PDA

View Full Version : Wider Necked Mandolins

markdmoski
Nov-14-2004, 8:32pm
Which makers produce an off-the-shelf mandolin with a width at the nut greater than 1-1/8 or 1-3/16.

I know Gibson makes the F-5G Wide at 1-1/4. Any other makers?

I just sold a Rigel A+ oval hole and a Washburn MS-1 which both had the 1-1/8 spacing. I loved the sound of both (and the design and finish of the Rigel), but my fingers need greater spacing.

I wouldn't mind eventually having an oval hole and an F- style, but right now just want to find a great sounding comfortable instrument to play of either type.

First post for me here. Very interesting reading as a lurker.

Thanks.

MD

Jim Rowland
Nov-14-2004, 8:46pm
MD,the first couple of bluegrass style mandolins I built had significantly wider necks. I naively thought I was improving the breed. The first dozen or so pickers I handed them to were uniform in their reactions. "..neck's big enough for a guitar";"why did you stick that Louisville slugger on there" etc. Unless otherwise requested,I think
most builders on spec stick to the traditional measurements.
Jim

mad dawg
Nov-14-2004, 8:52pm
He's hard to get ahold of as of late since he is no longer on the web, but Michael Spicer of Hamilton, Ontario, makes flat-top mandolins with necks that are 1-5/16" at the nut.

sunburst
Nov-14-2004, 9:58pm
MD,the first couple of bluegrass style mandolins I built had significantly wider necks. I naively thought I was improving the breed.
I did that too. The most common coment was "the neck feels a little big".
I kept making them smaller 'til hardly anybody mentioned the neck, or else said "hey! I like the neck!".
Guess what? 1 1/8" at the nut.

I'm sure there are makers that build a bigger neck as a standard size, but I'm even more sure that a lot of builders will build you a mandolin with whatever size neck you want.

markdmoski
Nov-14-2004, 10:38pm
Thanks for the replies.

The dealer where I bought the Rigel pretty much told me the same thing - most players, even with large hands and fingers prefer the standard 1-1/8 neck.

I remember reading that some old Gibson A models had wider necks, although I've never seen one.

Chris Baird
Nov-14-2004, 10:43pm
I've found a lot of guitar crossover mandolinist prefer a wider neck, 1 3/16, but only if the profile is thinned down. A wide neck with the normal profile feels chunky.

Michael Lewis
Nov-15-2004, 1:34am
Check out Weber, Mid Mo, Breedlove, etc.

Ancient
Nov-15-2004, 11:02am
I play a Breedlove Rogue and it has a wider neck. I really like it.

John Flynn
Nov-15-2004, 11:11am
My Rigel A+ Deluxe, which is 3 years old, is 1 3/16" at the nut. I like a wider neck also and that neck is very comfortable for me. Mine was "stock," and in any case, I am pretty sure Rigel will make you whatever you want special order.

Another concept worth mentioning is string spacing. There are some mandos that have a 1 3/16" or wider nut, but the string spacing is set the same as it would be for 1 1/8." That defeats the purpose. My luthier says, "Use all the real estate you own!"

Wando
Nov-15-2004, 12:42pm
Interesting, jflynnstl. #I have a Rigel that I play all the time and a Weber that I rarely play because of a 1/16" difference in width. #It doesn't sound like much, but I sure do notice it. #I've been thinking of having the string spacing on the Weber increased enough to change the string width to 1 3/16" -- it looks like there is an extra 1/32" on the sides. #This could open things up MAS-wise, because I no longer consider anything less than 1 3/16" across. #Has anyone tried this yet? #I figure nut and bridge notching would need to be changed.

John Flynn
Nov-15-2004, 2:14pm
I had a new nut installed on my 1 1/8" nut Parsons to get wider string spacing. There did not seem to be any need to do anything to the bridge. It was a very satisfactory operation. It still doesn't play like my Rigel, but it was an improvement.

acousticphd
Nov-15-2004, 2:55pm
I'm pretty sure that the Old Wave oval-hole styles (A and C#) have wider-than-standard nuts, more like the vintage Gibson width. My C# neck looks and feels wider, by at least a 1/16, but I don't know the official measurements and the Old Wave webpage doesn't say.

musicofanatic
Nov-16-2004, 2:09am
I can certainly appreciate your situation. I had a wonderful '78 Givens F that just sounded better and better all the time, but I eventually dumped it because of my discomfort with it's skinny neck. This is what is leading me to build one. Roger Siminoff can adjust his neck carver to allow for a 1 1/4" nut. Good luck.

Steve L
Nov-16-2004, 9:02am
I really love the feel of the Breedlove necks. I bought a KF over the summer and it plays like a dream. I am a crossover player from the guitar and don't play bluegrass, so take that into account.

markdmoski
Nov-17-2004, 11:53pm
Thanks Steve L and others who have mentioned Breedlove as an option.

I am also primarily playing guitar, so I will just have to go and find a Breedlove to try out.

The other option is to finally finish my OM kit and move on to a mandolin kit with a wider neck !