PDA

View Full Version : Grisman's strap (again)

Daniel Nestlerode
Jul-18-2011, 10:55pm
I did some checking but could not get the straight dope (to use an outdated phrase).

Does anyone sell the kind of strap that David Grisman uses? I'm tired of hitchin my right arm backward. Would like to balance my stance left to right if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
Daniel

SternART
Jul-18-2011, 11:34pm
Hey Daniel......The Dawg leash straps are no longer being made.......but I have a few minty ones, having sold the mandos I had them on. PM me and I'll research what they originally sold for if you want one.......a friend of mine made them.

f5loar
Jul-18-2011, 11:42pm
I thought he used a standard saxaphone strap. My strap goes over my left shoulder so I don't have that right arm backward problem.

Daniel Nestlerode
Jul-19-2011, 12:33am
Hey Daniel......The Dawg leash straps are no longer being made.......but I have a few minty ones, having sold the mandos I had them on. PM me and I'll research what they originally sold for if you want one.......a friend of mine made them.

Art,
Are these the ones that hang around the neck with both ends attached to the scroll?

Daniel

SternART
Jul-19-2011, 12:11pm
Yes....these are like a sax strap idea, but with ends designed to fit to a mandolin scroll.

mandroid
Jul-19-2011, 4:38pm
Can you post some pictures for those of us adventurous DIY types?

Graham Vest
Jul-20-2011, 9:20am
As I read this string of posts I was intrigued! After looking at some pictures of David I could understand what was being described...looks interesting. So...I took an inexpensive leather strap with one end looped for the scroll. I slid the other end (that normaly attaches to the end pin) and, after sliding it therough the slit in the leather that allows one to make the loop, I pushed the loop through the end-pin slit. ('m sure this is as clear as mud!) The end result was a stable strap the hangs around my neck and an adjustable loop that encircles the scroll. I'll have to play with this a bit to see if I like this style of strap placement..but such a strap can be made.

Graham

Andrew DeMarco
Jul-20-2011, 9:23am
Can we get some pictures "up in this piece" (to use some contemporary terminology)?

AlanN
Jul-20-2011, 9:30am
I have wondered about that Dawg leash. For those who have tried it, does it provide good support, placement?

Graham Vest
Jul-20-2011, 11:24am
Here's some pictures of what I did...

I started with this strap:

Then I inserted the tail end through the slit used to make the loop:

Then, the loop itself went through the slit on the tail end:

And, voila the pseudo-Dawg-leash is created:

Hope this helps,
Graham

Darren Bailey
Jul-20-2011, 11:43am
Nice "how to" pics, I wasn't going to, but now I can't resist having a go having seen them.

mandroid
Jul-25-2011, 8:12pm
I was thinking more of a loop on the scroll, l back side,
to catch the Sax Hook on the sling loop around the player's neck.

2 separable bits .. ;)

fredfrank
Jul-26-2011, 7:44am
I had one of the Dawg leash straps back when they came out. It was okay, except it hurt my neck if I played with it too long.

mandroid
Jul-26-2011, 7:21pm
May just use a real sax strap, and shorten it , they are padded..
do something clever to slide around the scroll ..