Richmond, Virginia. Although it's another monetary stretch, you can sometimes find used Collings MTs on the classifieds for around $1500, though usually they're a bit more than that.

AKmusic
Aug-12-2011, 4:27pm
ooo.... I know it's more money, but if you can swing it - a strong recommendation for a Colling MT (if you gotta have f holes and don't object to A style).

I have been waiting for a long time for an MTO (oval hole), and now there are 2 in the classifieds - and I'm not at a place where I can spring for one now. DANG!...story of my life.

And I would suggest a serious look at oval hole mando's if you don't have any inclinations towards things "bluegrass". They really have a nice tonal quality that is a different than f holes. A quality I would really like to have for playing old time fiddle tunes.

BTW, I do have a LM700 - and I am very pleased with it. And The Loar LM400 is an A style version of the LM700. And - indications are - very comparible in all ways to the 700 at about half the cost.

But, if I had it to do over, I'd get one of those Collings listed. (...the result of my more recent decent further into OT music.) I see them as having a great potential for being the period at the end of my sentence for playing OT fiddle tunes.

Caleb
Aug-12-2011, 4:27pm
With $1k to spend, you could get a very good A-style, used, and still have money left over for picks, books, CDs, a fancy case, etc. I got my Eastman 505 here in the classifieds for $400. I've had it for three years and it's all the mandolin I need. Just another perspective to consider.

John Kinn
Aug-12-2011, 5:20pm
You can't go much wrong with this one,unless you prefer a wider nut..

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49804&query=retrieval

This one also seems like a good deal, well spoken of at the Cafe:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49182&query=retrieval

NFI.

Good luck with whatever you purchase!
John

Jim Ferguson
Aug-12-2011, 6:26pm
Heh Phantoj........I just did what you are thinking except I sold a gem of a mando to get the one I wanted. I had a 2004 Gibson F-9 with the subtle satin finish but wanted a different look & sound & so I sold the "Gibby" & bought one of the Eastman MD515 mandos from The Mandoln Store........I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! I love the look & it sounds so sweet. I love the radiused fretboard too. All in all......I am thrilled with the direction I went. The MD515 will run you just under a grand$ & it comes with a very nice case.
Bottom line........only you know what you want......try out as many instruments as you can get your mitts on & go with what "speaks" to your ear & playability. (Take a serious look at that Eastman MD515 though.......sweet mando for sure.....:-)
Peace

Folkmusician.com
Aug-12-2011, 6:38pm
I hear some mandolins in this range are X-braced, some are not... there's even an Eastman with no bracing?!??

New mando time is always a great occasion!

Of the $1000 and under imports, The Loar LM-220 and LM-300 are X-braced. The Loar LM-400 and LM-700 have no bracing/tone bars. The Eastman's have tone bars.

If you are not going used, Any of the current Eastman's or The Loar's will be great values. There is not a bad choice among them. :)

Ken_P
Aug-12-2011, 8:46pm
I'll second the recommendation for a used Collings MT if you can swing it. Put that $1K away and add to it with every bit of spare change you can find until you have enough - I don't think anything else in the price range even comes close to what a used Collings can offer for just a little more.

Marcus CA
Aug-13-2011, 12:32am
If that $1,200 Breedlove Quartz FF in the Classifieds is out of your price range, the Quartz OF's (oval body with f-holes, same neck as FF) usually get listed in the $750-850 range. New, stores usually list them for $1,000-1,100.

Keith Witty
Aug-13-2011, 10:00am
A new Loar LM 700 is something you can't go wrong with.

MandoSquirrel
Aug-13-2011, 5:43pm
Hi folks....

It looks to me that I can get a low-end US-made instrument, used, at this price point, like a Gibson A9 or matte-finish A-model Weber. Maybe a Breedlove...

OR, I could get one of those Eastmans, maybe a "The Loar"; I really like the looks of the 615 in "natural" finish... watched one of those go on Ebay pretty reasonably recently. I like the looks of the F models a bit more than the A's, but I also think I might prefer a non-Chinese model. At least in guitars, I'd prefer a plain $900 Martin to a super-fancy $900 import. On the other hand, these Eastman models might change my thinking...

Given the funds you mention vs. the brands, you can get more value for the money in a used Breedlove than anything else mentioned, but they're not for everyone.

Laird
Aug-13-2011, 8:24pm
(Take a serious look at that Eastman MD515 though.......sweet mando for sure.....:-)

This is what I ended up with, too, for under $800 used. I also made the leap from a Kentucky 150--and a leap it was! The Eastman has been a beautiful instrument for me, and I've heard nothing but praises from the other Eastman owners I've met. Can't go wrong!

mishima
Aug-14-2011, 4:34am
Hey I have a Flatiron A5 artist that is gathering dust, as I enjosy the sound of an Oval mandolin and am busy plating at a fiddle.

Do your research cause I can meet your price point.

Why don't I list this cause I would like to asisst someone that is looking rathre than just a looker.

Mike

Phantoj
Aug-15-2011, 9:51pm
Hey I have a Flatiron A5 artist that is gathering dust

I need to do a bit of playing and feeling before I can make any moves, but I like the sound of this!

celtolin
Aug-15-2011, 10:41pm
As an owner of a Breedlove Quartz OF, I cast my vote in that direction! The Eastman MD504 was a close second when I was shopping around (MD505 is the f-hole model).

mando_dan
Aug-15-2011, 10:56pm
Flatiron! Flatiron! Flatiron!

KEB
Aug-16-2011, 4:24pm
I'll throw my hat into the Eastman camp. I bought a beautifully set up new, demo model Eastman 615 from Stephen Perry of Gianna Violins, for less than $1000, and it sounds much better than my meager skills can do justice for. I can't imagine that I'll outgrow it.

mishima
Aug-18-2011, 9:44am
Phantoj

I sent a private mesage to you but it did not go through.

I am coming through St. Louis in early and mid October, also I have a brother that lives in St. Louis that said I could ship th A5 to him so you could get a feel for it.

As I use a computer at work Fri-Sun or at the Library I may take a while to gert back to you.

Mike

Phantoj
Aug-18-2011, 11:03am
Mike, I sent a PM to you with my email address.

acousticphd
Aug-18-2011, 12:02pm
How about this one - a sunburst Gibson A9 with a pickup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Master-Model-A-9-electric-/130564244146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e663c42b2

I think several of the other recommendations (Loar, Eastman, Morris) are also very good, although my advice would be to buy used -there is plenty of opportunity to buy used, at a much better deal. If you buy new, you will only get a fraction of your money back if you sell later on. Any Flatiron A5 or Gibson A9 you buy for ~$1000 will be worth every cent of what you paid, and pretty likely increase in value.

acousticphd
Aug-18-2011, 12:04pm
And maybe keep an eye on this on this one, too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flatiron-Performer-Mandolin-Case-/170683651075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bd89d403

acousticphd
Aug-18-2011, 12:06pm
And what the heck, maybe this one as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-A9-Mandolin-/150650140874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231372b8ca

allenhopkins
Aug-18-2011, 2:57pm
How about this one - a sunburst Gibson A9 with a pickup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Master-Model-A-9-electric-/130564244146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e663c42b2...Any Flatiron A5 or Gibson A9 you buy for ~$1000 will be worth every cent of what you paid, and pretty likely increase in value.

Interesting that the eBay seller says he/she "paid $15,000" for the A-9. Case of misplaced decimal point, I'm guessing. No warranty, set-up or store guarantee in a private eBay sale, but an excellent mandolin for the money.

Phantoj
Aug-18-2011, 4:14pm
Any Flatiron A5 or Gibson A9 you buy for ~$1000 will be worth every cent of what you paid, and pretty likely increase in value.

Normally I like to get a good deal, but since this purchase is as a "gift", I don't plan on reselling, and it's more important just to get something I will really like.

Mike Snyder
Aug-18-2011, 4:51pm
Flatiron

scootergirl62
Aug-22-2011, 6:09am
With $1k to spend, you could get a very good A-style, used, and still have money left over for picks, books, CDs, a fancy case, etc. I got my Eastman 505 here in the classifieds for $400. I've had it for three years and it's all the mandolin I need. Just another perspective to consider.

In all my in-experience, I would have to say I'd second the Eastman 505 - it's is amazing sounding. And that does indeed leave a lot left over for all the accessories you know you're going to want...

mandodan1960
Aug-22-2011, 8:02am
Gibson A9. Ask about fret condition. My A9 had the thin frets they wore quickly. I sold it and my friend had the wider frets installed. Still sounds the same and playability is about the same but the frets won't wear as quick. My experience with pac-rim is that they're a real crapshoot.

Phantoj
Oct-13-2011, 10:38am
Got the Flatiron from user "mishima" this week. He happened to be visiting my town, so we did a face-to-face deal.

I really like it! I think it's a '99, seems to have a Nashville-era serial number, but a Bozeman-era construction: M&T neck block and X-bracing (I think).

Mike was a real cool guy to buy from, too. No pressure and very friendly.

Markus
Oct-13-2011, 10:48am
Sounds great Phantoj. Always nice to buy from good people.

Jose_L
Oct-13-2011, 4:58pm
deleted post

tprior
Oct-15-2011, 5:38am
Of course we can all advise on what you should buy and make a recommendation. But what I like may not be what you like. A month or two back we made a trip to a NC Mandolin shop, they had easily 30 or more new Mandolins and several Vintage. We took our Loar 500 with us for a reference.

Here's what we came up with..compared to the Loar 500 for playability and tone. We looked at mandolins in the $600 to approx $1000 range for consideration.

Loar 700 excellent
Eastman 515 or HIGHER..excellent
Morgan Monroe MDM-1 excellent

About a week after we looked at the Mandolins I found a used Eastman 515 which was basically brand new and was able to acquire it for well under the $1000 retail price. This is a great Mandolin as mentioned above, excellent tone, playability and a beauty.

Now, I also found a few weeks ago a Michael kelly Legacy plus , they sell new for around $850, I bought it USED for well under that price, actually well under half that price, it's in excellent condition and plays ok, but not like the Loar or Eastman...for the money it was good but compared to the Loar /Eastman, it falls short. I bought it becasue it has the Fishman system installed and wanted a Mandolin for gigs to plug in. I my or may not keep it. I'm trying to like it but it's not working out so good ! Where as the Eastman was an instant like. I was not going to leave the store wthout it when I bought it, good thing they didn't know that during price negotiations.

The other Mandoiln we really liked was the Morgan Monroe MDM-1 distressed model, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I ran across a deal. They sell new for abaout $800.

So, Eastman 515 which sells new for about $1000 or a Loar 600 or 700 would be my suggestion in thje $1000 range. The Loar 700 is a tad more but I think worth it.

t