PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Theory

Imaslipper
Jul-15-2011, 3:59pm
Hey guys,

Just bought a new mandolin! I've been playing guitar for quite a while and recently got back from a trip to Idaho for a family reuinion. Obviously there is quite a bit of bluegrass out there especially since one of my family members plays shows in a group a couple times a week.

Soooo, I picked up the mandolin and got very familiar with it very quick as i've messed with it before and its translates from guitar pretty well (At least in theory).

I was just wondering if someone could give me a website or something of that nature that will help me learn anything from scales to which chords are where etc. When I learned to play guitar I memorized patterns. For instance a simple 1,3,5, tune is extremely simple on a guitar (using barred chords). So basically i'm looking for a fast track to learn these patterns and scales!

Thanks in advance!

Larry S Sherman
Jul-15-2011, 4:42pm
I made two recommendations (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?73093-Most-comprehensive-mandolin-book&p=927324#post927324) in a recent thread that I think apply to your questions as well.

You could probably get a lot out of reading everyone's comments and suggestions there.

Good luck and welcome to the cafe!

Larry

Imaslipper
Jul-15-2011, 4:53pm
Thanks appreciate it!