PDA

View Full Version : Collings or ??

green-grass
Jul-26-2011, 5:47pm
Hi All, I'm about to buy my first ever mando and am keen to get your thoughts.

I play music professionally so i will likely want to jump straight in and get something great. Happy to lay down somewhere between $2k and $4k. [+ shipping etc etc] My main acoustic guitar is a Collings 00 which I love and every other Collings guitar I have had my hands on has been pretty damn good so my first thought was the Collings mandos. Probably an A style over an F for the bang for the buck ratio [although those Fs sure are pretty] and definitely an f-hole. I quite like the idea of the MT2. I would however love to know what other builders and models you would recommend.

My greatest obstacle is that I'm currently in Australia with no where local at all to even get my hands on the cheep stuff so I will definitely be looking to buy from the US [which I have successfully done in the past with guitars]. This is another reason why I was looking at Collings. I know how consistent they are with their guitars. Especially when it comes to playability.

I'm open to 2nd hand but not sure how keen I am for vintage given that I wont be able to put my hands on it before it's already too late.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Cheers. Mark

Markus
Jul-26-2011, 5:54pm
It's a good plan. While I have only played a half dozen or so of their mandolins, every one impressed me.

Bigtuna
Jul-26-2011, 6:02pm
Get a Duff (http://www.duffmandolins.com/) A, they are made in your backyard!

Rick Schmidlin
Jul-26-2011, 6:17pm
For the price your talking get a MT2

Rick

Mike Bunting
Jul-26-2011, 6:55pm
Get a Duff (http://www.duffmandolins.com/) A, they are made in your backyard!

That would be a great choice. The shipping costs from N.A. are pretty heavy I gather. I believe you could get a Stanley A, a Kimble A, a Daley A as well as the Collings A in that price range if you are buying from N.A. I'm sure that I've left some worthy names out too. What style are you playing by the way?

Barry Platnick
Jul-26-2011, 7:09pm
MT2: Great mandolin, good prices on used/excellent condition. No problem buying sight unseen, ultra consistent.
Good resale when you get MAS and need to trade up.

green-grass
Jul-26-2011, 7:15pm
..... What style are you playing by the way?

I guess i'm an acoustic folk pop singer songwriter. Lots of finger-style guitar etc. I will no doubt want to bring the mando in to that world but I also have a keen interest in bluegrass so I really would like to pursue that on mandolin.

Rick Schmidlin
Jul-26-2011, 7:47pm
MT2: Great mandolin, good prices on used/excellent condition. No problem buying sight unseen, ultra consistent.
Good resale when you get MAS and need to trade up.

Ditto,well said

Ed Goist
Jul-26-2011, 8:13pm
Collings MT2 (http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/?ID=43) or a used Duff A5 (http://www.duffmandolins.com/whats_on_bench.htm).
A wonderful choice to have...No wrong answer!
Let us know what you decide on and good luck!

Ben Milne
Jul-26-2011, 10:01pm
Where in Oz are you? I'm not surprised your looking at importing the instrument yourself, even with shipping and the duties rigmarole (comes into play once you're over $1K) it seems you'll probably be a ble to come out in front with the dollar the way it is and the local markups seem to be outrageously high. The cafe sponsor's all seem to be held in high regard for service and advice... Perhaps shoot a few emails to these folk to find out what's in stock and what they recommend.
(Click the cafe header to get to the front page, and browse the links that appear in the right hand bar)

Good luck and have fun along your quest.

bazooka47
Jul-26-2011, 10:19pm
I have played a Collings MF Deluxe for about five years (after waiting about 1.5 years for it to be built). I also own three Collings flat top guitars. Needless to say, I am a big fan of his instruments, and I really didn't think there was anywhere to go from the MF...

...until last week, when I took delivery of my new Kimble two-point. What a mando!!!

I ackowledge I am still 'honeymooning' with the Kimble, but it may well take the #1 spot. The only thing it lacks from the Collings is a scroll.

It was more $ than your budget, but not that much more. Plus, I have seen a couple used Kimble two-points that sold in the mid-high 4's. The A's may be more affordable.

green-grass
Jul-26-2011, 11:31pm
Kimble two-point[/B]. What a mando!!!

Wow!! the Kimble's look great. I love the two-point shape a lot. They may have me reaching under the seats of my car looking for lost coins to extend my budget though.

randygwatkins
Jul-26-2011, 11:49pm
I have a Stanley "F" style for sale in your price range if you are interested.
If so, email me at randygwatkins@gmail.com for pics and soundfile.
Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-27-2011, 12:33am
Don't neglect to take a look & listento the Northfield Mandolins either, on the Northfield website.Right now they're getting some of the best press i've seen on ANY Mandolin on here - have a look at the Northfield Mandolin thread,
Ivan
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66704-Northfield-mandolins

GRW3
Jul-27-2011, 12:57am
If you like Collings guitars you will probably like their mandos too. There is a very strong family tone to their instruments. While it is not one that suits me, you'd have to be a dolt not to recognize a quality instrument like they make. Also the build quality on Collings is uncanilly consistent. Each one looks to have come out of the 'perfect mando' machine.

Big Joe
Jul-27-2011, 6:47am
I don't think you could do better than a Duff, especially since you should be able to get one in Australia and would avoid all the shipping and duties. Paul makes an incredible mandolin and would be great for nearly any style music and great for bluegrass. In my opinion it would be a better choice than the Collings.

Capt. E
Jul-27-2011, 8:43am
I would listen to Big Joe. Duff sounds like a good way to go. Considering the music you play, I think an oval hole may fit for your musical style better. I suppose Duff makes an oval hole model as well as ff hole models. If you really want a Collings, I would look at the MT2-O (oval hole). The ones I have played were fabulous.

Lil Chubs
Jul-27-2011, 9:38am
I am the very happy owner of a 2004 Collings MF, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. For the money, you just can't beat it. Keep an eye out on the classifieds for an MF, and you can probably snag one for between 3 and 4k.

It's just a personal preference, but I much prefer the F model over any A, although I've played some really great sounding A's. From all I can gather, there's not a ton of difference in playing a MF or the much more expensive MF5....just more bells and whistles.

My vote, hands down, is scooping up a Collings MF. Incredible mandolins! :mandosmiley:

John Gardinsky
Jul-27-2011, 11:25am
In Oz..Duff without any second thoughts. Very strong mandolins made by a good guy.

Big Joe
Jul-27-2011, 12:02pm
Yes, let me clarify myself a bit. For the kinds of music you indicate you like to do and because you are in Australia I would recommend the Duff. Collings are good mandolins and I don't think they are not good, just due to the situation I felt the better choice may be the Duff. Paul certainly makes a great mandolin, though I have no clue what his pricing is.

Trey Young
Jul-27-2011, 12:03pm
Lots of great options in that price range, especially for an A style. Here's an Elkhorn A-5 in the classifieds that fits in your price range. I'm on my second Elkhorn right now (had an A-5 and bought an F-5 earlier this year) and I have been very happy with both. Good luck with your search!
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=49214&query=retrieval

Ed Goist
Jul-27-2011, 1:10pm
...snip...I felt the better choice may be the Duff. Paul certainly makes a great mandolin, though I have no clue what his pricing is.

Pricing for new Duff mandolins (http://www.duffmandolins.com/product_catalogue.htm).

Though I haven't played many mandolins (maybe 30?) in my short time around the instrument, I can say without hesitation that the best sounding and playing mandolin I have played was Rebecca Lovell's Duff F5 (it's the mandolin in my avatar).

mandoBenn
Jul-27-2011, 1:31pm
The MT2 would be awesome...Collings or Nugget mandolins are excellent if you're looking to throw down the money

John Duncan
Jul-27-2011, 2:04pm
I guess gettin a mandolin from the states might be tough but, check out a Passernig A. (http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins/passernig.html) I have played a couple of Passernig mandos and really loved em. I feel like they are pretty close to the mandolins that Ellis makes.

Mandobar
Jul-27-2011, 2:14pm
Shipping instruments overseas is getting trickier.

Capt. E
Jul-27-2011, 2:25pm
I have actually been able to compare a Passernig with an Ellis and you are right, the Passernig is pretty close. The Ellis still beats it, though.
I was going to suggest he look for a used Ellis A. They go for around 4K (new ones are just over 5K).

bfc
Jul-27-2011, 6:52pm
Peter Coombe is building some nice A style mandolins in Bega NSW that fit your budget, have a look on his website.
cheers Bruce

mandroid
Jul-27-2011, 9:25pm
+1 ... Mark Should talk to Paul , or Peter.. WA and the east, like NSW are still a ways apart .
but a lot closer than California And Vermont..

Bradley
Jul-27-2011, 9:43pm
I will put another vote in for an Ellis A model.....Hey what can I say :)

But if you really are set on a Collings please find a MT2V thats used, they are a few more bucks than a standard MT2 but well worth it.

Looking at the prices of those Duff mandolins, I had a flash back when they first were seen in my area, and everyone was like "Mandolins from Australia....no way". I havent played any recent ones but man they sure look GREAT.

John Soper
Jul-27-2011, 9:57pm
Love my Duff!

toddjoles
Jul-28-2011, 12:41am
Here's a list of Austrailian builders. You should be able to find one closer to home, possibly custom built in that price range. http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/builders/searchdb.cgi?uid=default&view_records=1&keyword=Australia

Potosimando
Jul-28-2011, 1:05am
Yes, do check out Australia's Peter Coombe. He makes killer-sounding A5's, finished in varnish (I owned one and it impressed my mando friends and me immensely...it sold in just a matter of days when I sent it to Cotten earlier this year--the fellow chose the Coombe over quite a few very impressive mandolins that were at Cotten then).

If no Coombe A5's are available, then I can give an enthusiastic thumbs up for the MT2V, a mighty fine mandolin (the MT2V and Coombe A5 sound a lot alike to my ear, but the Coombes are less $).

The one Ellis A5 I know well sounds even richer and more professional than either the MT2V or the Coombe, but the Ellis A costs more. If you can afford an Ellis A, then that would be my strongest recommendation.

green-grass
Jul-28-2011, 5:03pm
thank you to everyone for their input. all the advice has been really helpful and is much appreciated. i now have quite a bit of homework to do. so many great builders. some of the ausie builders [that i didn't know about] have some beautiful looking instruments that i will definitely be checking out. time to get serious. Cheers, mark

Psyberbilly
Jul-28-2011, 6:46pm
I guess gettin a mandolin from the states might be tough but, check out a Passernig A. (http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/mandolins/passernig.html) I have played a couple of Passernig mandos and really loved em. I feel like they are pretty close to the mandolins that Ellis makes.

I have had mine for over a year now , just love it every time I pick it up . While he went for an F instead of an A model , Doyle Lawson has a Passernig now .

peter.coombe
Jul-29-2011, 6:52pm
Shipping instruments overseas is getting trickier.

Very true, especially to and from the USA. I am about to ship a mandola to the USA soon and am buried in this Lacey Act paperwork nightmare. Same nightmare applies to exports from the US. Shipping costs are also ridiulous. It used to be easy and reasonably economical.

Good advice about Duff, but you would need to spend $1000 over your budget. I can do an A5 for a bit less than $4000 delivered, but just sold the last one I had for sale so there would be about a 6 month wait. Can also use some Aussie timbers if that appeals.

Ben Milne
Jul-29-2011, 10:50pm
Definately some great suggestions thus far... It would help to know where in Australia you are, and if build time is an issue or if you want something off the shelf ready to go.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-30-2011, 1:28am
I've mentioned on here before that a few years back i had the chance to play a fellow member's Collings MT Mandolin. It was as sweet a sounding Mandolin as you could ever wish for,but due to the low action,a bit underpowered.That said,the owner of that MT now has an Ellis "A" style which they love. Tom Ellis is one of my very favourite builders & if you could find a 'used' "A" style,then i'd certainly go for that. But Big Joe has a point & Oz also has a great builder in Paul Duff. If you take a look at his site,you'll see some very beautiful instruments indeed,
Ivan;)

pager
Jul-31-2011, 12:25pm
I have a Collings. It is OK. Never blows my skirt up. That is just a personal thing I realize. I am very impressed with Ellis. I'll probably sell the Collings F soon and go for an Ellis. I have never really connected with the Collings.

jillian

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-01-2011, 3:28am
From Jillian - "Never blows my skirt up.". Very funny !.:)) I wonder what the male equivalent of that expression would be ?. "Never blows up my trouser leg ??",
Ivan:confused: