PDA

View Full Version : Diminished(---+) Chords Practice Tunes

tuhker
Aug-07-2011, 10:21pm
Finally getting around to practicing the fingering of these using Sheik of Araby as it makes good use of them. Does anyone have some other standard tunes or progressions I can use for practice?

swampstomper
Aug-08-2011, 7:02am
What arrangement of Sheik are you using? The Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian version just uses straight chords, allowing the soloist a lot of freedom.

AlanN
Aug-08-2011, 7:38am
Dawg's Steppin With Stephane does the dim, also Mark O'Connor on Berserkeley.

AlanN
Aug-08-2011, 8:32am
Also, Reischman's Birdland Breakdown has a dim passage in there, and for the jazzers, Jitterbug Waltz I think has some dim.

tuhker
Aug-08-2011, 10:26am
What arrangement of Sheik are you using? The Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian version just uses straight chords, allowing the soloist a lot of freedom.

Dix Bruce

250sc
Aug-08-2011, 11:09am
Try a dim sound over any V chord. Let your ear guide you if it works or not but you should find it wanting to resolve to the I.

Example: if the V is D7 play a dim idea using Eb dim. I think that will give you a 13 b9 type of sound. (Theory isn't my strong point. Please correct me if needed)

montana
Aug-08-2011, 11:39am
Bridge part of Airmail Special. A real dim workout!!!

250sc
Aug-09-2011, 7:42am
So, did this help the OP?

Don Stiernberg
Aug-09-2011, 8:46am
what does (---+) refer to? Plus signs usually denote augmented chords. Diminisheds use a circle...

AlanN
Aug-09-2011, 8:47am
Another one is off Marshall's Gator Strut, called Scotch & Swing, has a brief dim passage which makes the tune.

LaVonne
Aug-09-2011, 10:09am
Take a look at Jethro's "Flickin' My Pick".

Ignatius
Aug-09-2011, 10:49am
what does (---+) refer to? Plus signs usually denote augmented chords. Diminisheds use a circle...
Thank you for asking, Don; I've been thinking the same thing but feared I was ignorant of some alternative notation system.

Ignatius

AlanN
Aug-09-2011, 10:49am
That's about all I can do with that number is look at it :))

Seriously, a great little tune (in A flat!) that has challenged me for literally 30 years, after hearing it on the B To B record. It's noted out in his first Mandolin Player book, with a terrific chord progression. Wakefield did Bb for NCR, but Jethro did Ab....the bum.

tuhker
Aug-09-2011, 12:46pm

Sorry, did I learn nothing in your symbol class? Was trying to be cute (--- as 3 flatted notes and + as I want more of it) but just like my humor, it was obscure and falls flat(argh) to most. I did try to rename the topic afterwards but couldn't figure how to do that. Forgive my meanderings maestro and hope your summer is well.

tuhker
Aug-09-2011, 1:02pm
Thanks all for the great suggestions. The pinky is starting to cooperate on the progressions Dm7 -> Dbdim and Bb -> Bdim.

250sc
Aug-09-2011, 1:03pm
So, did you try to use diminished on any V chord?

250sc
Aug-09-2011, 1:11pm
Oh, just saw your second post where you wrote Bb -> Bdim. That is what I suggested. Try this over any dominant chord functioning as a V.

tuhker
Aug-09-2011, 4:11pm
Oh yeah thnx, got it...6 2 5 1 becomes 6 2 1dim 1. Not much diff between an A7(dom) and Ddim7 in the key of D. When people say diminished chord, are they generally referring to the dim triad or the dim7?

btw, if a moderator is trolling, can you remove the text in parenthesis of the title of this thread to reduce confusion?