PDA

View Full Version : H.A. Weymann & Son Bowlback Mandolin (circa 1900?)

JLyford
Aug-03-2011, 3:49pm
This used to belong to my Great Grandfather
(Schmid, Johann C, composer, violin#ist; b. Philadelphia, Pa., Aug. 7, 1870; d. Philadelphia, Pa., March 7, 1951. ASCAP 1936.)

It needs work, the bridge and nut have fallen off (I still have them and they appear to be undamaged) but there is some wood deterioration beneath the bottom right knob assembly.

I'm hoping to get this one in playing condition once I get some funds together...:whistling:

Don't know anything about when Great Grandad bought this one but the serial # is 5243 which seems pretty early from what I've read on the "Weymann id" thread...maybe late 1890s?

Wondering if anyone's got one of these w/a similar serial # and knows approx date, value or other info.

Jim Garber
Aug-03-2011, 4:30pm
It looks like it is in pretty good shape. The wear on the back of the peghead is minimal and cosmetic. The nut can easily be attached and the bridge should NOT be glued/attached to the top. Unless there are other issues, take it to a luthier and you may be surprised that it may not cost much (hopefully) to make playable again. If that is not the case, then at least you know how much money to save up to make it playable.

Fiffoff
Mar-09-2012, 2:39pm
Hi, I have a Weyman bowlback, serial # 5899 in amazing condition and lots of ornamentation. At the moment it is at my luthier to get 2 small separations on the back fixed, that's all.
Unfortunately I don't have any information about year of construction either. Would be glad, to know..
Does your mando also have the gilt tuners and this nice little ornament at the bridge?
Chris

Fiffoff
Mar-09-2012, 6:30pm
here is a pic of the detailed bridge..

Fiffoff
Mar-09-2012, 8:15pm
serial # 5899
don't know, how to edit, but it's serial # 5688! hard to read...

mandobassman
Mar-09-2012, 9:54pm
I have a Weymann mandolin that is serial# 6523. I was told here on the Cafe that it was probably 1890's or early 1900's. I belonged to my wife's great grandfather. Only problem I have with it is the bridge needs to move back slightly for intonation, but the bridge is sitting right next to the bend in the top. I can't move it any further without going behind the bend, which would be too far.

Fiffoff
Mar-10-2012, 5:04am
I have a Weymann mandolin that is serial# 6523.
last no. is 8 = 6528

Fiffoff
Mar-11-2012, 7:12am
OMG, getting older.....
Final announcement: 5699!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
read the right #, wrote the wrong.

mandobassman
Mar-12-2012, 2:32pm
last no. is 8 = 6528

I knew that! I did the same thing that Fiffoff did. Brain and hands were not in sync.

Fiffoff
Mar-13-2012, 9:08am
@mandobassman:
Could you post a pic of the decal please. I'm trying to collect as many different decal styles I can get of Weymann mandos.
Chris

mandobassman
Mar-13-2012, 8:51pm
@mandobassman:
Could you post a pic of the decal please. I'm trying to collect as many different decal styles I can get of Weymann mandos.
Chris

Here's the photo of the label you asked for. Looks like it's exactly the same as the one in the OP.

Fiffoff
Mar-14-2012, 9:36am
Here's the photo of the label you asked for. Looks like it's exactly the same as the one in the OP.

Thank you, that's true, matching exactly!
It's interesting, that there aren't any informations in the web bout early Weymann serial# Year of construction etc.

There are some similar W. labels on early mandos/banjos/guitars, saying High Grade instead of Highest Grade..

mandobassman
Mar-14-2012, 1:42pm
The photo of mine matches the OP's exactly. I am assuming the two photos you posted next to each other are yours. I wonder what the difference is between "high" and "highest" grade. Is it wood, is it inlay/binding? I also noticed the one on the right says "High Grade" at the top and "Highest Grade" at the bottom of the same logo.