PDA

View Full Version : Mcclanhan mandolin

l.thompson
Jul-23-2011, 11:27pm
Howdy,i've been playing banjo since 1982 and really love the sound of the mandolin.while on vaction i got to visit with master builder Jonathan Mcclanahan.I love the tone of his mando's and he is currently buliding me one.he's one great guy to deal with.and very passionate about his craft.i'll post picts.as i get them.

Karl Keating
Jul-24-2011, 12:03am
His domain name expired June 18, so his website is down. Did he mention to you whether he was planning to reinstate it? If not, do you have any reason to think his shop may not be around for the long term?

JonZ
Jul-24-2011, 1:01am
It is great that you got to spend some time with him in person. I only spoke with him on the phone--nice guy.

I am very happy with the mandolin that he built for me. I had a chance to visit Gruhn's recently, and played most of their mandolins. I think the McClanahan compared very favorably to their stock.

I would not be surprised if many builders in the under $5K range are struggling. That was the price point where "regular people" could scrape together enough for a "luxury mandolin", and lately a lot of regular people are foregoing luxuries. I wish all these luthiers the best of luck, because there is really a fine group producing in that range, and it would be a shame to lose any of them.

One interesting thing about Jonathan is that his shop is the epitome of "no frills". It is literally a shed behind his trailer. So I would guess that even if he has to supplement his work with a "day job" until the economy stabilizes, his shop will keep going.

Ted Eschliman
Jul-24-2011, 2:19pm
For your curiosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZhG8p1jMA

Fstpicker
Jul-24-2011, 9:45pm
That is really a cool video. He's the kind of guy I'd love to build a mandolin for me.

Jeff

George R. Lane
Jul-24-2011, 10:35pm
Interesting sidenote. The host of the show, Joe Elmore, also hosts the Spike channel's Horesepower TV. I can't help it I love mandolins and screaming engines.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-25-2011, 3:18am
I'm a great admirer of Jonathan's work. His 'Trinity' model is a joy to behold,
Ivan 74786

Mandolin Architect
Jul-25-2011, 10:30am
Hey Fellows! Jonathan McClanahan here! I am in business and business is good!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been having some web difficulties with my web designer and hosting etc......... Last year was a great year for me but this year is even better. I recieved three orders last week alone. Some real exciting things are happening at McClanahan mandolins! My website will be back up this upcoming week so be looking and let all of your mandolin cafe friends know for me OK! I would like to add on another note considering my pricing. I am not saying this to belittle any other maker, but I will tell you that the biggest mistake people make in ordering an instrument is when they first look at a Luthiers shop. You can have all of the scientific CNC computers, tools etc... in the world but if you don't know the physics behind vibrations and wood, you won't build a quality instrument no matter what your shop looks like. I know luthiers that use computerized CNC machines that do most of the work for them and they get $10,000-$20,000 for their mandolins. I must ask? Did you pay for an instrument that a computer made or was it made by a luthiers own hands? I personally prefer to make my customers mandolins with my own hands. God Bless, and keep pickin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonathan McClanahan

JonZ
Jul-25-2011, 11:08am
I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.