PDA

View Full Version : "Monteleone" classified ad

Crowder
Feb-17-2004, 10:22pm
Am I the only one that's bothered by a classified that promises a Monteleone, only to actually be advertising a "Scotoleone"? That kind of stuff is bad enough on ebay without having it creep in here. Just my two cents.

Bob A
Feb-17-2004, 11:41pm
Well, you know, it made me read the ad. And heaven knows I can't afford a monteleone.

mandoJeremy
Feb-17-2004, 11:46pm
Sort of like typing in Gibson mandolin on Ebay and seeing what all comes up!

Scotti Adams
Feb-17-2004, 11:54pm
..yea..I was kinda taken aback by it...but in the grand scheme of things I dont think the seller meant any wrong doing...he got our attention...heck he would have probably gotten the same effect if he would have listed it as a Scoteleone...Ive also noticed the price of this piece has dropped 2 grand since it was first posted a few days ago...

J. Mark Lane
Feb-18-2004, 7:45am
It was a joke, fercryinoutloud.

GVD
Feb-18-2004, 8:39am
It didn't cost me anything and only wasted about 2 seconds of my day so I'm not really bothered by it.

GVD

Feb-18-2004, 8:43am
Its really a matter of perspective. #That first day you got one unsolicited e-mail you probably thought, "It only wasted 2 seconds of my day". #The problem isn't this one ad and yes it probably was just a joke and/or a clever way of getting people to read the ad. #However, imaginge if every ad on the classifieds started to use this technique. #We'd have to read every ad to see if it was really what we wanted.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-18-2004, 9:12am
I have written to the individual posting that and asked him to correct it and to refrain from doing likewise in the future. Bending the rules on the classifieds does not amuse me much. First off, the classifieds have a function that allows users to be notified by email for certain keywords. Deliberately tricking people into coming out to look at something that isn't as listed is simply deceptive. It's inappropriate and won't be tolerated.

Scotti Adams
Feb-18-2004, 9:37am
..thats exactly how I feel about it Scott....I just didnt want to get into some pissing match about what is ethical and what is the right way to post ads...coming from the boss is goog enough for me...

kuti
Feb-18-2004, 9:44am
Scott,

Thank you.

The whole appropriation of John's design and name has bothered me from the start -- particularly since it was announced with a rather flippant "hey, look what I copied" fanfare in an earlier post on the message board. I suppose imitation is a form of flattery, but not a particulary gracious one in this situation.

The classified ruse really miffed me last night and I, for one, do appreciate your "truth in posting" attention to this.

Call me a prude. Call me "old school." But this is the kind of stuff that has contributed to the diminishing attraction and value of the cafe for me. Yes, I'm one of the old-timers who remembers the "good old early days" and would welcome them back again in a heartbeat.

Kuti

Scotti Adams
Feb-18-2004, 9:57am
..well let me be the first to say...Welcome Back Kuti... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif