PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's like a mandolin, but backwards, and HUGE...

Jake Wildwood
Aug-10-2011, 11:32pm
Any Rigel fans out there?

Pete's been working on this monster lately...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0DqVtsn509A/TkNTSaXItoI/AAAAAAAAN_Q/66VaHlhbll8/s1600/pete1.jpg

I just got to try the proto for these:
http://www.rigelinstruments.com/publish/abg.shtml

...today at the shop.

This thing is rocking, pure and simple. I think it's perhaps one of the coolest basses ever as it can cross into a ton of different styles yet remain unplugged, with about the power of a 3/4 or 7/8 bass -- though I think the mileage would vary depending on string type and playing style. I used a pick on it as well since it had the roundwound strings on it and this thing got LOUD.

More photos at the blog (click here). (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2011/08/c2011-rigel-acoustic-bass-guitar.html)

Dobe
Aug-10-2011, 11:49pm
WOW !!!!!!! Monster is right! I hope that gets some luthiers a thinkin'. I'd love to hear/play it. !!:mandosmiley:

Tavy
Aug-11-2011, 3:46am
That's cool.... and BIG! :)

Shelagh Moore
Aug-11-2011, 3:59am
She's not a monster... in fact she's very bonnie!:)

dcoventry
Aug-11-2011, 7:07am
AS the resident Rigel enthusiast and well wisher, let me take this oppurtunity to say......

That is just super cool. Pete really has cool ideas rolling around his head, and it's great to see them get translated into reality. It just cannot be easy to craft one of those big dogs.

Nice.

Jim Garber
Aug-11-2011, 8:35am
Very cool. The picture on the Rigel site is a little different, most obviously in the tailpiece. Also, does this one have a secondary soundboard and a removable neck? Any clue as to the price?

Features:

Approximately 60-second neck removal (no tools necessary) utilizing an aluminum dovetail neck joint. This comes in handy for shipping, transporting, or wherever storage space is an issue
Unique ergonomically wedged body shape to retain much-needed cubic inches for optimum low frequency response and to allow the player long sessions without fatigue
Strap locks are standard and placed in balanced locations
Sound-post driven, secondary-ported sound board for ultimate volume
Proprietary sound post tensioner to maintain sound post position during breakdown and shipping
Unique cable style tailpiece
Removable thumb rest
Locating pins on bridge
Three levels of bridge height configuration
Most upright pickup options will work on this bass for sound reinforcement
Most models utilize renewable resource materials, creating a "Green" instrument

http://www.rigelinstruments.com/images/ABG/abg-front2.png

Jake Wildwood
Aug-11-2011, 8:38am
Here's a vid with the bass in it just to get an idea of how it plays with a strap on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIai1cN0MVc

The audio is unfortunately not so hot but you get the gist -- I think the kick drum was cutting out a lot of response from the mic.

RE above post -- yes, it does have the secondary soundboard and break-down neck. Not sure on price, but I think Rick told me in the 1800-2500 range.

Mandobart
Aug-11-2011, 10:21am
Wow! The return of the mandobass!

mrmando
Aug-11-2011, 10:45am
Will there be an endpin option? Gibson mandobasses have two endpin holes: one in the usual place and one in the lower treble bout so the instrument can be played at an angle, as Heather is doing here. Being able to balance the instrument on the floor would take more stress off the player's back and shoulders.

Jim Garber
Aug-11-2011, 10:50am
Hah! Martin, you took the words out of my keyboard...

I just wrote to Peter with a few questions:

Very cool looking instrument. I was just wondering when it would be available? Also, what would the price be?

I saw the photos that Jake Wildwood posted on the Mandolin Cafe. The main visual difference is the tailpiece. Which one is the actual tailpiece?

Also, I was wondering what the construction of this bass is. Is it plywood or solid woods and what woods is is made of?

Also, is it meant only to be played in guitar fashion or would it have an endpin? Come to think of it might it have two endpins -- one for upright position and one for guitar position. I suppose if it were lightweight enough it might not need the guitar endpin.

Jake Wildwood
Aug-11-2011, 12:00pm
Guys: I think the production model has two end pins -- upright and angled.

Jake Wildwood
Aug-11-2011, 12:05pm
Also... this thing feels great sitting down, too.

mrmando
Aug-11-2011, 12:16pm
Wow! It even has feelings?

Jake Wildwood
Aug-11-2011, 12:20pm
Don't we all?

Wesley
Aug-12-2011, 3:26pm
I half expected y'all to tell me it was a mandolin built in Texas - where everythings bigger.

Good song too.

Kerry Krishna
Aug-16-2011, 11:29am
Jake, how about a better vid of the bass without the band? The vid doesnt do a lot except show what it looks like. Thanks!

Jake Wildwood
Aug-16-2011, 8:16pm
Kerry... I know... but no can do until I get a chance to see it again when it's not touring with Rick & Heather. The darn kick drum cut out all our low frequencies... which sucked.

eastmountain
Aug-16-2011, 11:36pm
It's a Cellotar!

There's always room for Cello...