PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Question

Barefoot Bud
Jul-28-2011, 9:29am
I'm looking to put a pickup on the mando so I could play through some reverb and other soft effects. The one I was looking at is the K&K twin since so many are talking about it for the price. But I was wondering how well pickups like that work with distortion. Since the intent is to play with a clean, smooth sound, any odd noise would be a problem. Would the double strings affect the tone or cause an out-of-place sort of buzz? Does string guage make a difference?

Also, would I be able to install the K&K myself fairly easily or would this be more of a shop job? Any insight would be appreciated.

-Bud

ryrock
Jul-29-2011, 9:43am
I use the KK Twin with a Michael Kelly, run through a Fishman Loudbox Performer. In the effects loop of the amp I have a Boss ME 50 pedal (multi effects) which has more combinations of effects than I know what to do with. In a way, I feel the KK is a bit "honky" when reproducing the natural sound of the mando (may need a pre amp), but does do quite well with certain effects (delay, certain reverb, etc). It does not handle distortion all that well, but not bad considering it is an acoustic mando. I only use this arrangement when I am playing in a band with drums. I installed the KK twin with the external jack without any problem...very easy.

Big Joe
Jul-29-2011, 10:03am
The K&K is an excellent choice for both amateurs and professionals alike. It offers a nice reasonably natural tone that will not be a problem unless you don't know how to handle the feedback issues inherent with any acoustic instrument. Don't stand right in front of the monitors or turn around and face the speakers. If you do that it won't matter what kind of pickup you use it will cause distortion and feedback. The K&K will only reproduce what tone your instrument has, whether four, six, eight, or twelve strings. If your mandolin is out of tune you will certainly be able to hear that amplified and if your mandolin sounds bad acoustically it may sound a bit better plugged in, but it will still only reproduce what is there.

In my opinion the K&K is the best choice for mandolins and most acoustic guitars at the current time. Guitars are a bit different from mandolins so on the guitar it depends upon what the player wants to do with the guitar. We may make a different recommendation for certain situations. So far, for the mandolin it is our go to pickup.

Barefoot Bud
Jul-30-2011, 8:59am
Thank y'all! I really appreciate it.