PDA

View Full Version : looking to purchas

mando-dad
Aug-04-2011, 2:47pm
Looking at an eastman md 515 . I'm a beginner would this be a good purchase $750 used . I started with a Savannah now I want something better any thoughts .

mrmando
Aug-04-2011, 3:16pm
Let's see ... list price is $1250, new discount price is $1125, or 90% of list. $750 is 60% of list, which is a decent price for a used instrument in good condition.

red7flag
Aug-04-2011, 4:04pm
The Eastman 515 is a fine instrument for the price. It has a shiny happy sound. So if you want a woody sound, this is not the instrument. It is easy to play. I suggest getting from a good dealer who will set it up. Set up, it is a fine sounding and playing instrument.

Folkmusician.com
Aug-04-2011, 4:36pm
would this be a good purchase $750 used?

I'll say that it is "probably" a good deal. The 515 is a very nice model. Assuming it is in good condition and has a nice setup, $750 is a good deal. If it needs any work, or the setup isn't great, it would not be a great deal. :)

unclelee
Aug-04-2011, 6:46pm
Man do-dad, If you haven't bought it yet, I have 515 for sale for $600 plus shipping. bought from the mandolin store couple of years ago. it is in pretty decent shape. i bought a f9 and really don't need the eastman now. lee

mandodan1960
Aug-04-2011, 7:32pm
It's easy to say Oh, just spend another $350.00,$250.00,$150.00 and harder to actually do especially in todays economy. I understand, but if it was me. Eastman 515 are 1000.00 new all day long. My advice is to forget about the scroll and get a Gibson A9. Two are for sale $900.00 and $1150.00(if I remember correctly) right here on the classifieds. They have a very nice woody bluegrass sound. You'll be going from your Savannah to a Gibson A9 and skipping the step where you try to unload your Eastman 515 to upgrade to a Gibson A9 or Gibson F9. Speaking from experience. The scroll is overrated its how you play that matters. I never heard anyone say "Man that guy can play to bad he only has an A model."

mandodan1960
Aug-04-2011, 7:37pm
Oh, On that $900.00 Gibson A9 in the classifieds if you inquire about it ask about fret condition. It says it was played "alot" so the frets may be worn. Refret is about 200.00

Marcus CA
Aug-04-2011, 8:16pm
Breedlove Quartz OF's often show up on the Classified in the $700-850 range. A lot of people don't like the satin finish on them, which (I think) makes them undervalued. To me, though, they sound, look, and play great --- especially for a mandolin in that price range.

pager
Aug-07-2011, 10:24pm
I love my Eastman. Bought mine in 2005. Also bought a Gibson F5G in 2005 too. I currently have a Collings and the Eastman. The Gibson went two Gibson's ago (bought a fern that I later sold too). So no, I don't accept the idea that if you buy the Eastman it will be a stepping stone to a Gibson A9 or F9. They sound different. Not better. Some of us don't like that Gibby sound. I am one of those people. You will find the sound you like. Maybe it will be the Eastman. Or a Weber. Or a Collings. You will know when you find it, but you may find like me that you love your Eastman and it will be a keeper.

Jillian

allenhopkins
Aug-08-2011, 12:26am
Q: Is $3.99 a good buy on this ham sandwich?
A: Why aren't you buying the liverwurst? Or the pastrami? Lotsa people love tuna...

New MD-515's seem to be going right around $1K discounted; whether $750 is a "good purchase" depends on its condition, whether a case is included, and whether you like the instrument after trying it out. Definite step up from your Savannah; solid woods, hand-carved, good fit and finish on Eastman instruments as a rule.

It doesn't sound like a Gibson, true, but you're describing yourself as a "beginner," and the MD-515 will be a much higher quality instrument to develop your skills on. As you progress, you can listen to, and try, a bunch of other mandolins, and decide whether you want a different sound or feel.

I have four Eastman instruments, and have found them quite satisfactory. They're among the quality Asian imports that make up the bulk of the mid-price-range mandolins. You're paying for the F-model shape, of course, which has little if any acoustic advantage, but is considered desirable, especially by those who play bluegrass.

Give the MD-515 a test run, and see what you think. It's your money.

Marcus CA
Aug-08-2011, 12:37am
Q: Is $3.99 a good buy on this ham sandwich?
A: Why aren't you buying the liverwurst? Or the pastrami? Lotsa people love tuna..

I'm going to disagree with you on this one, Allen.

The OP asked if this would be a good purchase for $750. I interpreted that two ways:

1) Is that a good price for an Eastman MD-515?
2) If you're going to spend $750 on a mandolin, is that model a good choice?

The OP also said that he wants something better than his current mando, and asked us for "any thoughts." So, I see that as inviting the discussion to go beyond ham.

Of course, final call on this one goes to mando-dad. :mandosmiley:

allenhopkins
Aug-08-2011, 12:46am
Looking at an eastman md 515...would this be a good purchase, $750 used? I started with a Savannah now I want something better; any thoughts?

Seems pretty clear to me. How an A-9, a Breedlove, etc. is a response to this question, I dunno. "Any thoughts" seems to me to apply to the question of the MD-515, not so much the universe of alternative mandolins.

But you're right; as we both said, it's OP's money, and OP's call.

dcoventry
Aug-08-2011, 1:08am
I'll weigh in:

Buy the dang 515 already!!!! Jeez, get it and get to pickin' it:mandosmiley:. It will neither be the begginning nor end of the world. If you don't like it, sell it.

You'll be buying another one soon anyway............;)

ColdBeerGoCubs
Aug-08-2011, 9:14am
I can recommend the 515. Mine surprises me with its sound and playability every time I pick it up. I was a bit unsure about buying it at first, but I have no regrets now.