PDA

View Full Version : Julios Bensons F-4

Howie
Jul-29-2011, 3:42pm
Julius Bellson's F-4 is listed on ebay, I've played this and do not know who owns it now. I've spelled his name wrong, sorry, but needs posting. HB

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-29-2011, 3:50pm
That's great to hear. I saw it also and started a separate thread in the ebay forum:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?75614-Unique-single-point-Gibson-F4-(Julius-Belson)-on-ebay

Can you share some of the history behind this mandolin? I'm completely unfamiliar with both this specific mandolin as well as Julius Belson. Thanks

Jim Hilburn
Jul-29-2011, 5:51pm
Julius Bellson worked at Gibson during the McCarty years in management and sales I believe.
In 1973 he wrote the book "The Gibson Story" which is still one of the most complete histories of the company.

barney 59
Jul-30-2011, 3:22pm
1937 Gibson catalog has an advertisement with the pictures of the 7 people responsible for approving every Gibson and a big picture of Julius Bellson and his signature that says that HE personally approved everything that left the factory(sounds a bit like Lloyd Loar doesn't it?). In the other thread it is mentioned that Louie Bellson the drummer was Julius's brother. This is true, but Louie Bellson the father of Louie Bellson the drummer. So he was his uncle. Albert Bellson was another brother and a spokesman and endorser for Gibson and he was a teacher of Peter Ostruchko(sp). Julius also had something to do with the development of the Les Paul-- don't know what but Rob Lawrence refers to him in his Les Paul book which I have thumbed but actually not really read yet(sorry Rob). I've heard Julius referred to as a "Historian" for Gibson but he must have been much more than that.

Jim Garber
Jul-30-2011, 6:47pm
Richard Walz, an American classical mandolinist who lives in France studied with Albert Bellson many years ago. He said that Bellson once offered him his Loar but that Walz really wanted Bellson's Lyon & Healy which he would not part with. hah!!

Here is that page from the 1937 catalog mentioned above.

Spruce
Jul-30-2011, 7:01pm
Here is that page from the 1937 catalog mentioned above.

Wow...
Is Julius a dead-ringer for Charlie Sheen or what??

That ad is fabulous....!