PDA

View Full Version : Martin Guitars??

Willie Poole
Jul-19-2011, 1:36pm
Sorry but this doesn`t have any mandolin content...

Does anyone know the exact year that Martin started installing an adjustable truss rod in the necks of the D-28`s? It can be adjusted by inserting an Allen wrench in through the sound hole....I took in a `73 for some small repairs and it doesn`t have one and it sure needs the neck adjusted somehow, more than I care to undertake, BTW...This fellow says he is the original owner so I will suggest to him that he contact the factory for these repairs....:mandosmiley:

Willie

Jim Garber
Jul-19-2011, 1:54pm
A quick search says 1984 was the first year for adjustable truss rods.

Rodney Riley
Jul-19-2011, 1:57pm
Or at least have him check online for a Martin certified repair tech. Took mine to have action lowered and new instrument set-up to the person listed by them at no charge. (Bought the guitar at a GC... unpack, string it, hang on the wall and sell... long before reading the merits here of buying from a dealer that actually does set-up work.)

jim simpson
Jul-19-2011, 2:17pm
I had a 1984 D-28 with non-adj. truss rod, sold it and the buyer eventually had it's neck re-set. He said it remained his favorite Martin. I also had a 1985 HD28, it had an adjustable neck.

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 2:22pm
Early 70s Martin dreadnoughts either need a neck re-set or have had a neck reset. As with any "rule", there are exceptions, but if it needs a neck re-set as well as a neck adjustment, a piece of carbon fiber rod can be inserted into the square steel tube used in the 70s to add stiffness to the neck. That, along with a re-fret including planing the fingerboard, can make those guitars very playable again. A Martin-authorized repair center can do all that, and Martin will pay for most of it under warranty to the original owner.

allenhopkins
Jul-19-2011, 4:13pm
When I traded in my 1977 HD-28 in 2004, I was informed by Dave Stutzman (http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/) that it was due a neck re-set; my 1970 D-41 is limping along with a barely visible bridge saddle, to salvage playable action for a bit longer before it gets its trip to the guitar hospital. Martin's stubbornness in refusing to install an adjustable truss rod for 150 years (well, at least for 60 years after truss rods became common in the mid-1920's) is one of the fascinating quirks of our #1 guitar company.

When my 00-28G nylon-string was re-made into a 00-42 in the 1980's, the luthier who did the rebuild installed a soundhole-adjustable truss rod; there's a "tunnel" right through the brace above the soundhole to accommodate the Allen wrench. Better late than never, I guess, though I imagine Martin-licensed repair shops have been making good buxx doing re-sets for the past century...

almeriastrings
Jul-19-2011, 4:27pm
Truss rods (present or not) have nothing to do with the need for neck resets. All they do is control relief, the 'bow' along the neck. The need for a neck reset is due to changes in overall geometry of the body and neck joint area. Incidentally, I have an early '39 D-18 (1 3/4" nut) with a 'T' bar, a 1950 D-28, and also a wartime '45 D-18 with an ebony reinforcement rod. Neck relief on all three remains perfect, though they have had neck-resets in the past. Modern guitars with adjustable truss rods also require neck resets in due course. The older examples, assembled with a dovetail joint, and hide glue are actually easier and quicker to reset than many modern guitars.....on a lot of Pac Rim instruments, it can be economically non-viable to even bother. They are stuck together with all kinds of stuff and then lacquered over in one go. The old ones are built for ease of maintenance from the outset.

Big Joe
Jul-19-2011, 6:42pm
We do a LOT of Martin neck resets. It is just part of being a Martin owner. Once the neck is set properly, the fingerboard is planed and refretted, and any bridge / bridge plate work is done, they are incredible instruments. If you have a Martin and it is hard to play it is because it needs work, not because Martins are hard to play. I have had my Martin for 25 years. I bought it new. It is a great guitar and it has been played a lot. I had to reset the neck earlier this year. It's not a big deal for luthiers who do enough of them to keep their chops up. Like anything else, it is not brain surgery or rocket science but it is to those who don't do them regularly.
Martin will pay for certain aspects of the repair and others they will not cover because it is considered normal wear. They will usually pay for the neck reset, but not a plane and refret, saddles, nuts, strings, or bridge plates. These are wear items and they are not normally covered. Also, in order for the warranty to apply you must have bought the guitar new and have registered it with Martin or have proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. If you are not the original owner you are out of pocket for the whole thing. One last caution, we see a fair number of poor resets every year that need redoing. Just pick your luthier carefully and not because he is a nice guy or works in the music store or did a good setup for you. This is structural and if not done right can be a real problem visually, playability, and several other ways. The last thing you want is to have to pay for the repair the first time only to have to have it redone and pay again. There are a good number of people who are capable, but experience is the key to a good neck reset.

f5loar
Jul-19-2011, 7:41pm
How much does a Martin neck reset cost these days?

sunburst
Jul-19-2011, 7:46pm
$350 and up.

Bill Van Liere
Jul-19-2011, 7:52pm
Joe Konkoly (Elderly) did a reset for me for about $35.00 on a Martin I registered in 1979, but the usual going rate is about 500+ in this area.

Willie Poole
Jul-19-2011, 8:17pm
Hey folks...Thanks for all of that info...I will surely pass it along to the owner and he has registered it I`m sure he will get it repaired by a Martin approved repairman....if

Jimmy Kittle
Jul-19-2011, 9:50pm
I just had the neck reset on my D76 at Elderlys, I was told about the same price as Bill. They also changed the bridge under warranty as many of them in the 70 were mislocated. It plays like a dream now, and the intonation is much better.

rf37
Jul-20-2011, 3:34am
How much does a Martin neck reset cost these days?

The last reset I had done was on a 1968 D18. It cost me 400 but that was back in 2003. As was saide earlier, truss rods are for relief adj. Martins especialy those with forward shifted bracing tend to belly up (top areea around bridge) and the end result means shaving down the saddle but after so much shaving over years the top stops bellying and then there is cause for neck reset. It is a very presice operation and if needed I would suggest a very trustworthy luthier. It is all just part of owning a great guitar and well woth the mony when done properly. Usualy a reset is needed after about ten to 15 years depending on guitar and climate. I am not a pro but I have agreat Luthier(Mark Kaiseri in Dayton Ohio) that really is great aboout sharing the secrets of his trade

rf37

Ray(T)
Jul-20-2011, 8:41am
I have a 1974 D18 and its never had its neck re-set! I bought it new (£190 it says on the tag) and recall that Martin's reason for not installing an adjustable rod was that they didn't need one 'cos their necks didn't bend - quite a claim. I also recall that in those days they warranted the guitar to the original owner for life, so, put these two together and it may add up to a free repair. Let us know how you get on.

Willie Poole
Jul-20-2011, 10:56am
Another interesting thing about Martin being "hard headed" at times is why did they wait so long to make a compensated bridge and/or nut to allow the B string to note correctly for all chords.....Everyone I have seen needs to have the B string flattened a tad to make a D chord sound right....

When you say "neck reset" are you talking about removing the neck from the body and re installing it? I would never attempt that, I am just curious as to what the term means....I have an Asian made guitar made in 1970 and it has never had any neck work done to it and it plays great and has perfect intonation something that this `73 Martin doesn`t have....It notes sharp at the 12th fret on all strings, the bridge saddle looks to be straight and fitted correctly....The nut slots appear to be a little high which I guess could cause the intonation....But I won`t even attenpt to do anything to it....

I called the fellow up and told him to come pick the guitar up and contact Martin to see what his options are....

Thanks for all of the fine info, you guys are the best....

Willie

sunburst
Jul-20-2011, 11:16am
Yep, a neck re-set means removing the neck from the guitar, correcting the angle and putting the neck back in. The trick is to get the angle right and make it look like nothing happened when it's done. It does take some experience to get it right.
Some Martins from those years have the bridge in the wrong position and intonation is poor. If an authorized Martin repair center tells the Martin factory that that is the case, Martin will pay for correcting that, either through replacing the bridge or filling the saddle slot and re-slotting. The Martin company understands customer relations and stands behind it's warranty!

Chip Booth
Jul-20-2011, 2:53pm
I recently had the neck of my '67 D21 reset, and wow what a difference! The guitar always sounded good, but it really woke up and now has a lot of power and projection while still retaining all of it's broken in character.

Fstpicker
Jul-20-2011, 4:39pm
My understanding from being a long-time member of the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, is that the first year was 1986 when Martin started installing adjustable trussrods on all of their guitars.

Jeff

Nick Triesch
Jul-20-2011, 7:35pm
Taylor guitars have been around for 30 years plus now. I never hear about a lot of neck resets with these guitars. I wonder if it is because of different construction methods? Nick

Fstpicker
Jul-20-2011, 7:41pm
Part of the reason is that a neck reset on a Taylor takes about an hour or two due to their bolt-on necks. So, it is not the expensive, time consuming/labor intensive production that a dove-tail neck joint is when a neck reset is in order.

One thing I have to say is that Taylor has got one thing right...that is in their neck geometry. Some may not care for their sound, but they can't fault their necks.

Jeff

Big Joe
Jul-20-2011, 9:49pm
Yes, even Taylor's need neck resets as do Gibson's and Martin's and Santa Cruz and Bourgeios and Huss and Dalton and .... etc, etc.
A neck reset is not an unusual process on guitars. We also do a good number of mandolin neck resets every year as well. It is not about the brand, but the particular instrument. My Martin had one this past winter. I'd had it 25 years and it finally needed one. It plays and sounds better now than it ever did.

A properly done neck reset with plane and refret and bridge and nut work as needed can make a guitar play better and sound better than it ever did at any time in its life. We see it all the time. While it is not a cheap repair, and should only be done by qualified people, it can really make a difference on your guitar. On the other hand, if it does not need it then don't have it done.

One of the things that really irritates me is when someone takes their guitar to a repair person and instead of having the neck set the repair guy sells him a bridge shave to save a few bucks. It may make the action easier, but it does not resolve the situation. If it needs a neck reset it needs a neck reset and not a bridge shave. If you have the bridge shaved you still need the neck reset and then you will likely have to have a new bridge installed as well. That only increases the cost of the repair and you end up paying quite a bit more than if the repair guy just sold you the right job to begin with. We see this a lot and have to undo what the other guy did before we can do what needs to be done and do it right. One of my pet peeves .

MikeEdgerton
Jul-20-2011, 10:50pm
I can attest to that, I'm about to send my '89 Taylor back for a neck reset.

Jacob
Jul-21-2011, 2:56am
My two '78 Taylors got factory resets around 1984 and haven't needed another.

almeriastrings
Jul-21-2011, 3:21am
One of the things that really irritates me is when someone takes their guitar to a repair person and instead of having the neck set the repair guy sells him a bridge shave to save a few bucks.

Dead right... I have a '62 D-18 sitting here right now that some idiot did that to.

I think the only possible time this could be justified would be on a cheap import guitar which is not viable to reset for economic or technical reasons... even then, it is not a great solution. I've used the "Bridge Doctor" on a few of those... again not with universal success either. On a good guitar, though - never.

Chip Booth
Jul-21-2011, 10:18am
One of the things that really irritates me is when someone takes their guitar to a repair person and instead of having the neck set the repair guy sells him a bridge shave to save a few bucks.

Yep, the nridge on my D21 had been shaved down so much there was barely any left. As a result when I had the neck reset I had to have a new bridge made as well. Fortunately it all turned out wonderfully, but it was a lot of extra effort and expense.

J.Albert
Jul-21-2011, 5:44pm
"Part of the reason is that a neck reset on a Taylor takes about an hour or two due to their bolt-on necks. So, it is not the expensive, time consuming/labor intensive production that a dove-tail neck joint is when a neck reset is in order."

Bourgeois and Huss & Dalton use the bolt-on method, as well.

There was a time when "bolted on necks" were a mark of "cheapness". No more.

I'd like to see Chris Martin experiment with this, too. I know that the "16" series currently uses a bolt-on design, but I believe those necks are glued, in addition to the bolt, so they aren't "readily removable".

C'mon Chris, if you could make the transition to a truss rod, you could give this a try!

- John
P.S. Can anyone recommend a Martin-authorized repair guy who does good neck resets? I'm in the Faifield County (CT) area, but can travel to NY state as well (Hudson valley, Duchess County, etc.)

sunburst
Jul-21-2011, 5:59pm
Just contact Martin and they will recommend someone in your area. They don't just hand out warranty center authorizations willy-nilly, they have qualifications, and recommendation from other reputable folks are required, also they weed out problems regularly by following up on complaints, so if Martin has authorized a repair facility, and recommends it, you can assume it is a good place for your repair and shouldn't be disappointed.

Nick Triesch
Jul-25-2011, 10:01pm
You are right about quality. James Goodall make some of the finest guitars in the world with a bolt on neck. Nick

GRW3
Jul-26-2011, 12:06am
Taylor bolt-ons come in two types, with the change over coming in 1999-2000 depending on the model.

Old Style: The neck has a bolt in the mortise and tenon and the fretboard is glued to the top.

New Style: The entire neck and fretboard is a single bolt on piece. The assembly fits into a precisely machined pocket in the body and top.

The old style is simpler to work on than a glued dovetail or M&T but the fretboard removal still calls for an experienced technician. The new style relies on precise shims to set the neck in the proper position. Maybe you could make your own shims but Taylor already has them available.

The new style does not have fret markers beyond the body joint.

I used to own Taylor guitars. They were very good but I found the Martin tone fits my voice better. I think a GA would make an awesome mandocello and they already have an 8 tuner headstock program. They make 12 strings, 9 string (half a twelve), 8 string baritone (11 22 11) already so why not?

I know my D-18DM may need a neck reset someday. I'm the original owner so I'm covered even though it will be a pain. (I'll have my guitar playing son keep track of the it and me and make sure it gets fixed before I check out :) ) There is something to be said for tradition, though, and the Martin has it in spades. Some people might have a Martin on a 'me-too' basis but I've come to think most Martin players have one because it meets their personal understanding of what a guitar should be.

sunburst
Jul-26-2011, 12:29am
The older Taylor guitars can be re-set without removing the neck from the guitar completely, no need to separate the glue joint from the top. The newer ones with the shims are all recorded at Taylor, with the thickness of the original shims. A luthier only needs to call, and they will send replacement shims of the proper thickness for re-setting the neck.

Mike Bunting
Jul-26-2011, 12:40am
Don't Collings have bolt on necks too?

Nick Triesch
Jul-26-2011, 9:55am
I don't know about the guitars but I do know that the Collings mandolins have a Mortice and Tennon neck joint. Nick

Willie Poole
Jul-26-2011, 8:29pm
some one asked for a follow up on this thread so here is what finally went down.....I called the fellow that owns this guitar and told him that his best bet was to contact Martin and see if they would give him the name and number of a local Martin authorized repairman and that I wouldn`t do what he wanted done to the instrument....He said he did contact them before and they wanted all the info and they would contact him and let him know when to send it back to them so there must not be any authorized repairmen in this area, he also said they would keep it for months (his words, not theres) anyway I told him to come and pick it up....The thing he wanted me to do would have voided the warranty also so I didn`t want that to happen...

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions from all of you...This guitar doesn`t need a neck reset but should have the fingerboard planed because there are some gauges in it from fingernails where he held down the strings...He is aware of that and said Martin would charge for a repair of that kind since wear and tear isn`t part of the warranty.....Everything else on the instrument seems to be in good order except that it is a dog, no decent sound like usually comes from a D-28.....What he wanted me to do was shave the tone bars which I have done on many guitars in the past that weren`t under warranty at the time...

Enough said.....Willie