PDA

View Full Version : Me & My '70 F-12 in Action

the_guitar_guru
Aug-08-2011, 3:23pm
Me & My '70 F-12 in Action at cafe24seven in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I started playing mandolin around 2006 because to me it picks up where rocking out on lead guitar leaves off!!! I've had the F-12 for just over a year now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregvulcan?feature=mhee#p/c/F009F6A9D64D4C1C/5/213w6uc0QKg

Bernie Daniel
Aug-08-2011, 3:58pm
Me & My '70 F-12 in Action at cafe24seven in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I started playing mandolin around 2006 because to me it picks up where rocking out on lead guitar leaves off!!! I've had the F-12 for just over a year now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregvulcan?feature=mhee#p/c/F009F6A9D64D4C1C/5/213w6uc0QKg

Nice picking -- I like it! Like the song too -- but I was in the Army when it came out that was not as much fun!

I had a 1972 Gibson F-12 -- basically identical to yours. The Gibson mandolins from that period do not have a great reputation with the bluegrass crowd for their sound and tone -- but I thought my F-12 sounded pretty decent and I keep it for about 5 years before selling it for more than I paid for it.

On the plus side these F-12's were very pretty mandolins with a peculiar sun bust that I found very attractive. In addition they had most of the features that the F-5's of the day did -- gold hardware, fully bound body and headstock, full fingerboard extension, with a pick guard. They also had two labels just like the F-5's -- one for the model number the other the Gibson guarantee.

Another feature I liked was the matched rosewood fingerboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with the Fleur-di-lis inlay and the yellow varnished binding that had that vintage look all over it. Yes indeed very pretty Gibson. Here is a picture of mine --- I still kind of miss it.

This look like yours? :)

the_guitar_guru
Aug-08-2011, 4:07pm
I'm pleased with the sound of mine; it would take a boatload of money to do much better. On the day I bought mine there was a film crew in the store and I got to play a July 9, 1923 Loar. They asked my opinion comparing the '70 F-12 vs. the '23 Loar and I said it sounds better but not $247,000 worth. I also once played a '27 Fern at the same store and I would take it over the Loar; a total monster!!! The closest thing to the Loar as far as tone and bark was a Stiver but I took the F-12.

the_guitar_guru
Aug-08-2011, 4:38pm
My wife checking it out on the night I got it:
http://iamgreg.net/pix/f-12-2.jpg

Here's a pic of me gigging on it:
http://iamgreg.net/pix/f-12-1.jpg

I have since put the pickgaurd back on it.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-08-2011, 4:45pm
Yeah well of course you are not paying the entire $247,000 difference in purchase price just for "sound" -- the Loar is a rare collectible of huge historical importance -- being the first F-5's etc. The funny thing is that there are probably fewer 1970 F-12's than Loar F-5's in the world -- so it is not just rarity either.

Great pics BTW -- your '70 is essentially identical to my '72. Very pretty mandolin for sure.

As to what mandolin a person should have -- I think it depends on what you play as to what mandolin will work for you.

My main mandolin right now is a 2001 Gibson Sam Bush F-5 -- my old F-12 was a totally different sound and really would have been a marginal for playing in a bluegrass group. The Bush model is exactly what you need for BG and has a lot more projection and sustain.

But as I noted there was really nothing but wrong with the F-12 and it was great for old time or rock and roll etc. or just jamming with a guitar player. For a while I had an bridge with a Fishman transducer fitted up to it and it sounded awesome through an amp. Looks like you have the same arrangement!

Crabgrass
Aug-08-2011, 9:23pm
Nice! Did you compose the mando part yourself, or can I find it somewhere. Would like to learn it. Thanks!

the_guitar_guru
Aug-09-2011, 12:52pm
Nice! Did you compose the mando part yourself, or can I find it somewhere. Would like to learn it. Thanks!

Thanks!
I came up with that as I was sitting there watching Ralph. I went into playing mandolin with a good working knowledge of chords and scales and have always enjoyed improvising and playing to the moment. Being familiar with the song really helps too.