PDA

View Full Version : New Two Point

Doug Edwards
Aug-06-2011, 3:01pm
I finally completed the two point I started in November, I also did two others during the same time. I have two more in the making, including a red spruce/KOA A5.

This one has a Red Spruce top and Maple sides, back, & neck with a KOA overlay. It is triple bound b/i/tortoise. It has a bound radius ebony fretboard with slotted diamond markers, plus mop side dots. Also a pearl nut, Schaller tuners, and inlaid headstock. I use a CA ebony bridge and a James tailpiece. First time for me to see a james tp, I like it a lot. Of course a matching maple finger rest and McClung armrest. So far this thing sound really good. I hope to get an mp3 fairly soon.

Jill McAuley
Aug-06-2011, 5:11pm
Absolutely gorgeous! What a looker!

Cheers,
Jill

Ed Goist
Aug-06-2011, 9:22pm
Congratulations, Doug! What a beauty!
We'd love to hear a clip or two.

Reid1
Aug-06-2011, 11:03pm
You know, usually I am not that impressed by pretty mandolins because looks aren't everything, however in this case I have to make an exception.
That is an absolute work of art! Beautiful!

Tavy
Aug-07-2011, 3:32am
That sure is a stunning looker - love the color you've achieved there!

Doug Edwards
Aug-07-2011, 6:54am
There's just something about those two points. Acually, I got the color a little darker than I had planned, but I'm very happy with it. This is my third two point and I plan to do a couple more with birdseye maple and KOA.

Skip Kelley
Aug-07-2011, 11:52am
Awesome mandolin Doug! I like the sunburst! I think it's perfect!

Doug Edwards
Aug-08-2011, 7:53pm
The mp3 (http://hillcountrystringworks.com/media/new2pnt.mp3) is up. Turn up the volume, I did not get it high enough.

Steve Sorensen
Aug-08-2011, 8:25pm
Lovely tone.

Steve

ShaneJ
Aug-11-2011, 12:14am
I was extremely fortunate last Saturday to bump into Doug at the music store in Fredericksburg when he brought this newly-born baby in.

Doug, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife in person. This mandolin was absolutely gorgeous. VERY nice tone as well. In the hands of a real player (not me), I'm sure she would be even more impressive. Congrats on a really nice instrument. I'm impressed! :mandosmiley:

Doug Edwards
Aug-11-2011, 1:54pm
It was great meeting you Shane. I would have loved to hang around a while and visit, but the wife and I were on the way to meet some friends at the theater.

ShaneJ
Aug-11-2011, 7:21pm
Me too, Doug. We were just passing through on our way home from San Antonio. Who was playing the Rock Box that night anyway?

Doug Edwards
Aug-11-2011, 7:43pm
Aside from the usual fantastik talent, they had a Dowap group from New York. They have been doing a funny but great take off on Motown, called Mootown. Motown with a countrykind of flair, including Mark Best on mandolin. Great stuff and highly recommended if anyone is in the Fredricksburg area.