PDA

View Full Version : American "A" Model

re simmers
Jul-28-2011, 4:53pm
What's the "better" of American made A models for $2,000-$2,500.......used or new?

Bob

sunburst
Jul-28-2011, 4:59pm
You can get a darned good new one, for that kind of $$, from many of the American builders you can find by clicking "Builders" at the top of this page. You can surely open up your choices quite a bit by considering used. The usual advice applies, play 'em, find what you like in your price range and grab it. You'll probably get a lot of suggestions for folk's favorite builders, and that's fine, it gives you ideas of mandolins to check out, but ultimately, it's your decision.
Personally, I like turkey and Swiss just as well as ham. ;)

yankees1
Jul-28-2011, 5:08pm
Old Wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period!

George R. Lane
Jul-28-2011, 5:51pm
I would suggest you talk to Mr. Hamlett. He builds a very nice American made A style.
You could also look at Webers, my personal favorite.

robert.najlis
Jul-28-2011, 6:40pm
Wow, Old Wave, Hamlett, either one sounds great. I played one Old Wave A5 at Mandolin Brothers and it was very nice (I no doubt would have bought it if it had a narrower nut width). I would also be interested in the Bulldog F5 econo model. But I have no way to comapre these 3 builders, they are just 3 that I would check out. I am sure there are more...

Ed Goist
Jul-28-2011, 8:10pm
Hi Bob:
Lots of great domestic A-style builders in your price range. You should end-up with a very fine instrument.
FYI, here are the 10 builders/mandolins I would look at for an "up to $2500" new A-Style mandolin build.
(Listed in alphabetical order):

BRW MA-H2
Bulldog A5
Carver A5
Collings MT
Girouard A5
Highland Strings A-Style
Old Wave A5
Pomeroy A5
Weber Bitterroot A
Weber Yellowstone A

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
-Ed

re simmers
Jul-29-2011, 7:39am
Thanks. After looking & listening to sound clips, and having played a few of the models mentioned, I think I have narrowed down new ones to a Collings or Pomeroy, unless I find a used one. I have heard good things about Ward Elliott's A models but can't find out much. All feedback is appreciated.

Bob

Jill McAuley
Jul-29-2011, 11:08am
Nice looking gloss top Collings MT in the cafe classifieds now for $1800, and an MT2 with a nice birdseye back for $2200 - NFI on my part, just pointing them out in case you hadn't noticed.

Cheers,
Jill

mandobassman
Jul-29-2011, 11:22am
Breedlove has a couple of nice models in that range. Their build quality is flawless. Also check out Morris. I have never played one but everyone raves about them. I would also agree on the Collings MT. They're amazing and you can often find them used on the Cafe Classifieds.

adizz
Jul-31-2011, 12:38pm
Lots of good choices in that price range. If it were my money I would go with the Highland strings A model. I know Jason has an A model available that you could get for around $2000 spruce, maple, varnish and sounds great. He makes one of the best modern sounding mandolins out there. Full sounding very deep and airy, if that makes sense, with a very shimmery high end. They are not the barking, biting kind of mandolin but they are as versatile as anything you'll get.

fernmando
Jul-31-2011, 8:57pm
Used Stiver if you can find one.

dcoventry
Jul-31-2011, 9:30pm
There are also a few nice Rigel A's the the classifieds. You could get one AND have some money left over.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-01-2011, 3:21am
If John Hamletts "A" styles are even on the same planet as his "F" models,they should be very well worth a look at. John builds some of the finest instruments i've seen on here,
Ivan