PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about this violin?

KristenN
Aug-01-2011, 3:22pm
Hi,

I have a mandolin and I was wondering if anyone on this forum can tell me anything about it? It looks handmade and the top says "Justice" on it. Its a toss up whether its been painted on there or it is the name of the mandolin.

Thanks in advance,

Kristen

Jim Garber
Aug-01-2011, 3:56pm
It does not look handmade to me. it looks like one of those wholesale budget catalog mandolins. Stores would buy them from the big factories and put their own names on it. I can't seethe peghead so no comment on the name "Justice."

KristenN
Aug-01-2011, 4:02pm
Here is the picture of the word "Justice."

Thank you again, Kristen

mrmando
Aug-01-2011, 4:06pm
It would go pretty well with one of these (http://themandolinhut.com/johnson_liberty_mandoiln_mf_350.htm), methinks.

lenf12
Aug-01-2011, 4:06pm
I can say with a high level of certainty that it is not a violin. ;)) Beyond that, I don't have a clue and will defer to Jim G.'s judgement.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

KristenN
Aug-01-2011, 4:27pm
Hi len, Everyone I have showed it to is puzzled. I took it to Hugo Helmer and they were puzzled too. The sales associate took it the owner to look at it and he didn't know exactly what it was. I guess its a little different?

Thank you.

Bill Snyder
Aug-01-2011, 7:19pm
Looks like an inexpensive factory mandolin to me. Painted on binding, MOT pickguard and painted on headstock label.

Jim Garber
Aug-01-2011, 9:09pm
I agree with Bill. The body shape does resemble some Stella flatbacks, one of which I own. Headstock is different but I think factories could easily change those for different distributors.

Crabgrass
Aug-01-2011, 9:43pm
I love these old mandos.... If it's not a well known name, it might not have a lot of value, but anything that survives half a century or so deserves a certain amount of respect IMO. If the folks here haven't heard of it, then it's unique for sure, though not necessarily desirable or valuable.

How does it sound?

allenhopkins
Aug-01-2011, 9:55pm
Mugwumps index is silent on "Justice" as a brand name. The instrument looks like one built for catalog or music store sales, with a proprietary label. Almost certainly American made, with the Pearloid pickguard, standard tailpiece, dyed-wood fretboard, etc. Could be Chicago or New York made, with "Justice" screened onto the headstock for sale by a local retailer (?). I tried Googling "Justice Music Co.," and found one in Houston, but it's a modern company that produces CD's, apparently. This one's been played a bit, from its condition; not "handmade," but a factory instrument from one of the many early-20th-century firms that built to order.

KristenN
Aug-03-2011, 1:46am
Well, I am not musically inclined but I took it to a mandolin player who thoroughly enjoyed playing it. He said it sounded great. Thank you for all your comments. :-)

Kristen