PDA

View Full Version : Breedlove KF sunburst

ffxcowboy
Nov-16-2004, 2:08pm
Pulled the trigger! Amazing action, looks, and guts - all in one tiny box. Anyone else love these perfectly assembled mandos?

Tim
Nov-16-2004, 2:22pm
If you bought that recently at Melodee Music, I played it Saturday morning. Very nice.

ffxcowboy
Nov-16-2004, 2:26pm
Yes that's the one. I thought I heard the echos of some nice licks echoing inside.

Lane Pryce
Nov-16-2004, 4:24pm
I had a KF Quartz. It was one of the best mandolins I had ever had. My only minor complaint was if didn't have enough woof in the chop. The treble would cut ya if ya got too close though. Lp http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Dru Lee Parsec
Nov-16-2004, 6:04pm
I have a KO Quartz in a natural blond finish. #Same as yours but with oval hole, X bracing, and a clear satin finish. Well, ok, I guess that makes it totally different than yours. #But yes, I agree! They sound great and I love the Breedlove neck so much that I just can't play a flat fretboard-skinney neck mando any more.

Rob Powell
Nov-16-2004, 8:21pm
Small world, I bought my KF (natural) from Melodee Music as well...and have been very pleased...

Lane, hafta disagree...some of these will chop with the best...

Lane Pryce
Nov-16-2004, 8:35pm
Rob mine was a blonde too with some fantastic flame;wish I still had it. Lp

Rob Powell
Nov-16-2004, 8:53pm
Hey,

You'll hafta bring it to the Mandotasting at Jammin Java!

ffxcowboy
Nov-16-2004, 8:58pm
Rob, Love to bring it - when is it?

atetone
Nov-16-2004, 11:18pm
I had a Quartz OF for about a year or so. For some reason that I can't seem to recall I sold it.
I wish I hadn't done that and find myself wanting to try another one.
Really miss that comfortable neck and ease of playability.
This is becoming a big issue for me because my left hand is really giving me problems. I need to start looking for more comfortable mandolins that like lighter strings.
Has anyone used lighter strings than J74s one their Breedlove with any success?
How are the oval hole models?? I have not played any of them.

ewallack
Nov-17-2004, 6:39am
I have a flamey blonde, oval-hole Columbia (purchased from Elderly) strung with Thomastik flats and I love it for solo, jazzy and classical stuff. I think Breedlove claims it was sort of designed for modern classical playing but it's versatile and sounds really good for gypsy jazz too!

Eric

Rob Powell
Nov-17-2004, 8:52am
Hi Ron,

We haven't yet settled on the date but looks like a Tuesday or Wednesday night in the next few weeks after Turkey day...

Check this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=19852)

for details

John Ely
Nov-17-2004, 10:07am
I had an A-shaped Quartz with f-holes I liked so much that I bought a Breedlove Rogue. I love it. It has a better balance than the Quartz, and a slightly more woody sound. Not that the Quartz was anything to complain about, but the Rogue is better.

Eric F.
Nov-17-2004, 10:24am
I have a Quartz OO, and I love it. I used to have a KF, which I also loved. I recently bought the oval used. It seemed to have almost too much punch with J74s, so I put some flattops on it, the FT74s. I also put a bridge with a fossil ivory top on. The results have been spectacular. It still has punch, but it's a little more mellow, and the notes just sound so clear and true. I'm going to try Thomastiks on it next, but I can't imagine it sounding better than it does right now. Sometimes I play it and just laugh at how (relatively) little it cost.

Ancient
Nov-17-2004, 11:01am
I have a Breedlove Rogue. It is a fantastic instrument.

ira
Nov-18-2004, 8:30am
don't have one, but love the look- that kind of chopped off "k" think really appeals to me. generally like those blondes (at least in a mando), but that is spectacular. enjoy

ffxcowboy
Nov-19-2004, 8:05pm
one for the road

atetone
Nov-20-2004, 5:35pm
Well,, you will never guess what occurred today.
After following this thread and asking a couple of questions regarding Breedlove oval holed mandos, (which I have never played but used to own an Fholed Quartz),, I logged onto ebay and lo and behold there appeared a new OO Quartz with a BUY IT NOW OF $549.
Do I have to fill in the rest of the story??
So it looks like in the near future I will be able to answer a few questions about them myself.
Couldn't let it slip by at that price.
I have to sell something fast before the future X finds out!
Anyone want to buy a Flatiron 1N http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif #PLEASE??

lightningbug
Dec-01-2004, 10:05pm
I had never tried a Breedlove before because the shape just turned me off to the whole line; guitars included. #I tried a Cascade last week and fell in love. #I didn't buy it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. #I couldn't get the tone out of my mind, I kept remembering how well I played some of the hardest phrases I know, and the wood... #I was actually depressed that I might not be able to see it again. #I didn't want to buy it, it's not the right time of the year. #I thought, if its still available in the spring, I'll go back. #But then the thought of someone else touching it, making music with it, taking it home--I couldn't allow it. #

I ordered it today. #

I've tried to convince my wife that some obsessions are good. #She's assured me that obsession is bad, no matter what the object.

Onesound
Dec-02-2004, 11:57am
Don't think I've ever picked a Breedlove - always thought (by the way they looked) they seemed overpriced. Hmmm... maybe I was wrong, by the rave comments from all of you. Think I should have a second look. Elderly has some good prices, too.

BTW - are the Breedlove's carved top & back instruments?
Cheers,
Brian

ffxcowboy
Dec-02-2004, 1:14pm
Bug, You will not regreat owning a Breedlove. My Quartz KF burst got sweet kudos during my sunday coffeehouse set. I played a half hour mando and then a half hour guitar and vocals. Man, do people love the sound of that live mando!Many didn't even know what it was, but they quickly found how hynoptic and soothing it can be. All it took was a condenser mic, generous reverb, and bingo! Breedloves are so clear and haunting, I plan to keep it in my set from now on.
Best,
PS - they are all solid maple back and sides and spruce top - for not a lot of money

lightningbug
Dec-02-2004, 6:50pm
Ron
Thats a really good idea. What kind of music do you play on your mando? I've just started playing in public and either I sing and play guitar, or I play backup and lead on the mando for somebody else. I hadn't thought of just playing the mando solo.

Professor PT
Dec-02-2004, 7:10pm
That's a nice looking mando, but I don't know about that scroll. Maybe have MandoJeremy take a look at it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Onesound
Dec-04-2004, 4:22pm
Other than finish and body binding, etc, are there really any significant differences between Breedlove models (Quartz vs Columbia vs. Rogue)?
thanks,
Brian

mandolooter
Dec-04-2004, 8:13pm
I've played every breedlove thats came thru our local music store and have been impressed with quite a few of them...they are a quaility product. That said today I stopped in and they had a Rogue which I believe is there 2nd best mandolin, behind the McKenszie and whew doggy it had some TONE & volume. Major difference between it and the other 3 they had a Q.KF, and 2 Quartz A's. It was apparent that some extra effort was taken with this instrument IMO. I seem to recall that Kim B. hisself does the voicing on the Rogues and McK's Im a big fan of the KF body style too. You should be quite the happy camper by now since youv'e been pickin on it for 6 months or so...any noticable improvement in tone as it opens up? The only thing I wondered about was the heelcap was finished in satin while the rest of it was gloss...anybody know why that is? I asked at the store but nobody there knew jack about mandos cept "I believe there tuned like a guitars last 4 strings" I just "ok, but can I borrow a tuner cuz I think its still a tad out" and smiled at him.

ffxcowboy
Dec-06-2004, 7:38am
Bug, I play all my own tunes, sort of a jazz, rock, pop country fusion, that folks seem to dig here in NO VA. On mando I play some tunes I wrote just for it, others that I transposed from guitar. About half my mando set is instrumental, which I am finding is a place of huge musical possibilities. Because I am a singer guitarist, I play the mando more like a guitar and try things that probably are not traditional for it. I am a finger picker and strummer by trade, and now I am adding flat picking in the mando mix.
Best,

lightningbug
Dec-08-2004, 12:17pm
That sounds wonderful. I've been playing by Breedlove for less than a week now, but I think its got a great tone for playing solo. We don't have any venues like a Sunday morning coffee house around here, but I think a set on open stage night might work. Thanks for posting.

Rob Powell
Dec-09-2004, 11:45am
BTW...DC Mandotasting is set up...Monday, 12/13 at 7pm...Flanagan's in Bethesda...just in case you haven't been checking the other thread!

ffxcowboy
Dec-09-2004, 7:38pm
Geek, Yes thank you, I saw the announcement and will try to make it. Getting around the beltway from Fairfax that time of day is always a test of will. I'll try and make it - the mandos there are going to be sweet!
Best,

Here's the Breedlove Quartz KF backside...

http://############/vi4c0

levin4now
Dec-09-2004, 8:18pm
A NEW? OO Quartz ran you 549? that's great! I looked at them seriously before buying my MK, but I couldn't come up with that kind of money! Congratulations!

atetone
Dec-09-2004, 8:32pm
levin4now, yes $549 on a "buy it now". I wasn't sure what was going to show up but when it arrived it was definately a brand new Breedlove Quartz OO mandolin with absolutely no issues.
Great woods, no Breedlove case or gigbag but a very small new guitar gigbag. I will have to find a case for it somewhere along the way but I am very happy with it.
Just in the right place at the right time and lucked out.