PDA

View Full Version : Band Members Need to Build Individual Brands

NewsFetcher
Jul-20-2011, 6:00pm
From Mandolin Moments web site - Band Members Need to Build Individual Brands

Read article... (http://mandolinmoments.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=1909&cntnt01returnid=15)

http://www.mandolincafe.com/images/mandolinmoments.gif (http://mandolinmoments.com/)

journeybear
Jul-20-2011, 9:08pm
Some interesting points. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, as I am trying to devise ways to grow my band's fan base and presence in the local musical community without indulging in self-aggrandizing. This is difficult for me, as I tend to be humble, too humble for my own good, particularly in a field which thrives on self-promotion, in which such activity is pretty much expected.

It was tough to figure out how to promote the first video produced by my band, as it was a solo rendition of Hendrix' "Star Spangled Banner." It is up there with both the band name and my own, and I also included the other members and the videographer in the description, as I felt they deserved to be mentioned. They asked me to remove that, as they thought that was self-promotional overkill, and also the videographer is a bit web-shy.

I guess every instance is different. I want to do what is best for the band, but also for myself. I have built up fans through my involvement in other bands, as have the other members, and I have to be careful about promoting this band to fans of my other bands. After all, this is different music, and also, they may be fans of the other members of the other bands, and maybe not so much of me at all. ;) And finally, if the sad day should come that this band breaks up, it makes practical sense to have maintained an individual brand within the band context. It seems wise, though, to be careful not to do any of this in such a way as to irritate the other members, or that sad day may come sooner than one would like.

Tricky stuff, eh? One always enters into a band hoping that everything will go well, but one must be mindful of practical considerations. The author makes some good points. It is probably best to be judicious and considerate of the other members, and concentrate on the facets of the band within one's concentration. It does seem that members that go on to successful solo careers after a breakup are often the main songwriter or the front man, whether that means the singer or the lead instrument player. In other words, members who have been a focal point for the band. Honestly, as a mandolinist, I am usually grateful to be asked to join a band to begin with, and tend to be fiercely loyal. So the dilemma I mentioned earlier makes me very uncomfortable, and I may go a bit overboard seeking approval as a result. I envy musicians with bravado and swagger; these considerations don't seem to bother them a bit - and their charisma tends to attract fans naturally as well.

Oh well. I suppose this just gives me more motivation to play as well as I possibly can! :mandosmiley: