Here's a YouTube video of a duo playing Finnish folk mandolin:

NB7yyp9tw1s

Paul

hrlarson
Jul-27-2011, 6:23pm
Amazing!

Malcolm G.
Jul-27-2011, 6:50pm
Isn't it interesting to see an F5 used in that sense?

catmandu2
Jul-27-2011, 6:56pm
Delightful--two mandolins. I'm so used to hearing my scandi with fiddles--maybe even hardingfele--and then CBOM, guitar, even voice. I'm attracetd to those somber, darker tones (my new favorite instrument is bass clarinet--something I really enjoy about scandi folk music is its use of horns, often) and minor tonalities.

But this is delightful--thanks for posting.

Fstpicker
Jul-27-2011, 9:43pm
That was delightful indeed!

Jeff

DerTiefster
Jul-27-2011, 10:22pm
I thought the interplay between the two mandolins' voices was quite interesting and entertaining. Myself, I -do- like the oval-hole sound a lot, but I don't think I could pick a clear preference here. I also think that this is a great piece of music to play for someone who wants to hear the difference between ff- and oval-hole instruments. This link ought to be archived for that reason alone.

There are at least three other reasons for archiving it that occur to me: 1) player #1, 2) player #2, and 3) the tune. But you knew that, anyway.

Jim Garber
Jul-27-2011, 10:27pm
Interesting that the flattop player is playing a 10 string instrument. Thanks for posting this. Very nice.

Ed Goist
Aug-07-2011, 7:03pm
So beautiful!

Seppo
Aug-08-2011, 7:44am
Both guys are students from the Sibelius Academy folk music department in Helsinki
and also former students of Petri Hakala.
Petri Prauda plays an F5L Gibson which has been re-varnished by a Finnish luthier. Sounds a lot better than with lacquer finish.