PDA

View Full Version : My new "Jazz Mandolin" by Wyatt Fawley

banjophobic
Jul-28-2011, 12:44am
I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the sound of this instrument. It's performing beautifully, even though It's only been strung up for 3 hours, and the strings are comprised of 2 tenor banjo sets, which leaves it a tad light on the Bass side of the equation (gauge wise). Bass doesn't seem to be lacking volume ... but I'll change the strings in a few days. The gauges on it right now are .030 ... .023 ....016 ....009. What struck my wife, was how well the instrument projects.

The top is adirondack red spruce that I've had for 12 years. The back and sides are of mahogany. It features a "real" dovetail joint, and the neck and body are finished separately, which makes it nice if the neck ever needs pulled. Assembly was done with hide glue, except for the back, which was glued on with titebond. It's "X" braced, and the bridge is a fixed height like the early Gibsons, but of brazilian rosewood rather than ebony.

I'm especially pleased because it's the first mandolin I have built, unless you count a Stew Mac kit that I "almost" finished 22 years ago.

My tools are very simple. No dial indicator for measuring. I'm using a hand made graduation punch and drill bits to set that ... and a hand made caliper.

Tavy
Jul-28-2011, 3:17am
Hey, really beautiful work there!

Nice job :)

banjophobic
Jul-28-2011, 4:38am
I appreciate the compliment very much. Thank you. This instrument sounds so good I can't put it down.

My dentist wants to buy a piece of my artwork and I suggested this instrument. I need to figure out something else for him ... because I think this is "for me". It's way too good to just be "looked at" and not played.

Banjophobic

JEStanek
Jul-28-2011, 7:20am
Fantastic to see it all complete. Great work.

Jamie

pickloser
Jul-28-2011, 7:36am
Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. Looks like it might start playing jazz without an operator.

Jim Garber
Jul-28-2011, 7:50am
The gauges on it right now are .030 ... .023 ....016 ....009.

That is one beautiful instrument.

What is the scale length on this? I am curious why you would use such light gauge strings. Those are actually lighter than the ultralights we use on vintage bowlbacks. Also do you prefer the sound of steel strings like the tenor banjo ones as opposed to PBs or 80-20s?

Steve-o
Jul-28-2011, 7:57am
Incredible execution for a first build! That's a real art piece. Nice take on the pick guard and headstock.

Jim Garber
Jul-28-2011, 8:16am
For those who don't know him, Wyatt (http://sites.google.com/site/fawleybanjo/home)is a long time master builder of banjos, so while this may be his first mandolin, he has lots of experience in other luthiering fields.

mandopete
Jul-28-2011, 9:51am
Very cool looking - can you post a sound clip?

Jill McAuley
Jul-28-2011, 11:04am
What a thing of beauty!!

Cheers,
Jill

banjophobic
Jul-28-2011, 12:08pm
Glad you all approve... Yes, I am a luthier by trade, primarily banjos, but if you check out the thread in the buiders and repair section, you'll see my first violin hanging on the wall as well. The plates are almost ready to glue up on that one.

Working on getting a sound file up. I figured out that my computer can do it ... now I have to get Keith up here to pick some on it. I'm not good enough for prime time. How's this .... I didn't have it strung for 12 hours. I had an appointment with my dentist this morning, and he;d been kicking around the idea of buying it ... He checked it out and decided to buy it. I have plans to produce more later on, and the proceeds from the sale figure prominently into the plan.

The tenor banjo strings were used because it's all I had. Actually, they're all I thought I had. After fighting with those, I found a set of John Pearse mediums here. No need to change them out though. It's going into an art collection.

Banjophobic

Jan Ellefsen
Jul-28-2011, 4:25pm
I really love the look of that instrument. Looking forward to hear the sound clips.

JEStanek
Jul-28-2011, 7:04pm
I do hope you are able to make one that will be a player. As beautiful as it is, I would love to know it's voice is getting used.

Jamie

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-29-2011, 3:57am
Here´s the link to the build-thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?75204-First-mandolin-build-based-on-Epiphone-Jazz-guitar/page3

Yep, what a nice instrument. I surely would like a soundclip.

Kevin K
Jul-29-2011, 7:42am
very art deco.... and cool

Randi Gormley
Jul-29-2011, 10:23am
A beautiful thing to look at -- will your dentist at least pluck it occasionally? It seems a shame not to play it.

Ed Goist
Jul-29-2011, 10:39am
Magnificent!
One of the most aesthetically pleasing instruments I've seen.
Bravo!

banjophobic
Jul-29-2011, 4:50pm
Thanks all ..... I don't know that Doc will pick it, but he may get inspired. He has Dan Tyminski's "Wood and Steel" CD and loves it, so there's hope.

I have some sound files, recorded in wma format, but I don't know how to convert them to mp3 yet. I haven't had time to search out the answer to that one. Anyone know of a program to use to convert the file?

Banjophobic

dcoventry
Jul-29-2011, 7:58pm
http://www.wma-mp3.org/
http://download.cnet.com/Free-WMA-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2140_4-10494267.html

Start with these and you can always google "free .wma to mp3 converter". Try it, you'll like it!

banjophobic
Jul-29-2011, 8:23pm
Thanks ...... Here are the files.

The instrument sounds better than this. The recording adds a degree of murkiness.

I don't know the names of the tunes. Keith told me, but I forget what they were.

Banjophobic

banjophobic
Jul-29-2011, 9:30pm
I made a You Tube slideshow that you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Xf8lVp0RQ

Banjophobic