PDA

View Full Version : Elkhorn F-5 #29

Elkhorn1
Aug-03-2011, 2:21pm
Here's a few pictures of the latest F-5 from my shop. I used a new oil varnish for this particular mandolin with a french polish top coat; it turned out really sweet with much love and patience. Some times I think finishes have a mind of their own. The sound of this one is really, really good; should be very strong when that Adirondack top gets happy! Cocobolo II is next off the bench.

yankees1
Aug-03-2011, 2:23pm
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trey Young
Aug-03-2011, 2:49pm
That's absolutely stunning! Great work Robb!

evmando
Aug-03-2011, 4:05pm
I really like the inlay on the headstock!

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-04-2011, 12:16am
Another stunner Robb. I love some of the woods that you use in your building.The Mango & Koa wood ones especially,the color & grain of those woods is awesome,
Ivan

Skip Kelley
Aug-04-2011, 8:53am
Hey brother Robb, awesome looking mandolin! I love the stain colors and that varnish finish is just perfect! Your comment about finishes having a mind of their own is so right! It is my biggest challenge. It looks like you have it figured out though! Nice work!!

Elkhorn1
Aug-05-2011, 7:50am
Thanks for all the kind comments! Yeah, Skip, the finish is definately a patience tester. It's like you get one part just how you want it, then the next thing you know there's another spot you aren't happy with. When it all comes together at the same time it's sweet! For those of you that do like the exotic end of the sprectum; I'll post a few shots soon of the next Elkhorn ready to be strung up here in the near future. Cocobolo back, sides and neck. California redwood top. Stay tuned!

Trey Young
Aug-08-2011, 12:51pm
Hey Robb,
Just rereading your initial post about the new varnish and was wondering, how is this varnish different from the ones you used in the past (ie the varnish on my #20)? Also, do you have any soundclips of this mandolin? Take care,
Trey

Elkhorn1
Aug-15-2011, 1:33pm
This instrument is finished in oil varnish; I've been using spirit varnish up until recently. Actually the instrument you have; #20, was the first mandolin I finished with the new varnish to decide if I wanted to continue using it in the future. (It's pretty nice to apply). I really like the look of the final result after french polishing; it rubbed out very nicely and is very rich looking. I'll be putting a sound clip of this instrument up on my website in the next day or two as time permits.

Trey Young
Aug-16-2011, 10:51am
Well, you learn something new every day! I thought the finish on that mandolin looked alot like mine. I think the term "rich looking" you used is a very accurated description of the finish on my #20. Can't wait to hear the sound clip and see the Cocobolo II!

SPG
Aug-16-2011, 11:21am
Absolutely gorgeous! Nice work Elkhorn.

pjlama
Aug-19-2011, 11:39am
Wow! I love the burst, great work. So what camp is it tone wise? I love #21, it's a killer.

Elkhorn1
Aug-28-2011, 3:31pm
Thanks again for all the nice comments! I've really been working hard in the shop to produce the best sounding and esthetically pleasing mandolins possible. I'm quite happy with the consistency of the tone and volume my instruments are producing; they get stronger and stronger. I've got a bunch of sets of master grade woods right now so things to come in the near future are going to be really good! Some exotics are also in the works. Thanks again Scott as always for making this unbelievable resource available to all of us; it really is very much appreciated!

Jeffrey Sawyer
Aug-29-2011, 12:59pm
How much does one of those cost??? If I have to ask does it mean I can't afford one! It looks like a million bucks! Beautiful work I have done some woodworking myself and that looks sweet.

Jeffrey

Trey Young
Aug-30-2011, 8:50am
Jeffrey,
I just double checked and there is an "In Stock" page at the Elkhorn Mandolins website www.elkhornmandolins.com which has pricing for available instruments.

Jeffrey Sawyer
Aug-31-2011, 10:08am
Trey thanks for the link I will have to save up a LOT of pennies but on the bright side I will be a much better player by the time I could afford one of those sweet looking mandolins!

Jeffrey