PDA

View Full Version : New Hamlett mandolin

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 5:42pm
Strung this one up yesterday. The red maple back and neck woods were customer-supplied, as was the red spruce top. The side wood is some very old red maple that I've had for years just waiting for something it would match.

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 5:46pm
Gold Waverly tuners with pearl buttons and gold Hamlett tailpiece.

Glassweb
Jul-19-2011, 5:50pm
superb John... beautiful mandolin!

Charles E.
Jul-19-2011, 5:50pm
Beautiful John! Do you cast those tailpices yourself?

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 5:51pm
The back wood looks very curly under the oil varnish. The frets are Evo Gold.

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 5:53pm
Brian Dean casts the tailpieces for me.

Tripp Johnson
Jul-19-2011, 5:56pm
Gorgeous!

Chris Biorkman
Jul-19-2011, 6:10pm
Super-clean. Beautiful work.

Steve Sorensen
Jul-19-2011, 10:18pm
Love the wood, the inlay, the finish, the craftsmanship. Love everything about it.
Steve

amowry
Jul-19-2011, 10:59pm
Wow, that's a beauty, John!

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-19-2011, 11:36pm
Just superb John.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-20-2011, 1:18am
John - You keep coming up with some of the most visually stunning Mandolins i've ever seen.The colour / shading that you obtain is awesome. I still have a crush on the 2 'firewood' Mandolins you made,but this one's making me take more than one sneaky peek !.Other than that i can't think of anything to say,
Ivan;)

Scotti Adams
Jul-20-2011, 4:54am
Very, very nice John.

Dale Ludewig
Jul-20-2011, 6:18am
Beautiful.

JEStanek
Jul-20-2011, 7:43am
I'm always excited to open a new Hamlett Instrument thread. Excellent work, John and congratulations to the new owner!

Jamie

Randi Gormley
Jul-20-2011, 7:50am
Elegant -- stunning --

pickloser
Jul-20-2011, 7:51am
That is a stunningly beautiful instrument. The staining is perfect. The tailpiece looks so right. The style of your inlaid name is very attractive. I'm exceedingly impressed.

I love another...but there is lust in my heart. Lots and lots of lust.

crazymandolinist
Jul-20-2011, 8:06am
It must be a special feeling when a customer receives such a nice instrument made from "his" wood.

Skip Kelley
Jul-20-2011, 9:09am
John, that mandolin looks awesome!!

Andrew DeMarco
Jul-20-2011, 9:12am
Phew.......

Mark Walker
Jul-20-2011, 9:25am
John - SWEET! That is just the epitome of 'elegant simplicity.' Not too gaudy, and very, very classy!

Keep up the great work!

Jim Rowland
Jul-20-2011, 10:30am
Just keep pecking away at it,John....you'll get the hang of it.
Jim

nobullmando74
Jul-20-2011, 11:21am
Wow! that is purrrrrrrrrrty!

tree
Jul-20-2011, 11:25am
I really like John's style of sunburst, where you can see the figure in the wood all the way out to the edge, yet the overall visual impression of sunburst is as strong as if it were more traditional (opaque, no figure visible around the margin). Bet the owner is one more happy camper.

jackc
Jul-20-2011, 6:04pm
Wow John, that's uber-nice. Just beautiful. And to think it only took you four days to make it. Where'd your customer get that wood I wonder...

DerTiefster
Jul-20-2011, 6:44pm
Encourage the new owner to let us hear his new lady sing.

bernabe
Jul-20-2011, 7:51pm
awesome

sunburst
Jul-20-2011, 10:54pm
Where'd your customer get that wood I wonder...

I guess you'll have to ask him! I'm told the spruce is from the actual, genuine, official Adirondacks!!

wwwilkie
Jul-21-2011, 2:07am
So beautiful. And with the Brian Dean tailpiece, does it get any better?

jackc
Jul-21-2011, 7:07am
I guess you'll have to ask him! I'm told the spruce is from the actual, genuine, official Adirondacks!!

Actually, I think that wood was from a siding mill in Maine. It was cut as lap siding for a structure. If you've worked with siding in home-building, you know that they cut it as a wedge, with a center strip left intact, just like some sawn billets for violins, etc. It came in a 12' length, perfect to be cut into mando tops. This particular batch was really well-quartered, and seemed pretty stiff. But I'm not the wood expert...it came from my friend Michael Reid.

But I did give you that other piece of Red Spruce that was from a deadfall in the Adirondacks. Whichever one you used, it looks mahvelous, and I'm sure it will sound great. Hey, it's a Hamlett.

Bill Snyder
Jul-21-2011, 7:39am
So beautiful. And with the Brian Dean tailpiece, does it get any better?

It is a Hamlett tailpiece. Mr. Dean just does the casting for John. John has been using this same design in all the years I have been a member of the Cafe.

Denny Gies
Jul-21-2011, 7:47am
Beautiful work John. The "dawgs" are still doing well, thanks.

Spruce
Jul-21-2011, 2:08pm
Nice!

JEStanek
Jul-21-2011, 3:39pm
Jackc, am I correct in asuming this is your mandolin? I also really liked the last line of your post. It could practically be a T-shirt motto for Hamlett mandolins along the lines of Only a X is good enough. "Hey, it's a Hamlett." It explains it all. :)

Jamie

Dan Voight
Jul-21-2011, 3:46pm
Great coloring. Fine work as usual

jackc
Jul-21-2011, 5:02pm
Jackc, am I correct in asuming this is your mandolin? "Hey, it's a Hamlett." It explains it all. :)

Jamie

Jamie, this mandolin will probably be the subject of a custody battle. Another mandolin-playing friend, Barry Lawson, and I asked John to make us a mandolin. We split the cost. Now, who gets the mandolin? Could make for a funny Mandolin Cafe thread ...

Maybe I'll make John some T-shirts and bumper stickers.

JEStanek
Jul-21-2011, 5:16pm
Oh! Good luck you two. There are far worse things to fight over but, lets hope you two can settle it peacefully (or have John build another ;) )

Jamie

DerTiefster
Jul-21-2011, 6:16pm
Oh, no....I have the perfect solution: whichever of you two makes the best sound clip and posts it gets to keep it.

wwwilkie
Jul-22-2011, 1:28am
Sorry, you are correct.

It is a Hamlett tailpiece. Mr. Dean just does the casting for John. John has been using this same design in all the years I have been a member of the Cafe.

yankees1
Jul-22-2011, 6:40am
Jamie, this mandolin will probably be the subject of a custody battle. Another mandolin-playing friend, Barry Lawson, and I asked John to make us a mandolin. We split the cost. Now, who gets the mandolin? Could make for a funny Mandolin Cafe thread ...

Maybe I'll make John some T-shirts and bumper stickers. Could result in a strained relationship!

DerTiefster
Jul-22-2011, 7:08am
The Hamlett might become a pair of Cutlets? Please, say it isn't so....
With a bit more prior planning, each could have had a piccolo.

Don Grieser
Jul-22-2011, 9:47am
Beautiful work and interesting ownership arrangement. Hope it all works out.

toddjoles
Jul-22-2011, 3:54pm
Where's the like button? :grin: