PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Recorder/USB Mic

Baron Collins-Hill
Aug-06-2011, 3:29pm
Hi Everybody.

I am looking for a handheld recorder with a good built in mic, something very similar to the Zoom H1. However, I also want something that can be used as a USB mic for my computer, that is, I want to be able to plug it into my computer and record straight to the hard drive.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I think it can be done with the H4n and H2, but I'd like something smaller. If only the H1 could do it it would be exactly what I wanted.

Thanks,
Baron

foldedpath
Aug-06-2011, 5:29pm
The Zoom H2 will do this, but with a direct USB interface link you're limited to 16-bit recording instead of the 24 bits you get when using it as a separate recorder. It's also locked at 44.kHz instead of the higher sampling rates. At 16 bits you'll have to be more careful setting levels, and the H2 only has three fixed level settings. It will work, but it's not as good as having a separate computer interface with mic preamp, which will let you set analog input levels, and use other mics later on. The H2 and similar recorders are designed primarily for standalone use. That "USB mic" feature is just sort of tacked-on as a selling point.

If you can afford it, I think you'd be better off with the smaller-sized pocket recorder you want (like a Zoom H1), and then get an inexpensive computer interface with a mic preamp for use with other microphones down the road. If you're planning on multitrack overdubs into the computer, a low-latency computer interface will do a better job here too.

Bill Burch
Aug-06-2011, 9:04pm
+1 on the H4n recorder. It does everything you want, plus it has XLR mic inputs with available phantom power for recording up to 4 discrete tracks. Very versatile, sounds great. Yes, it's bigger than some of the micro-sized recorders but the display is also larger and easier to read. I have one and love it. I use it to record my bluegrass jam class weekly and it never ceases to amaze me with the quality.

Bill

J.Albert
Aug-06-2011, 10:32pm
Don't forget the upcoming Zoom H2n, which I believe is due out next month...

- John

Baron Collins-Hill
Aug-29-2011, 3:59pm
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I ended up going with the H1n, because it was relatively inexpensive, simple, and a big plus is it fits in the pocket of my Calton case.

So far I am really happy with it, and I think the sound is great. My only complaint is it seems rather cheaply built, but as long as you take care of it, I'm sure it will last a long while. It would be nice if it had a metal body rather than plastic, but that would surely jack up the price.

here's a quick recording I did this afternoon on mando and tenor guitar. These are the raw tracks, all I did was line them up in audacity.

Thanks for the help, I love this place.
Baron

Fran
Aug-31-2011, 8:50pm
An undocumented feature of the H1 is that if you plug it to a mixer through its 1/8-in Line Out you get a stereo microphone!