PDA

View Full Version : Wilson #13 WF-5 "DR"

craigw
Aug-02-2011, 8:55pm
This one was just strung up for the 1st time last week. It's a WF-5 "DR" (my 1st official Don Rigsby model) and features a bearclaw red (adirondack) spruce top, red maple back, neck and sides, radiused fretboard (1 3/16" at nut), Steve Smith bridge, Bill James tailpiece, Gotoh tuners (retrofitted with period proper screws), with oil varnish finish. Arching and graduations are based on Loar specs and the abbreviated pickguard is finished with automotive clearcoat for durabiliity and scratch resistance.
This is a powerful instrument with tone as clear as a bell and even up and down the fret board. It will make someone a fine instrument but not sure yet whether it will end up with Mr. Rigsby.

barry k
Aug-02-2011, 9:17pm
Nice Mandolin, but curious of why a Don Rigsby model. Was his Red Diamond or the 2 mandolins I had built him in the 90's the inspiration? Did Don have some creative input as to the treatment ? He is a super guy, and was a driving power for me to continue building back in the day. BK

craigw
Aug-02-2011, 9:36pm
Thanks Barry and I've really admired your work that I've seen posted here over the years. I'd met Don a couple years back but got reacquainted at last year's IBMA. He really liked a tortoise bound F-5 I had on display in the trade show and since his endorsement deal with Red Diamond was up he agreed to give my instruments an endorsement. It was my idea to create a Don Rigsby model after the instrument he acquired from me but he had some input in tweaking it a little with a few subtle changes, especially with the pickguard. And I agree, Don is a great guy as well a great player and super singer. They just don't get much better.

Skip Kelley
Aug-04-2011, 8:55am
Craig, that is one sweet looking F5! I love everything about it! I like the Cross you inlay in the button on the back of your mandolins! That speaks volumes brother!!